View Full Version : Converged device dilema - help

lesterm
03-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before...

I'm having trouble deciding what device to get. I want:

* A converged device
* WM5
* keyboard
* Small

I want it for:

* Taking notes through out the day, keeping track of my time
* Phone/sms
* PIM functions
* MP3

The list of possibilies seems to be:

K-Jam (etc)

good:

* small
* keyboard
* 'proper' qvga screen

bad

* small screen (i know - small device...!)
* Processor (although my wifes got a k-jam and it really doesn't feel slow at all)

hw6900

good:

* very convenient thumboard
* xscale processor (although the omap might be better for phone device...)
* large screen

bad:

* 240x240 screen
* big-ish
* not exactly subtle for putting on the pub table...

HTC Universal

good:

* VGA!
* Big screen
* good keyboard
* Cool!
* 520Mhz

bad:

* Big, not 'convenient' keyboard
* sluggish?
* not subtle...

So, I think it's the k-jam, but can anyone shed any light on anything I've missed or any real world useage issues?

I appreciate your time,

Lesterm

martin_ayton
03-08-2006, 04:50 PM
The Universal does not count as 'small'

The K-Jam is probably your best bet if you really need a built-in keyboard, especially if you've used your wife's and you know your fingers and its keyboard are compatible. Like many have said elsewhere: the processor clock speed is misleading and the OMAP internal architechture makes it pretty slick. Where I have heard some complaints about speed is when people want to make it heavily multitask...

However, just to add to your confusion, and since you want something more subtle to put on the bar, you might want to consider something like a Jam-in (which is essentially the same as the K-Jam but with no keyboard and a full SIDO slot) or an ETEN M600 (aka Torq P120). They are small and convenient for the evenings and weekends and, when you want a keyboard, you could use something like ThinkOutside's folding, bluetooth enabled gizmo which you may find easier to touch-type on than the one built in to the K-Jam. The ETEN M600 also has a rather fast Samsung 400Hz processor and I haven't heard anyone complain about its ability to handle whatever is thrown at it.

lesterm
03-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks Martin - some good points. The keyboard-less M600 does look good.

I borrowed the wifes k-jam for a 'trial' at work today and I'm not so sure now that a keyboard is for me. I think I'm just as fast or faster with Fitaly or letter reconiser. I know it seems petty, but opening keyboard and rotating seems more hassle than it's worth most of the time.

Right - M600... No, hw6900. Universal. No. aarghhh.

thanks again

Lesterm

Janak Parekh
03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
I borrowed the wifes k-jam for a 'trial' at work today and I'm not so sure now that a keyboard is for me. I think I'm just as fast or faster with Fitaly or letter reconiser. I know it seems petty, but opening keyboard and rotating seems more hassle than it's worth most of the time.
That may be, but my experience suggests that it takes a few days of use before one becomes efficient with a thumbboard.

--janak

lesterm
03-09-2006, 01:33 AM
That may be, but my experience suggests that it takes a few days of use before one becomes efficient with a thumbboard.

--janak

I think you're right there, Janak. Thats what wifey said this evening too.

I really want the Universal - it rocks my boat more than the others. But I'd feel really daft at work/pub. Maybe it'd be ok - I dunno.

I love the small size of the k-jam, but spreadsheets aren't as good as on my hx4700! The universal would be.

Maybe the hw6900 would be a good compromise, with GPS too! But losing all those pixels, I dunno.

Thanks for the input - it all helps!

Janak Parekh
03-11-2006, 02:23 AM
I really want the Universal - it rocks my boat more than the others. But I'd feel really daft at work/pub. Maybe it'd be ok - I dunno.

I love the small size of the k-jam, but spreadsheets aren't as good as on my hx4700! The universal would be.
No doubt. Alas, there is no perfect device yet. :cry: Good luck with your choosing. I've found I can manage with a small (240x240) screen, but I often carry a laptop with me.

--janak

ctmagnus
03-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Alas, there is no perfect device yet. :cry:

Tell me about it! I still use an iPaq 5550 while I wait for my next perfect device to come along.

Janak Parekh
03-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Tell me about it! I still use an iPaq 5550 while I wait for my next perfect device to come along.
You'll be waiting a long time, I suspect. :( I do think, BTW, a lot of the newer devices are "closer to perfection" than the 5550.

--janak

lesterm
03-12-2006, 03:04 AM
hi again! I ended up getting a Wizard. As much as I lusted after the Universal I wanted something I could carry around all the time.

Over here in the uk, O2 are selling it (xda mini s) for only £50 on even their cheapest (£19) 12mnth contract!

Very different to the hx4700 obviously but like it very much for different reasons.

Very happy so far and the keyboard is much more useful, esp with WM5, than I thought it'd be.

Thanks for your comments

Janak Parekh
03-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. :) In my opinion, the small size is a decent compromise for the reduced screen resolution.

--janak

pocketpcadmirer
03-13-2006, 08:48 AM
I would say, you are still in safe boat !! You should thank God that most of your software(not using VGA) will still work(as you didnt bought a sqaure screen device)

Sunny :)