View Full Version : Need buying advice! Which is a better all-around device - HP6515 or Cingular 8125?

boomer_sooner
02-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm in the market for one of these phones, just not sure which one. I had my mind all made up to get the HP6515, then I saw the 8125 the other day. WoW! I've read nothing but rave reviews on it, but it is still fairly new. I've also read great things about the 6515. One review I read stated the 8125 would be chosen over the 6515 with the deciding factor being battery life. I would mainly use the device for e-mail, but I like to explore everything else there is to offer, as well.

I'm a gadget guy and have exhausted all of my $10/month add a lines with Cingular with other smartphones, so whichever of these 2 I get, I'll be paying full price. Any advice from owners of either device would be greatly helpful.

SteveHoward999
02-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Did you read today's front-page review of the 8215?

Ive seen both devices (but not used them). I'd take the 8215 for a couple of reasons ...

It looks cooler
Better battery life
Bigger screen - I don't go for that 240x240 screen at all.
It's HTC - they are flying high on some woderful deviced. HP has done nothing to earn my support for anything but their printers (that's brand disloyalty for ya!)

The 8215 does not have as powerful a processor as many, so you might run into the occasional issue, but if you are not a heavy or power user you are likley going to be very pleased if you select it.

boomer_sooner
02-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info on the review. I didn't even see that earlier.

After reading that and another in-depth review on another site that made a direct one-or-the-other comparison to the 6515, I think I'm going with the 8125. Once I get it and have some time to play around, I'll post back with my thoughts.

bspeed
02-27-2006, 12:33 AM
I have had plenty of PPC's but about 3 months ago switched to the 2215 smartphone. I love the phone but need full copies of Word, Excel, etc, so I purchased the 8125. In my opinion it is agreat device. The phone is good, bluetooth is working well, camera decent, over all I am enjoying it. I will like it much better when the push talk software is available in a few months.
Only negative, is that there is a conflict between WiFi and GPRS\MediaNet when you want to go on the internet. It seems mediaNet is the default and to switch to WiFi is a pain in the a... There are work arounds which are listed on the Cingular forums.
Overall for me it is the best portable device I have owned!

Bob

boomer_sooner
02-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info, bspeed. I took the plunge and ordered my 8125 yesterday. Should be here Mon. or Tues. morning. I'm already scoping out BT headsets, cases, and screen protectors. :D Can't wait to get this one.

bspeed
02-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Boomer,
great! I know you will like it!
BTW, let me know if you find a good case for yours. The one that comes with PPC is fair at best.

Bob

Menneisyys
02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Did you read today's front-page review of the 8215?

Ive seen both devices (but not used them). I'd take the 8215 for a couple of reasons ...

It looks cooler
Better battery life
Bigger screen - I don't go for that 240x240 screen at all.
It's HTC - they are flying high on some woderful deviced. HP has done nothing to earn my support for anything but their printers (that's brand disloyalty for ya!)

Agreed. I'd go for the 8215 too.

The 8215 does not have as powerful a processor as many, so you might run into the occasional issue, but if you are not a heavy or power user you are likley going to be very pleased if you select it.

You can safely overclock it (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=518&more=1); then, running at 240 MHz, it becomes really quick. You won't even have problems with Skype at 240 MHz.

rzanology
02-27-2006, 07:57 PM
I've used both. And im leaning more toward the 8125 now. I love my 6515, but the 8125 is just a better device. I think the thing that did it for me was the keyboard. It took a while for me to get use to the 6515 keyboard, but the first time I held and typed with the 8125 I feel in love. The device is held much more naturally, and the keys are much more spaced and have a better feel to them. Next is the new os...although this wasn't a major factor is does feel nice. Then the phone quality....aaaawe man this thing is crystal clear. The speaker phone is unlike anything I've ever heard before on a cell phone, and this is coming from someone who also has a nextel. Its just as loud as the nextel but waaaaay more clear...i was surprised to see no one mentioned this in any of their reviews. I was thinking about the gps thing, but I have a x50v which I always have with me....as well as a gps receiver in the car, so that took care of the gps. All in all I don’t see any reason not to upgrade from the 6515 to this device. At its price point it also makes for a better buy than the 6515. I loooove ipaqs...but you lost it this time hp.

im on the phone with cingular right now placing the order for mine. They're on back order :(

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Zidane
02-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Have you given the eTen m600 any thought? I'm placing my order for one this week as it has the small size, better processor and uses the regular SD cards (as opposed to the MiniSD).

Jerry Raia
03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
I just got rid of my 6515 and now have the 8125. The 6515 was a bit of a disappointment quality wise for one. The 8125 is superior. The WiFi/MediaNet problem is pretty annoying though. It's always something!