View Full Version : Branded vs Unlocked Phones

yardcat
03-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I finally ended up getting the T-Mo MDA branded Wizard, but now I'm not sure I made the right decision.

Even though T-Mo issists my zip code in Phoenix has 100% Edge, I'll swear the web pages are loading at Gprs speeds and usually take a good solid 15+ seconds to load. Unfortunately, without hacking, there is no edge signal indicator. To get on the "Total Internet", I was prompted to register a password to access the MY T-Mobile web page (I hate these cutsey names). This then routed me to my slow internet experience. I saw nothing in the user guide about how to make the device point to the internet2voicestream API that I read about in these forums (and don't really understand).

I assumed that MY T-Mobile was just a psudonym, and was in fact the required access point (internet2voicestream.com). Also from reading the Howard Forums MDA link mentioned earlier, there are all kinds of hacks (risky too!) that one must perform to make this device fully useable. I'll admit I haven't played around with this phone too much, because I'm thinking about returning it, for a cheaper phone/modem and I don't want to scratched.

Maybe there is a way to increase the speed of this phone but a more important question for me is:

What do forum contributors think about the pros and cons of unlocked vs. branded phones in general.

- Thanks, yardcat.

robshobs
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Even though T-Mo issists my zip code in Phoenix has 100% Edge, I'll swear the web pages are loading at Gprs speeds and usually take a good solid 15+ seconds to load.

I can't help you with any of the T-Mobile stuff but I can direct you to a mobile website to test bandwidth. This will help you determine if you are getting EDGE speeds.

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

Rob

SteveHoward999
03-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Also be aware that PocketIE renders pages very slowly. If you can get Opera to install on your device you might get a faster browsing experience.