View Full Version : Calligerapher 8.2 is not compatible with windows mobile 2005. WHY?

scarletknight96
03-01-2006, 03:18 AM
For what ever reason, I can not get calligerapher to work on my new ipaq 2795. However, transcriber works like a dream? But, I have been using calligerapher for the past few years.

Darius Wey
03-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Can you please elaborate? What do you mean by it "not working"?

Does it install? Does it show up in the Input menu? Does it refuse to launch even when you tap Calligrapher in the menu?

scarletknight96
03-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Calligrapher 8.2 installs normally. It launches itself, giving you the optoin to select which method you want to write in, i.e. write pad, write anywhere etc.... That's as far it goes, as far as it is funcitoning. You can not select the previously mentioned writing tools IF you do select write anywhere or the write pad, a keyboard appears. I have tried everything for this application to function, to no avail. In the meanwhile, I have been using windows mobile transcriber2. Which to my surprise, is very much as adequate as calligrapher 8.2.

Darius Wey
03-01-2006, 04:03 PM
A-ha. The old resources issue.

This isn't a problem specific to CalliGrapher, but rather, any third party SIP consuming a fair amount of resources. System add-ons such as Today plug-ins, SIPs, and background operations all run under the same process, which in turn, consumes the number of GDI resources available. Once the system process runs out of resources, whatever is attempting to load fails (and in this case, the SIP).

A suggestion is to disable some of your active Today plug-ins to free up resources, but there's not much fun in that. Another suggestion is to soft-reset, but this will rarely solve the problem, since before and after the soft-reset, you'll have the same plug-ins, SIPs and background operations loaded anyway; so, you may have to resort to the former.

A few months ago, there was reason to believe that this issue was corrected in Windows Mobile 5.0, but based on recent feedback from users, it appears the issue is still present, unfortunately.

scarletknight96
03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks Darius