View Full Version : Lefties - how do you use your PPC?

Mark Larson
03-06-2006, 04:07 AM
Since I started using my PPC in earnest, I have a tough time using the stylus, especially on the scroll bar - my hand blocks the entire screen while I'm scrolling, so I can't see what I'm scrolling past! :oops:

Its even worse if I turn the display into landscape mode - I try to use the D-pad to scroll, but I do sometimes need to use the stylus. Righties - is it the same for you, do you find your hand blocking the screen a lot?

Mark

tospappy
03-06-2006, 04:26 AM
As a lefty who has been using ppc's for about 7 years, I think I subconciously developed the finger stretch/cruch. Holding the stylus in my left hand as with a pen, with the base of my palm (hand) touching the bottom of the PDA, I scrunch up my fingers to tape the down arrow, or extend them to hit the up arrow. Though when draging the slider, I start with a stretch and then scrunch. I had never really thought about how I did this till I read your post. I immediately picked up my Ipaq and watch what I did as I scrolled. It might cause some cramping of the hand or fingers. If it does, I must have just gotten past it. You wil still block the lower right third of the screen, but since I never thought about it before, guess I just dealt with the issue.

Also, since the d-pad on my Ipaq 5500 no longer functions, my only choice is to use the stylus. If I am going to do some major work, I just unpack my serial keyboard and go to town.

tospappy

Nurhisham Hussein
03-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Its even worse if I turn the display into landscape mode - I try to use the D-pad to scroll, but I do sometimes need to use the stylus.
Mark

How about you turn the landscape mode to left handed?

Menneisyys
03-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Since I started using my PPC in earnest, I have a tough time using the stylus, especially on the scroll bar - my hand blocks the entire screen while I'm scrolling, so I can't see what I'm scrolling past! :oops:

Its even worse if I turn the display into landscape mode - I try to use the D-pad to scroll, but I do sometimes need to use the stylus. Righties - is it the same for you, do you find your hand blocking the screen a lot?

Mark

1. unfortunaterly, on Windows Mobile devices, you can't relocate the scrollbar from the right to the left. The OS just doesn't support it.

2. As hishamh has pointed out, you may want to use the left-handed Landscape mode (instead of the default right-handed one). It won't relocate the scrollbar either but, at least, the D-pad will be on the right.

Mark Larson
03-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I do in fact have it rotate clockwise so the D-pad is on the right. Then I can sometimes use the D-pad buttons to scroll. Scrolling with the stylus is weird because when I need to do text entry, I have to use my left hand. I'm comfortable using my right hand for everything else.

I guess I should start training to be ambidextrous. :lol:

Nurhisham Hussein
03-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I just tried it - you're right, it's a bummer having the scrollbar where it is. Ok, one more silly suggestion - how about using your right thumb to scroll?

scottb
03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
As a lefty who has been using ppc's for about 7 years, I think I subconciously developed the finger stretch/cruch. Holding the stylus in my left hand as with a pen, with the base of my palm (hand) touching the bottom of the PDA, I scrunch up my fingers to tape the down arrow, or extend them to hit the up arrow. [snip...]
tospappy

I find myself using a similar method. Frankly, I seldom use the stylus. More often I will use the D-Pad, then tap with a finger nail when necessary.

isajoo
03-07-2006, 06:50 AM
i'm lefty too... but on my toshiba e750 i have a up/down & enter scroll wheel on the leftside that i use all the time for browsing the web... also when using the stylus i tend to hold it as far away as possible from the tip, that way only the stylus is blocking the view... only use stylus for little keyboard typing(have a full screen landscape keyboard for major pocketpc thoughts typing) :lol: or to reset the dumb pda once everyday... :evil:

Janak Parekh
03-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I've rarely had a problem with this, believe it or not. I simply scroll a bit and then look. Generally, I can see enough of the screen while scrolling to get an idea. In addition, like other posters, I use the dpad a lot, which mitigates the blocking effect.

--janak

CTSLICK
03-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I think most lefties are so used to covering up things with their hands that we are accustomed to it and simply compensate. Also, I'm an "overhanded" lefty so I tend to rest my hand on the top of my device and kind of curl my stylus around to the right side to use the scroll bar. I don't cover up much but the title bars that way.

Oh yeah...and I still resent that I could fix this on my Palm IIIx but I still can't do anything about it after 3 interations of Win CE/Pocket PC/Windows Mobile.

buss
03-09-2006, 02:51 AM
I never noticed an issue with this before. I had to slow down and take a hard look at how I was working it. Nothing special, hold the PDA in the right hand low near the base and hold the stylus with the lift like pencil, but with the fingers are way back from the point so that when I tap, scroll or drag nothing really blocks my view.

My biggest problem is usually some where along the lines of trying to look up a telephone number while speaking with someone on the telephone and at the same time trying to take notes with an ink-pen.

Multi-taskng will only work when we get an extra set of arms and hands.
:P

yeti
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM
i am a lefty, but thankfully fairly ambi. It makes things much easier.