View Full Version : Acer N311 or Dell X51v?

genik23
03-07-2006, 07:39 PM
So.

After much researching, i have narrowed my new toy down to two potential candidates - the new Acer N311 (£235) or the Dell X51v (£265).

However, that's as far as i've got and trying to take the decision making any further is threatening to reduce me to a twitching wreck on the carpet. Basically, as my mother always told me, i need help.

The PDA is coming with me on a three month international wander as my link to the civilised world - it's going to be used as a means for walkabout GPS (via a plugin SD receiver), VOIP & WiFi, general storage and viewer for my digi camera, mp3 player, ebook, needs to be light and inconspicuous (less bulge means less mugging) and keep powered up for a decent while for those intercity road journeys between power sockets.

However, snob that i am, being as technologically shiny as possible is also in its favour.

Anyone able to help me decide?

Andy Whiteford
03-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Both devices will do you fine. Provided the best graphic / video performance is not high on your list or dual slots, the Acer may be your best choice. Check out my blog for a video of it.

genik23
03-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Cheers andy, checking your video now :)

However, i've just noticed the GPS reciever i was going to get is CF, so i guess that may rule the Acer out. Plus dell have just dopped the x51v to £215 :D

Bit of a novice question though - i notice the acer does USB host but the dell doesn't seem to have any (obvious) USB connectivity - can i use the dell for directly hooking up to a digi camera or a usb key?

Nurhisham Hussein
03-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately no.

indiekiduk
06-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I believe the x51v has its own set of issues you will have to research. However the n311 doesnt power on if you leave it off over night so that issue alone might swing you towards getting a dell.

thierryb
06-05-2006, 06:13 AM
I believe the x51v has its own set of issues you will have to research. However the n311 doesnt power on if you leave it off over night so that issue alone might swing you towards getting a dell.
This is not a problem of the n311. Mine have not that issue.
Main differences:
size: n311 is better
video: X51v is better
usbhost: n311 only
And perhaps others I do not know.
T

Andy Whiteford
06-05-2006, 09:37 AM

You can leave the n311 off overnight without any problem at all - I do every night! The issues seems related to the WM5 ActiveSync issue and exchange server synchronisation. You can circumvent this using the fake exchange server trick and it seems to affect most WM5 Pocket PCs. The latest ROM for the n311 (v1.00.16) is excellent.

indiekiduk
06-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I tried the exchange work around which is fine for 1 night, but if you leave it for over 2 nights it still happens.

Andy Whiteford
06-12-2006, 09:28 AM
I tried the exchange work around which is fine for 1 night, but if you leave it for over 2 nights it still happens.

Leave it for 2 nights without using it??? Are you mad? :D