View Full Version : Switching to a new computer

jayson
02-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey,

I just got a new computer, and i was wondering how i can transfer all my stuff from it. Like Outlook and a few programs. I got my documents and everything else, but i don't know how to get the outlook on it.

SteveHoward999
02-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Not sure how good it is, coz I never used it, but you could try the built-in File and Settings Transfer Wizard, assuming you are using XP on both machines

Start > Accessories > System Tools > File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

If you are using Outlook Express, Express Assist is well worth the money http://www.ajsystems.com/ea.html

It backs up your MY Documents, Internet Explorer favourites and settings, Outlook Express, mail settings (but not passwords) and a whole lot more.

If I remember right the evaluation version is fully-functioning so you can try before you buy ...

Mark Kenepp
02-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Unless you are connected to an exchange server, Outlook stores its data in a "Personal Folders" file that uses a .pst extension.

SteveHoward's suggestion of using the file transfer utility will probably transfer that file for you but you could do it manually.

Just locate the file, move it to the new computer (when Outlook is Closed) and when setting up Outlook on the new computer, get it to point to the *.pst file you moved from the old computer.

There is also a way to import the data.

There are several ways to locate the personal folders file that your Outlook is using. The easiest is to right click on the folder set in Outlook (the top tier in the folder hierarchy when looking at the "folder list") selecting properties then clicking on the "Advanced" button. Here you will see the file name along with the path to the file.

The pst file does not contain any settings (email account data, username and password), only the data you are accessing in Outlook (email messages, contacts, appointments, etc.)

It is good to know where this data is stored anyway if you perform manual backups.

Cybrid
02-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Unless you are connected to an exchange server, Outlook stores its data in a "Personal Folders" file that uses a .pst extension.

SteveHoward's suggestion of using the file transfer utility will probably transfer that file for you but you could do it manually.

Just locate the file, move it to the new computer (when Outlook is Closed) and when setting up Outlook on the new computer, get it to point to the *.pst file you moved from the old computer.

There is also a way to import the data.

There are several ways to locate the personal folders file that your Outlook is using. The easiest is to right click on the folder set in Outlook (the top tier in the folder hierarchy when looking at the "folder list") selecting properties then clicking on the "Advanced" button. Here you will see the file name along with the path to the file.

The pst file does not contain any settings (email account data, username and password), only the data you are accessing in Outlook (email messages, contacts, appointments, etc.)

It is good to know where this data is stored anyway if you perform manual backups..
XP's User State Migration Tool is probably the best way to move everything. Be aware it doesn't by default include non-standard file locations. It'll backup your "my documents" but if a program saves to a different location..c:/program files/program/saved file...it is somewhat more complicated. There may be a way to include specific folders but at present I've just scoured my pc & moved those manually.

For Outlook, Use the import/export wizard which can import/export .pst folders as well. No need to dig around for actual pst which is quite a few levels deep.

Save the export PST to an easy to find location on the old PC & use a BIG USB key or CD.
Copy the PST into the new PC (put it a few levels in, so it's hard for you to later find & worry about....WTF is this?) note the path.
When importing Outlook doesn't copy the file over, it simply opens it. So now direct New Outlook to the saved PST you'd like opened.

Some tips, I learned the hard way. :rolleyes:
By default, it saves the export pst in a location I'd need a map to find. The file is huge. I assumed that importing the PST from the CD was all that was needed. Then opened a PST I saved to desktop and tried to delete it. Now, it's c:..my documents/don't touch/Outlook PST old/..*

jayson
02-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Wow, Kool!!!!

Thanks for all those tips! I"ll go try it right now :D