View Full Version : Messaging IMAP

jeremyjoslin
02-27-2006, 01:26 AM
I am just settling into my 8125, my first native WM5 device. Under WM2003SE I had to live with Messaging not being a true IMAP client: that is, when I deleted messages on the PPC they didn't delete on the server side as well. I thought this was just WM2003 and that it would be fixed in WM5. Am I mistaken? I seem to be having the same problem now with my 8125. My server is full IMAP, but the delete changes don't propogate to the server. Is there a special setting I need to change? Or is this just not working.

A review of Google demonstrates some people say it works, others say it doesn't but I can't find any 'real' solution or anwer to if it's supposed to work.

Janak Parekh
02-27-2006, 05:51 AM
WM5 has a "full" IMAP client, but it is quirky in the way it handles deletion. It does so by moving messages to a "Deleted Items" folder, and then purging. If that folder does not exist or cannot be created, the delete won't work.

(This problem is common with certain IMAP servers that require a "folder prefix" -- the Messaging applet can't handle that -- and the only "real" solution is to use an IMAP server without a folder prefix, to move messages manually, or to use another IMAP client. Basically, the Messaging applet has been tested with Exchange IMAP, but few others. :|)

--janak

jeremyjoslin
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Finally an answer that makes sense. Thanks.

You're right, I use Fusemail and they use 'Inbox' as a folder prefix. I found that if I 'move' items to the prefixed deleted folder, it works. Just a hassle.

Janak Parekh
03-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Finally an answer that makes sense. Thanks.
You're welcome. I know this because I deployed such a server, and I can't tell you how frustrated I was about it.

--janak