View Full Version : Pocket Outlook auto send/recieve

Imageman
02-27-2006, 01:53 AM
I cannot get pocket outlook to reliably perform an auto send/recieve- any thoughts?

Does pocket outlook have to be open? Does the phone (I am using WM5- Treo) have to be on?

Its really driving me nuts! :)

setec
02-27-2006, 02:14 AM
I had this same problem with my 700w. I eventually went with 4smartphone.net for $3.95 a month. It allows your phone to connect to their activesync server and sync your email, contacts, tasks, and calendar. And you don't need a new email address. I use my gmail account with it perfectly.

Although its not free, its worth it to me because I went through all those headaches of trying to get the pocket outlook to sync accurately.

jeremyjoslin
02-27-2006, 02:45 AM
works fine for me on the 8150. even if Messaging is closed and phone is 'off'. maybe quirk of 700w.

Imageman
02-27-2006, 02:51 AM
well, I already use Wireless Sync for email- this is just another email account.

The problem with Wireless Sync is that even though I can recieve multiple email accounts, I cant send under mutiple accounts (ie change the 'from address'). Does that service have the same problem?

Anyone else experiencing the problem I am with auto send/recieve?

Imageman
02-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Ok, so I have figured out that Pocket Outlook has to have the specific account selected open to perform an auto send/recieve. So, for example, if I have SMS selected as my account it will not check my POP mail automatically.

Is there a way around this?

Menneisyys
02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Ok, so I have figured out that Pocket Outlook has to have the specific account selected open to perform an auto send/recieve. So, for example, if I have SMS selected as my account it will not check my POP mail automatically.

Is there a way around this?

What exactly do you mean by 'automatic sync'?

1. A simple ActiveSync-based connection? Then, only the last-chosen account will be synched.

2. otherwise, you can force all your accounts to be synchronized periodically, totally independent of ActiveSync. Then, you'll be able to send/receive anything.

Also see the roundup of mailer clients for the Pocket PC (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,46750) on both of these questions.

Imageman
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
what I mean by automatic sync is specific to pocket outlook.

It appears as though you have to have the specific pop account you want to use as the 'active' or 'selected' account for it to auto send/recieve. For example, if I send a text message and leave 'text messaging' as the active account the auto send/recieve isnt performed on the POP account.

TJ

Menneisyys
02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
what I mean by automatic sync is specific to pocket outlook.

It appears as though you have to have the specific pop account you want to use as the 'active' or 'selected' account for it to auto send/recieve. For example, if I send a text message and leave 'text messaging' as the active account the auto send/recieve isnt performed on the POP account.

TJ

Yes, continuous syhcronization only takes place with the Outlook account, not with anything else.

However, as I've emphasized in my mailer client article too, you can define a periodical recheck for each of your POP3 accounts too. If you use a, say, 1-minute recheck rate, then, they will be almost as up-to-date that the AS-synched Outlook mail.

Imageman
02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
ok....

maybe I am not being clear.

I understand that I can set my pop accounts to auto send/recieve at any interval I like. What I am saying is that when you set it to auto send/recieve you have to keep that POP account you want to auto send recieve as the 'active' or 'selected' account in order for it to perform the auto send/recieve at whatever interval I have selected.

ZiL
03-21-2006, 06:05 AM
^^^ That's so true "Imageman", I know what you mean. I expirienced my self. If you dont let it active it wont download emails at programed intervals.

TJTrolinger
04-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I also have the same problem. Pocket Outlook will not auto recieve email unless Outlook (on the phone) is running and the desired account is selected. If for example if you are viewing your text messages auto recieve will not run on your other accounts.
This is just one of the MANY things I find about the Pocket PC operating system that are just plain stupid. Its almost like Microsoft does not "Real World" test this product.
I previously owned the Treo 600 and although it did not near as many features as Pocket PC it was a much better thought out operating system desinged for a phone.
Im sorry this post is not a solution but I thought it nessecary to validate "Imageman"'s post.
TJ