View Full Version : Vetran PPC user, but new to PPC-PE

brianchris
03-03-2006, 04:34 AM
As the title of this thread indicates, I'm a veteran PPC user. I've been using Pocket PC's since their launch in April of 2000 and I've owned devices with all PPC operating systems on them (except WM 2003 SE).....I've even owned a black and white Pocket PC (the Compaq Aero 1500 series)...now how many here can say that! :wink:

Anyway, while I've been around the block with PPC's, I am extremely new to Phone Edition devices. Although I've wanted a Phone Edition for years now, various cirsumstances finally allowed me to purchase one (Cingular 8125). Needless to say, I have some questions, and I'm sure you veteran PPC-PE users out there will find these questions super easy. In addition, some of these questions might be related to the fact I'm new to the WM5 OS as well. Here are some inital questions (with more to follow, I'm sure):

-How the heck do I install applications to my storage card when running the exe from my PC? The option "install to default location" is checked and is constantly greyed out.....feel like I'm forgetting something really stupid here. For that matter, how would I install a downloaded cab to a storage card on the device directly (now that I have an extremely connected device)?

-Is it true the device can NOT ring AND vibrate when recieving a call?

-Is it true I can NOT have missed calls, voicemail, and/or text message notifications repeat their alarms? (The option to repeat is greyed out for those types of notifications......WHY?)

Thanks in advance, especially since more questions will undoubtedly follow.

-Brian

Janak Parekh
03-03-2006, 05:52 AM
-How the heck do I install applications to my storage card when running the exe from my PC?
WM5 actually asks you on the device once the CAB is copied over. So, don't worry about the checkmark, and go ahead and start the install, and look on your Pocket PC's screen.

-Is it true the device can NOT ring AND vibrate when recieving a call?
Depends on the device. Play with the settings in the Phone and Sounds&Notifications applets. I can't speak for the 8125, but the Treo has separate ring and vibrate options (although I haven't tried it).

-Is it true I can NOT have missed calls, voicemail, and/or text message notifications repeat their alarms? (The option to repeat is greyed out for those types of notifications......WHY?)
I don't believe any such functionality is built into the OS. While there might be third-party apps that can do this, I typically just look at the top bar for notifications (envelopes, phone with exclamation, phone with message indicator). The lower-left soft key also turns into "Notification" when these things happen. Did you rely on periodic chirping on your older cell phone?

--janak

laser
03-04-2006, 06:03 AM
I have the 8125 and was concerned at first when I did not see this option. I finally found it. Click Start>Settings>Sounds and Notifications. Select the Notification Tab. Click on Event until you see Phone: Incoming call. You can then select the ring type of Vibrate and ring. It works great.

As far as installing to sim I have notice that when you install from the PC your PPC will ask if you want to install. You click yes or the left soft button and then it will ask if you want it installed to internal memory or the memory card. I am not sure if all software does this but so far I have noticed several that have.

If you have any other questions on the 8125 I will try to help. Like you I am a long time PPC user that gladly moved to a PPC phone. I have spent many, many nights learning about the 8125 and would be gald you help if I have the answer.

Good luck.

brianchris
03-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't believe any such functionality is built into the OS. While there might be third-party apps that can do this, I typically just look at the top bar for notifications (envelopes, phone with exclamation, phone with message indicator). The lower-left soft key also turns into "Notification" when these things happen. Did you rely on periodic chirping on your older cell phone?

--janak

I guess I did rely on that feature. There's no gaurantee that I'll hear the first notification (especially if I'm in a noisy enviornment, etc.), so having the phone continue to beep until I at least dismissed the notification was extremely valuable. Its surprising that the repeat option checkbox is prsent for those types of notifications, but greyed out! It seems like this would of taken extra OS code to grey out that feature...why not let users have the option? I think my scenario is common and realistic.

Regardless, everything else about the phone is absolutely fantastic! Thank you for your reply!!

-Brian

brianchris
03-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I have the 8125 and was concerned at first when I did not see this option. I finally found it. Click Start>Settings>Sounds and Notifications. Select the Notification Tab. Click on Event until you see Phone: Incoming call. You can then select the ring type of Vibrate and ring. It works great.

If you have any other questions on the 8125 I will try to help. Like you I am a long time PPC user that gladly moved to a PPC phone. I have spent many, many nights learning about the 8125 and would be gald you help if I have the answer.

Good luck.

You are correct....it was right there! I don't know how I missed it.

Thank you for your reply, and your offer to help!

Jerry Raia
03-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I was a bit disappointed that I cannot set profiles up with one tap, like Vibrate, or Vibrate/Ring etc.

clbsvi
03-05-2006, 08:42 AM
For ringing in a noisy area, I stick to vibrate-only. In less noisy areas, I select an long-playing tune set on max (Level 5) loudness, though this will get you some funny looks in restuarants and stores. Needless to say, you'd better stick with vibrate-only in a courtroom, classroom or in church.
My new T-Mobile Model SDA w/ WM5 has a "Speaker-phone" volume setting, but so far, I can't find how to activate this feature.

brianchris
03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
The best featutre of WM5 (and therefore the 8125) is the persistant storage.....personally, I'm much rather give up slight preformance (read/write times) than worry that I'll loose all my data if I drain my battery (which is likely to occur on a Phone Edition Pocket PC). However, I just wanted to take this moment to confirm persistent storage IS a feature of WM5/the 8125? I'd hate to have a false sense of security, and learn I was wrong when it was too late. :wink:

Also, I've discovered what the second best feature of the 8125 is: Windows Media Player 10!! I freakin LOVE syncronizing playlists with my Pocket PC!!! EVEN playlists that included protected/DRM content! WOW!! However, I have a problem reagrding Media sync in Activesync. When I decided to attempt media syncronization, I had Media Player 10 open on my desktop, and it discovered my device before I had a chance to configure Activesync for the Media option. Anyway, I completed the desktop's Media Player wizzard (which worked perfectly!), and then went and added the "Media" option in Activesync.

Problem is, now, everytime I connect, Activesync indicates I need to setup a pertnership for the Media feature :( How do I correct this? One option is to cancel all media syncronization and start back from scratch, but I'm not sure how to do that (either in Activesync of desktop Media Player). Any advice here would be much appreciated!

Thanks again!

-Brian

Janak Parekh
03-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I was a bit disappointed that I cannot set profiles up with one tap, like Vibrate, or Vibrate/Ring etc.
I believe there are third-party apps that add this functionality to Pocket PC.

--janak

Janak Parekh
03-06-2006, 09:39 PM
For ringing in a noisy area, I stick to vibrate-only. In less noisy areas, I select an long-playing tune set on max (Level 5) loudness, though this will get you some funny looks in restuarants and stores. Needless to say, you'd better stick with vibrate-only in a courtroom, classroom or in church.
I'm even simpler: I just keep mine on vibrate 99.9% of the time. The only time I'll turn off the vibrate (and the Treo has a handy hardware switch to do so) is if I need to keep the phone out of my pocket for any reason. But to each their own. :)

My new T-Mobile Model SDA w/ WM5 has a "Speaker-phone" volume setting, but so far, I can't find how to activate this feature.
When you're in the call, press and hold the green/send button until an icon appears in the top. This has worked for every Smartphone and Pocket PC Phone I've owned.

--janak

Janak Parekh
03-06-2006, 09:57 PM
The best featutre of WM5 (and therefore the 8125) is the persistant storage.....personally, I'm much rather give up slight preformance (read/write times) than worry that I'll loose all my data if I drain my battery (which is likely to occur on a Phone Edition Pocket PC). However, I just wanted to take this moment to confirm persistent storage IS a feature of WM5/the 8125? I'd hate to have a false sense of security, and learn I was wrong when it was too late. :wink:
Yup, it is. Try taking out the battery and putting it back in. ;)

Problem is, now, everytime I connect, Activesync indicates I need to setup a pertnership for the Media feature :( How do I correct this?
Honestly, I personally wouldn't. All media sync does is to automatically start WMP10 sync as soon as you cradle your device. However, this can be inconvenient in some cases. I actually started with the media sync and turned it off because I found it too annoying.

One option is to cancel all media syncronization and start back from scratch, but I'm not sure how to do that (either in Activesync of desktop Media Player). Any advice here would be much appreciated!
You can change the sync settings in the sync tab in WMP, and turn it off there, I believe. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll poke around.

--janak

Jerry Raia
03-06-2006, 11:58 PM
I believe there are third-party apps that add this functionality to Pocket PC.

--janak

Yeah I was hoping. I've been casually looking around but haven't found one yet.

Janak Parekh
03-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Search for "profiles" or "phone profiles" on this board.. I know we've posted on a few.

--janak

clbsvi
03-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Thanks for your reply. PPC Thoughts is one of the best info web sites for all things "handheld" in the PPC arena, with excellent links to related other sites. I owe a lot of "knowledge" to you, Jason Dunn, Darius Way, Hishamh, Menneisyys and many other gurus who take pity on an un-informed wanderer such as I. Sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I really mean it. You guys are the best.
s/ Lee Browning (a high-tech "red-neck from NW Florida. More likely a low-tech hick.)

Jerry Raia
03-08-2006, 03:43 AM
Search for "profiles" or "phone profiles" on this board.. I know we've posted on a few.

--janak

Found a couple. Both flakey on the 8125 (PZP and phoneAlarm).

Darius Wey
03-08-2006, 01:25 PM

Does Phone Profiles (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46548) work for you?

Jerry Raia
03-08-2006, 05:41 PM

Does Phone Profiles (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46548) work for you?

Nope, they all seem to have trouble switching in and out of Vibrate mode. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Even when they do go into the mode the vibrate icon never shows. You are never quite sure.

Darius Wey
03-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Nope, they all seem to have trouble switching in and out of Vibrate mode. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Even when they do go into the mode the vibrate icon never shows. You are never quite sure.

Hmm, how annoying. It kind of makes you wish the next version of Windows Mobile includes some sort of profiles plug-in.

Jerry Raia
03-08-2006, 06:06 PM

Hmm, how annoying. It kind of makes you wish the next version of Windows Mobile includes some sort of profiles plug-in.

Yeah like the Smartphone versions have always had! :mrgreen: