View Full Version : 4smartphone.net

iPAQFanatic
02-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I was posting in the mail2web thread, but since it's primary purpose was for mail2web, I thought I would post a new thread here about 4smartphone.net.

I'm trying out 4smartphone right now. It seems to be working perfectly on my Treo and on my home computer.

However when I'm at work, I get the error message "Microsoft Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange server snshbea105.4smartphone.snx" every 5 seconds. And I've had Outlook open all day and it's never finished syncing. It took 3 hours to do one mail folder that was only 35mb. I'm one a high speed satelite connection shared by several computers. 4smartphone support said it might be long latency on your office network. What is that? How do I test and fix it? They haven't got back to me yet. :(

It's annoying and it seems to momentarily lock up Outlook. I've disabled my Firewall, my antivirus and Microsoft Antispyware with no improvements. Can you help me? I really like this service so far, and I'd like to buy, but if this is how it is going to be at work, I just can't.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Jason Dunn
02-25-2006, 01:09 AM
I've seen the occasional sluggish performance from 4smartphone, but never anything even close to what you're describing. A shared satellite connection sounds like a recipe for trouble to me, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it - it might just not be a good match for hosted Exchange. I'd try again tomorrow though if I were you.

iPAQFanatic
02-25-2006, 04:13 AM
Man. I really like the hosted exchange. It works fine at home and on my ppc. I think on Monday I might try to call Starband and maybe the company that did our phones and network.

If all else fails I could use the standard Outlook at work, use active sync to sync calendar, contacts, and tasks to my PPC and use the exchange network to sync my PPC up to the server and to my home PC. It's not ideal, but it's an option. I've found that using my PPC between two computers is fairly problematic.

jeremyjoslin
02-26-2006, 02:28 AM
I've always ignored reading about exchange since I have no contact with it. My wife and I are both professionals, and I feel like I run my life like a business sometimes. After reading about 4smartphones.net and mail2web I have a new interest in MS Exchange. I'm wondering though about a few capabilitis:

1.) let's say I sign up for an account and merge all my email and sync the usual outlook 4 things... what's the best way to include my wife and her schedule into all this so I can keep track of her calendar? I.E. someone asks me if we can make it to x event, and I want to check her schedule in real-time to see if she's free. (she also uses Outlook at home on her own PST but not on PPC/smartphone- yet).

2.) Do Notes sync?

3.) Did I read somewhere of file sync as well? I also use foldershare for access to my reference files, but having them on PPC would be a nice bonus (since we still don't have a way to choose which folder on desktop syncs to PPC).

4.) How fast is OWA? I think I might have become spoiled with Gmail and have really taken a liking to the interface. Wish there was a way to have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for any answers you all can help me with.

jeremyjoslin
02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
In my own repsonse to above questions:

1.) Looks like my wife and I would both need separate accounts. Since sharing is not enabled until the Pro level, we'd need that.

Still not sure of how sharing works on a conceptual level (never used Exchange). Is it like having access to her PST wherever I am, or do her 'shared' events show up in my PST? Would I have access to shared events on my PDA?

2.) Everything I see says Notes don't sync. Kinda odd to me.

3.) File sync looks to be included in Enterprise level packages.

4.) Still no idea of OWA speed. Will have to try a Trial when I get a chance. But I would like some opinions from more than just myself ;)

iPAQFanatic
02-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Nope no notes.

I have no experience with sharing calendars. It's just me. So I can't comment. Sorry.

Make sure you back up your pst's before you do anything. The processes, involves deleting it then re-importing it. Could cause problems.

The OWA is OK. It's not overly fast. It seems to work better on IE than through Firefox.

Jason Dunn
02-27-2006, 11:24 PM
1.) let's say I sign up for an account and merge all my email and sync the usual outlook 4 things... what's the best way to include my wife and her schedule into all this so I can keep track of her calendar?
2.) Do Notes sync?
3.) Did I read somewhere of file sync as well?
4.) How fast is OWA?

1) You'd both need your own accounts. 4smartphone can link your calendars together so that inside Outlook 2003 on the desktop you could have the ability to see each other's calendars, and optionally even enter data directly into each one (this depends on permissions). Note that you can't see or do anything with your wife's calendar on the Pocket PC - there's no on-device support for multiple data stores (I've been asking for six years).

2) No, you need to sync your device to your PC to get notes. It's mind-numbingly ridiculous that this isn't supported yet.

3) None to speak of. I've heard there are some esoteric ways to get files into an Exchange profile, but there's definitely no way to get a Pocket PC into that mix.

4) I've found it quite fast and responsive, but obviously not as light-weight as Gmail so don't expect miracles.

ricoks
03-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey jason, I have a question re: your experience with 4smartphone and multiple emails. I know you said that you are running multiple IMAP accounts within your exchange (kinda like aggregating all your emails, right), and I want to compare your experience to mine.
I am not using 4smartphone yet (wanted year in advance). I went with 1and1 to try out, since it was only $7 for 1gb space PLUS domain hosting. However, they only allow for rules to be implimented via outlook on the desktop, which means that while outlook at home is open, it's fine; but not if it's closed. :cry:
I'm aggregating 3 emails together, and filtering them into different folders. when outlook and exchage sync, they are all done right, and I can access them via OWA fine. BUT, this means i have to leave outlook at home open and running. If i close it, i only get the mail address into exchange that 1and1 gave me. I am looking for this to be implimented on the server side, not client only side. :evil:
I email'd 4smartphone, on Tuesday, but they haven't responded yet.
what have you seen????

Jason Dunn
03-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey jason, I have a question re: your experience with 4smartphone and multiple emails. I know you said that you are running multiple IMAP accounts within your exchange (kinda like aggregating all your emails, right), and I want to compare your experience to mine.

Well, no, I'm not doing the same thing as you (I don't think so at least). I have thoughtsmedia.com as my Exchange account, and in Outlook 2003 I have four IMAP accounts configured - but they're separate accounts, not linked to my Exchange account. On my Pocket PC I have them set up as individual accounts as well.

I can't really figure out what you're trying to do...if you're trying to have multiple email accounts flow into Exchange, you'd set up forwarding and sort the incoming email into folders at the server level. If you want to have separate accounts, you do what I do.

ricoks
03-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I think you are trying to accomplish the same thing i am. I use Outlook at home (always have) and have multiple accounts 'pulled' into the same .pst file/mailbox through the "Accounts" setting on Outlook. Works great. When i do a 'send/receive' it pulls ALL my accounts, and then based on 'Rules' i have set, it filters them into different folders.
If I want to send a new email, i can choose which account it will be sent from by the little down arrow on the send button.
If I reply to an email, it automatically replies with the account it was was originally sent to. If I 'forward' my other emails, it will just reply from that ONE account, everytime, regardless where it came from (because all it knows is that it DID get sent to that account, it was FWD'd)
This CAN be done on the server side (right now, because it's done in Outlook, and Outlook at home NEEDS to be open for the rules to work, it is actually on the Client side) but i'm thinking that the provider needs to allow it.
If it were on the Server side, then it would behave the same was as Outlook does when I access it via OWA, or otherwise, because the SERVER actually does the 'Send/Receive' not the client (man, i hope that made sense)!!
mail2web does something 'like' this (aggregates all your acounts into one exchange account, but doesn't allow for the individual accounts that it pulled it from to be the sender (only your mail2web account will be the sender, regardess which account it came from)

I'm looking for Outlook Rules on my Exchange account (server side)

Anyone have any ideas????

ricoks
03-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, I got an email back from 4smartphone and this is what they said:

"
Dear Ryan,

It will use the "from" address of your Exchange account.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again if necessary.

Best regards,

The 4SmartPhone Team
mailto:[email protected]
"

unfortunate. Why can't i have access to ALL my email accts regardless where i'm at without having to log into 5 different emails??!!!! :evil:

Jason Dunn
03-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Why can't i have access to ALL my email accts regardless where i'm at without having to log into 5 different emails?

What exactly are you asking for? POP/IMAP access integrated into Outlook Web Access?

ctmagnus
03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm thinking he's asking for the ability to specify a from: address when sending email. Kinda like what can be done in Outlook (at least in POP mode) where you can set up a bunch of accounts and reply to a message received on one account, from any of the others you've set up. Or like with gmail now, if you add additional email addresses to the account.

ricoks
03-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Picture my email situation:

BEFORE exchange w/Outlook '03
Had 4 email accounts all 'pulled' in via pop3 to my Outlook .pst and via Rules, filtered them into corresponding folders under 'Mailbox'.
Worked great, as I got ALL my email when i was home, and when i replied to an email, it was sent through that email's server and all was good! If I composed an email, it would assume the 'default' account to send from, but i could specify which account, if I needed to change it.

Now, with a hosted exchange:
I would like to have the same thing, but have the server do the 'pulling' of the pop3 accounts into my 'Mailbox' and filter them into the corresponding folders. What i'm finding out from both my current host (1and1.com) and 4 smartphone both, is that they don't allow the server to 'pull' pop3 accounts into it. they all suggest either Forwarding the pop3 accounts to my Exchange address (loose the ability to 'send' from those addresses then) or just have my Outlook '03 at home stay open to do the repeated "send/receive" actions to 'pull' the pop3 accoutns into it, and have it then sync with the exchange server.

The problem with this is that it isn't reliable. outlook freezes too often for me (not sure why) so it stops the folder sync process with the server, and it requires my Outlook to stay open 24/7. If i want access to these emails via my Exchange acount, like logging in via OWA, or syc'ing via WIFI with my HX4700, i want it to be just like I were at home - with ALL my email's in their respective folders - regardless if my Outlook at home is open or not!!!!

Now, if I had the Exchnage server running at my home, i could do it, no problem. It would just have to have the Server set up to 'pull' from these pop3 accts just as Outlook does. as it sits now, I can only set it up via the client side.

I hope this all makes sense - I'm just looking for a complete email solution, and I figure if I'm paying for a service, there has to be one out there that will do what I'm looking to do. (I HOPE)

Ricoks

Jason Dunn
03-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Ryan - you're trying to cook a burrito using a hammer. It's just not the right tool, and it doesn't matter how many times you bang it, it won't cook. ;-) What you want isn't possible with Exchange 2003.

You have two choices:

1) Switch your email accounts to IMAP and set them up your device. Activesync is for your Exchange account, your IMAP accounts are for your other email address.

2) Do the email forwarding thing they suggest. When you're using OWA, you'll only have the one email address to respond from. When you're at home, however, you can set up "fake" POP3 email accounts to use JUST for sending. Configure bogus POP3 settings, but put in your ISP's SMTP server, and put the reply-to address whatever you want it to be. Then when you respond to an email, you select the appropriate account from the drop-down menu.

cdavis
03-24-2006, 08:13 AM
I had this same problem trying to find a way to pull all my emails through 4smartphone but then reply with the write email. It simply can't be done. As stated above you can only reply with the one email. Only way around it would be to reply outside of the exchange account.

beq
03-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I agree, hosted Exchange isn't always suited for the web-centric consumer in several ways, especially in regards to OWA limitations and the Outlook-centric handling of external accounts.

OWA is relatively underdeveloped so that users must rely on Outlook to set up various server-side options. Even when dealing only with server-side Rules, OWA won't usually let you edit anything. Furthermore, I still see conditions that requires Outlook Rules to be performed client-side when it might not seem necessary. Of course, other rule conditions such as "through the specified account" must inherently execute client-side.

As a side note, plugins can make Outlook a lot more convenient to use though. I've been using various ones from MAPILab, SperrySoftware, etc.

Anyways, I've ended up only using my hosted Exchange account for all the PIM/sync functions except email. For email I used to subscribe to quite a few paid IMAP mail providers, but these days I stick mostly with FastMail.fm and Tuffmail.com.

My family members though still use hosted Exchange for their primary mailboxes, in addition to the backup IMAP accounts. For webmail on other computers, they also like the new Yahoo Mail beta interface (Oddpost derived) in addition to OWA.

P.S. Another pet peeve with 1and1 and 4smartphone hosted Exchange is the non-upgradeable storage quota and no aggregation/pooling of storage in group accounts (except for 4smartphone's most expensive Enterprise plan). One family member can only keep the last month of emails in his Exchange account due to the 1GB limitation. I had to pay FastMail over $600 to upgrade his backup account there to 7GB (and counting) in order to store older emails on the server.

Tony Rylow
03-24-2006, 12:57 PM
How old of emails is he keeping? 1GB of email is quite a bit of email...

ricoks
03-24-2006, 08:07 PM
I was afraid that might be the case. I REALLY like Outlook, and what Exchange does for the mobile individual. To be updated in some way, especially the way Bill gates wants everyone to use their 'services' instead of their 'software' will mean this needs to be reconciled in some way in the near future. We'll see.

My only other option is to actually run an instance of Outlook on my file server and leave that running in the background. kinda not the best way, but the only work-around I can think of!!!

any other ideas

Jason Dunn
03-24-2006, 08:10 PM
I had this same problem trying to find a way to pull all my emails through 4smartphone but then reply with the write email. It simply can't be done. As stated above you can only reply with the one email. Only way around it would be to reply outside of the exchange account.

This is a more complete explantion of what I've already suggested as a solution, maybe it will help:

http://www.4smartphone.com/view.aspx?KB=KB-000026

Jason Dunn
03-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I was afraid that might be the case. I REALLY like Outlook, and what Exchange does for the mobile individual...

Ok, I'm a bit confused here - don't either of my suggestions solve your problem? If not, why not? I'm trying to help but you don't seem interested in changing the way you do things in order to find a solution... :? Or am I misunderstanding your problem?

beq
03-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Only the last month or so. He gets a lot of business mail from suppliers and other correspondents (Office/PDF files, product sample images, etc):

http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=356767#post356767

ricoks
03-28-2006, 09:10 PM
This is a more complete explantion of what I've already suggested as a solution, maybe it will help:

http://www.4smartphone.com/view.aspx?KB=KB-000026

Jason - I really appreciate the help. It's awesome to have you so active on your forums.

1 question tho - How is this different than setting up the accounts so that they "pull" the emails into the mailbox thru pop3??

Does this allow you to do this within OWA as well????
because if I am at home, I can already do what I 'think' this is suggesting while at home, but ONLY at home. is this the case?? I am not as concerned about while using my PPC, but more so OWA!!

So, will this solution allow for me to choose what server to use while using OWA???

Jason Dunn
03-28-2006, 11:46 PM
So, will this solution allow for me to choose what server to use while using OWA???

No. With OWA you're 100% stuck with responding with the 4smartphone account. You can get them to change your reply-to address to be whatever you want, but you can't change it on the fly. There's no solution for what you're looking for.

ricoks
03-29-2006, 05:20 AM
thanks Jason, I really appreciate the patience I know noobs can sometimes be annoying! you Rock!

Tony Rylow
03-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Only the last month or so. He gets a lot of business mail from suppliers and other correspondents (Office/PDF files, product sample images, etc):

http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=356767#post356767

Well, if it is all business related, and he needs to store that much, he needs to look into getting his own server. He can keep all the mail that he wants, and probably would be able to write it off on his taxes.

beq
03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately, he's working at a remote international office that's still low tech. There's no sufficient IT yet to implement in-house servers, much less NT domain networking. And I'm not comfortable running servers for them out of my own house here in the US (via my residential connection).

I've already tried to get him and his staff to use alternative means of file transfers (FTP, online storage, web file sharing, etc), but they're only comfortable with email for now. More to the point, most of their international business contacts still use email as well.

I just wonder why hosted Exchange still seems limited in storage quota, as I imagine the storage cost is rather cheap these days? Or is it a technical issue regarding how Exchange scales to large mailstores?

Jason Dunn
03-29-2006, 05:53 PM
I just wonder why hosted Exchange still seems limited in storage quota, as I imagine the storage cost is rather cheap these days? Or is it a technical issue regarding how Exchange scales to large mailstores?

That's a good question - I know that in every Exchange implementation I've seen, there are always mailbox size limits, usually around 1GB or less. Perhaps Exchange performance degrades when you go over 1GB?

Have you considered having him archive items to a local PST?

beq
03-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks Jason.

Yeah, he does rely on Outlook AutoArchive to move items older than a month (in most of the Exchange mail folders) to a local PST. He stores every 3-4 months in a new PST archive (he's using the 2003 PST format so each file can be several GB's).

Fortunately Outlook on his ThinkPad T43 laptop seems to be running somewhat OK even with some archive PSTs opened (though I had to disable most of his MAPILab/Sperry Outlook plugins due to chronic problems).

Anyways, the other worry is (automatically) backing up those locally stored archive PSTs. Online backup might not be very practical given his double-ISDN connection speed (the same connection that costs them something like US$600/month BTW).

P.S. His incoming mail is pre-filtered at Tuffmail and FastMail.fm, and for additional backup he currently has a copy of the mail archived there. Just in case we need quick web-based (or IMAP) access to the archive without his laptop. But we've had to keep buying extra mail storage there to be able to archive at least a few months...

rlobrecht
04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know which plan is required to have 4smartphone host my domain's email for me? Professional or Enterprise? I tried to ask via their support desk, and got some really bizarre answer back. All of the words were English, but they barely had any relation to the question I asked.

Jason Dunn
04-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Does anyone know which plan is required to have 4smartphone host my domain's email for me? Professional or Enterprise?

Professional. You change your DNS MX record, point it at 4smartphone, and then all email flows into your 4smartphone account. Keep in mind though that while you can create aliases for free, each email account requires a different 4smartphone account.

rlobrecht
04-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks, Jason. This makes it significantly more affordable.

Rick

Sgt_Strider
04-25-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm just wondering, will 4smartphone allow you to sync notes now that SP2 for Exchange 2003 is out? Will 1and1 allow me to sync note? This isn't a 4smartphone thing, but applies to 1and1 as well?

Jason Dunn
04-25-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm just wondering, will 4smartphone allow you to sync notes now that SP2 for Exchange 2003 is out? Will 1and1 allow me to sync note? This isn't a 4smartphone thing, but applies to 1and1 as well?

Exchange 2003 SP2 allows for the sync of tasks not notes, so the answer is no. :?

ctmagnus
04-26-2006, 06:11 AM
I've been using 4Smartphone for a while and have grown to love it, however, I just hit something puzzling.

I have the Exchange account email, which I've had no problems with, and I have a Gmail account setup in Outlook. I can pull email from either account just fine, but I have a few emails from the Gmail account sitting in the Outlook Inbox on the desktop. Those emails aren't syncing up to the server. Email from the Gmail account that was in the inbox before I signed up for 4Smartphone synced up fine. :confused totally:

Underwater Mike
05-03-2006, 03:04 AM
I am thinking about getting a pro-level account at 4smartphone and have a question about spam filtering: I currently use an excellent PC-based permission filter called ChoiceMail One with Outlook 2003. It's the best and most flexible spam filter I've ever seen, and basically functions as an email proxy. But, it works only with POP and IMAP accounts.

If I went to a hosted Exchange solution like 4smartphone, what do I do for spam management? I get bajillions of spam messages a day (all my email addresses are pretty old and therefore totally spam-riddled), and am not sure how I would manage without ChoiceMail.

Any tips from 4smartphone users?

Another question: I have email accounts at 6 domains hosted by 1and1. If I modify the MXs to point to 4smartphone, can I have all 6 accounts point to the same 4smartphone account (as aliases, I guess)? Or do I need 6 accounts with 4smartphone?

Jason Dunn
05-03-2006, 05:32 AM
If I went to a hosted Exchange solution like 4smartphone, what do I do for spam management? I get bajillions of spam messages a day (all my email addresses are pretty old and therefore totally spam-riddled), and am not sure how I would manage without ChoiceMail.

Well, I'm not exactly sure how ChoiceMail works - their Web site says they're permissions based (so I assume challenge/response?) but you said they're proxy based...do you have a ChoiceMail email address that you use instead of your main one? I'm wondering if there's a way to forward the "clean" email to your Exchange account. 4smartphone does have spam protection, though it's honestly not all that good - I can't see how much spam it's blocking, but the spam that does get through is pretty obvious and lame. They were supposed to be working on a newer spam blocking system, but I haven't heard anything about that.

Another question: I have email accounts at 6 domains hosted by 1and1. If I modify the MXs to point to 4smartphone, can I have all 6 accounts point to the same 4smartphone account (as aliases, I guess)? Or do I need 6 accounts with 4smartphone?

In this case you'd probably just want to leave the MX records along and do forwarding of the email from [email protected] to your [email protected] email address. It's a good question to ask 4smartphone tech support though - if one email account can support multiple MX records. Ask them and let me know. :-)

Underwater Mike
05-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Here's the reply:

"Thank you for considering 4Smartphone.

We could arrange the recipient policy to accommodate more than 1 domain but only under an enterprise account."

So, I guess I'd have to just forward them all.

WRT the spam filtering with ChoiceMail, I guess I could leave all but one account as POP, pull with CM as now, then automatically forward the filtered mail to my Exchange account. But that would require having my machine running all the time, which is what I am trying to avoid.

One more stupid question: Can I sync with 2 Exchange servers? My recollection is that it's one only...

Jason Dunn
05-04-2006, 03:46 AM
WRT the spam filtering with ChoiceMail, I guess I could leave all but one account as POP...

Or just ditch your old spammy email addresses. ;-) I had an email address for...nine years? It was almost pure spam, and in the end it was much easier than I thought to switch over to a new one. Starting fresh was great for me.

One more stupid question: Can I sync with 2 Exchange servers? My recollection is that it's one only...

On your Pocket PC? One only. I've reported the desire to sync more than one to the powers that be at Microsoft, but they don't view it as being a common enough scenario to support. <sigh> :-(

Underwater Mike
05-04-2006, 03:55 AM

On your Pocket PC? One only. I've reported the desire to sync more than one to the powers that be at Microsoft, but they don't view it as being a common enough scenario to support. <sigh> :-(

LOL, kind of like notes, eh? :wink:

ricoks
05-10-2006, 10:39 PM
nothing fits the bill perfectly. I LOVE remote sync'ing to my Exchange acct (not with 4smartphone, btw - actually w/ 1and1) except that in order for me to get all my accts to go in the folder they're suposed to, i have to keep outlook open at home. it's almost like i'm using it as a collector, feeding that into my exchange, and then sync'ing THAT to my PPC
not ideal, but right now, my only option.

Underwater Mike
05-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Just curious: Any particular reason you chose 1and1? I just started my 4smartphone trial and am still on the fence about which company to use, and whether to use Exchange hosting at all.

EDIT: I actually got everything set up, and the sync with the server is fine. But now I can't sync with the local data (not server) on my work PC, so I have no way to get my work information onto the device. When I just went with home and work computers as stand-alones, it allowed me to shuttle contacts and stuff between the two.

I always thought that you could sync the whole business with an Exchange server, and then just the calendar, contacts and tasks with another, stand-alone PC? If so, I can't figure out why mine won't do it.

Any ideas, or do I need to ditch the hosted Exchange and go back to what I had?

Underwater Mike
05-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Anybody? :cry:

ricoks
05-17-2006, 10:08 PM
that i dont know - I DO know that you can only sync with ONE Exchnage acct, but my home pc uses exchange as well as pop3 in outlook. My PPC only syncs with the Exchange for that info. it may lock it out for that reason, dunno??

I chose 1and1 for their larger storeage (my .pst file is about 1.6gb right now) and it was the same price, but allowed quartly payments, vs yearly only!! I looked long and hard at MOST of the exchange pckgs, and in order to get this price, i had to pay a full year in advance. NOT what I was looking to do. Plus, for flexibility reasons, i liked the idea of having a HUGE hosting plan (storage) w/o paying an arm and a lef for it, and still use the same company. Not necessarly the easiest to deal with cust svc, but for exchange, i haven't had to yet. i don't know yet tho, whether they've upgraded to SP2 and allowed push. since i dont need it yet, it's not as big a deal for me, yet!!!!!!
hope that helps!

Underwater Mike
05-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Well, I really wanted to centralize with one company, but they don't know which end is up! They told me by phone that they DO NOT support push, and told me by email that they do. :roll: What a mess...

When you send mail from that account, what does the "from" addy look like? I want "[email protected]" rather than 1and1's usual junk.

(edited for a bunch of typos after a long, long day)

that i dont know - I DO know that you can only sync with ONE Exchnage acct, but my home pc uses exchange as well as pop3 in outlook. My PPC only syncs with the Exchange for that info. it may lock it out for that reason, dunno??

I chose 1and1 for their larger storeage (my .pst file is about 1.6gb right now) and it was the same price, but allowed quartly payments, vs yearly only!! I looked long and hard at MOST of the exchange pckgs, and in order to get this price, i had to pay a full year in advance. NOT what I was looking to do. Plus, for flexibility reasons, i liked the idea of having a HUGE hosting plan (storage) w/o paying an arm and a lef for it, and still use the same company. Not necessarly the easiest to deal with cust svc, but for exchange, i haven't had to yet. i don't know yet tho, whether they've upgraded to SP2 and allowed push. since i dont need it yet, it's not as big a deal for me, yet!!!!!!
hope that helps!

ctmagnus
05-18-2006, 04:20 AM
When you send mail frmo that accound, what does the "from" addy look like? I want "[email protected]" rather than 1and1's usual junk.

I read somewhere on this site that 4Smartphone can do it (I believe a phone call was required - it isn't user configurable), so 1and1 should be able to as well.

Underwater Mike
05-18-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm sure that they can -- the question is, will they? Their CS seems to be outsourced/off-shored, and every time I call it's an exercise in frustration trying to talk to someone who can understand what I'm trying to accomplish. The only reason I stay with them is that my experience with other Web hosts is no better.

As much as I'd like to have everything consolidated, I'm thinking that I should probably go with 4smartphone. Their service replies are always prompt and thorough, and they seem like a top-notch outfit.

When you send mail frmo that accound, what does the "from" addy look like? I want "[email protected]" rather than 1and1's usual junk.

I read somewhere on this site that 4Smartphone can do it (I believe a phone call was required - it isn't user configurable), so 1and1 should be able to as well.

ricoks
05-19-2006, 10:10 PM
My email comes up as [email protected]
infact, it actually comes up as Last, First name in outlook when i send.
It works great. NOW, if I could just get it to auto pull POP3 without FWDing. that completely undoes the whole, 'choose which acct to send from' that i'm looking for. :?

Ricoks

Underwater Mike
05-19-2006, 11:19 PM
That's good to know, thanks. I think I'm going with 4smartphone because of the direct push -- that is just a great feature to have, without needing to go with a full sync. But if 1and1 ever adds the feature, I would probably switch just to consolidate all my accounts with one host.

Now, can anyone help me with syncing both my outlook account and a separate, stand-alone machine for tasks, calendar and contacts? :D

My email comes up as [email protected]
infact, it actually comes up as Last, First name in outlook when i send.
It works great. NOW, if I could just get it to auto pull POP3 without FWDing. that completely undoes the whole, 'choose which acct to send from' that i'm looking for. :?

Ricoks

ricoks
05-23-2006, 03:17 PM
well, if you were to do what i do, I just sync my desktop at home to the same exchange account at 1and1, except that i have outlook at home also pull in 3 pop3 accts as well. that way, when it syncs with the server, the pop3 accts email are available to read on my ppc as well. This requires my outlook stay open at home all the time, however!! :evil:
hope that helps!