View Full Version : T-Mobile Model SDA w/ WM5

clbsvi
03-05-2006, 08:28 AM
I just bought a new T-Mobile Model SDA w/ WM5 (3 days ago). Active Sync 4.1 (AS4.1) was on the accompanying CD.
Does anybody have any experience with this phone ?? Would like to hear your opinions and ideas.
So far I like it fine. Has Wi-Fi and BT ver 2.0, a 1.3 Mpixel camera, space for a 512MB mini-SD card and so on. AS4.1 works great with both an HP iPAQ 2495 and a Centino-Toshiba M45-S269. AS4.1 syncs perfectly on the Toshiba via USB 2.0 cable. BT still sucks but >>tries<< to work about every 3 or 4 times for AS. BT works a little better with miscellaneous inter-device connectivity services like file exchange and printer sharing, etc. BT Widcomm Stack works best. The Toshiba Intel/Windows XP2 BT stack just disappeared following XP SP2 Security upgrades, so I had to add a Kensington BT USB 2.0 radio to make BT work on the Toshiba. BT seems to work fine on both the iPAQ qnd the T-Mobile SDA. IMHO, BT should be totally replaced with WiFi (with a software power adjustment, say a slider, for all BT functions).
Simultaneously, the proponents (developers) of the BT standard should be banished into Outer Darkness (just joking, I think, but I really HATE Bluetooth and think it is excessively troublesome for very limited, paranoid gains in security).
Of course, that (BT) is just my opinion. I'm really interested in your opinions about the SDA phone, and apologize in advance for my ravings about BT. After all, it does provide employment and diversion for its afficianados. For me, it cost about 60 wasted manhours and a waste of
$75.00 US in additional hardware and software, for very little added benefit.

Vincent M Ferrari
03-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I've tinkered around with the SDA quite a bit and I actually like it. Performance is good, and the WiFi was a nice touch. The softkeys under the screen are way too small for my tastes, but overall it's a nice and very polished package.

If you really want to get to the heart of what people think about it, though, you'd probably be better off checking out Smartphone Thoughts (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/), a sister site to this one, where they specialize in Windows Mobile for Smartphones.

Enjoy the new device! You're going to be really happy with it. One of the pickiest guys in my office got it and he can't stop talking about it.

clbsvi
03-08-2006, 03:16 AM
I appreciate your reply and your reference to the alternate site for Smartphone info. I also found "Howard's Forums.com which is both carrier specific and phone specific. I also like the SDA, but in hindsight should have gone with the MDA because of the keyboard on the MDA. Both phones are powerful, but the SDA, as you may already know, uses the "Smartphone Version" of WM5, whereas the MDA uses the basic PPC version of WM5. I am more familiar w/ the PPC version from also owning an HP iPAQ 2495. s/ Lee Browning 3/7/06