View Full Version : Hacking Security Policy

robshobs
03-03-2006, 10:34 PM
I am hoping that someone out there can help me out with this problem. I recently installed GoodLink on my PPC phone. I'm very pleased with GoodLink :D but unfortunately, my company forced a password policy onto my device that requires a password on every power-up. I'm not opposed to this, as it is good security, what bugs me is the max setting I can set the "prompt if device unused for" for anything above 30 minutes. :?

So, any ideas how I can edit the security policy? Or hack the registry?

Thank you for your help.

Rob

Menneisyys
03-04-2006, 09:07 AM
I am hoping that someone out there can help me out with this problem. I recently installed GoodLink on my PPC phone. I'm very pleased with GoodLink :D but unfortunately, my company forced a password policy onto my device that requires a password on every power-up. I'm not opposed to this, as it is good security, what bugs me is the max setting I can set the "prompt if device unused for" for anything above 30 minutes. :?

So, any ideas how I can edit the security policy? Or hack the registry?

Thank you for your help.

Rob

Is that a proprietary, this-party password application? The built-in one in WM has always (I've checked with WM2003 too) allowed for much more time-out values (up to 24 hours):

http://www.winmobiletech.com/kuvat/PasswordAppletTimeoutTimes.bmp.png

robshobs
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Is that a proprietary, this-party password application? The built-in one in WM has always (I've checked with WM2003 too) allowed for much more time-out values (up to 24 hours):

No. It's the WM password screen. Same as your image displays. Once GoodLink installed, I received a message that the device must have a password and was then taken to the screen to input a password. When I go to the screen now, the "Prompt if deviced unused for" is checked and grayed. I cannot uncheck it. The dropdown box only goes to 30 minutes.

I'm thinking that a group or system policy was deployed to my device with the GoodLink install. I've searched MS and I can find a few vague references to Exchange, WM and policies but nothing solid that I can use. The policy may be setup via the Exchange Resource Kit. But this is beyond me.

Rob

qco1
03-13-2006, 04:39 AM
I am in the same situation. The max that I can set the security at is 30 min. If anybody has any ideas please advise.
Thanks,
QCO

Janak Parekh
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
You mean, with GoodLink installed? I don't see how there's any easy solution -- the whole point is that the company has leverage to lock down your device for corporate security purposes. By definition there shouldn't be any workaround, otherwise GoodLink's lockdown solution would be useless.

--janak