View Full Version : "Unable to obtain an servier-assigned IP address..."??

Radost
03-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi,
I cant connect the internet throug WLAN with my Eten M600. In public Hotspots for examle, its no problem getting access to the Internet with my Laptop. But with the Pocket PC, I get this error message:

"Unable to obtain an servier-assigned IP address. Try again later or enter
an IP address in Network Settings".

The strange thing is, I see the Hotspot in the settings. Actually the settings says "connectet" and I can see even the signal up- and downloadspeed etc. I treid to set it back several times, tried with the default settings...

Anybody any suggestions???

Thanks!

Radost

Janak Parekh
03-03-2006, 05:46 AM
It means that while it can see the access point, it's not successfully communicating with it. The primary cause of this is connecting to a base station/access point that's WEP encrypted without the correct WEP key.

I don't quite understand where you're having trouble with this, though. You said it works in public hotspots? So where doesn't it?

--janak

Radost
03-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, my Laptop works in public hotspots, but not my Pocket PC.

For me it looks like the phone makes a successful connection to the internet, but the programs (e.g. internet explorer) are not able to use this connection...

Cybrid
03-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Well, my Laptop works in public hotspots, but not my Pocket PC.

For me it looks like the phone makes a successful connection to the internet, but the programs (e.g. internet explorer) are not able to use this connection...

connection manager or ip renewal tool? If the WEP was correct but the PPC refused to obtain an IP.... www.cam.com vxip
If you got the desired, 192.168.xxx.xxx address then research Al Jarvi's connection manager guide. It's somewhat dated but useful nonetheless.

freitasm
03-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Are you connected ok even with this message? If yes, this can be related to another adapter, not the wireless one.

Check on Settings|Connections|Configure Network adapters that 'Remote-NDIS Host' is set to use a specific IP address of 169.254.2.1, subnet 255.255.0.0, default gateway 169.254.2.2, and not an automatic address.