View Full Version : Can it be WM 2005 or is it my 1 Gig. SD card?

scarletknight96
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
For whatever reason, I can't access any of my programs on my SD card, via windows mobile 2005. I have a one gigabyte sd card. I had it for almost two years and it never gave me problems. I am disappointed at $MS for not including a sensible backup utility for activesync via the desktop. I would have been safe. I purchased another SD card. This time a 2 Gig version. I did this to protect my data, since windows mobile's activesync does not have a backup. I don't know how to transfer data from one sd card to the other. Now I am stuck.

The erro message I am gettting during startup on my hx 2795 pocket pc is: activatedevice failed, code 2 hex. What does that mean?

Also, how do you hard reset on WM 2005?

Lastly, is there an update to WM 2005 which allows you to backup on your desktop?

Thank you very much, in advance for your help and support!

Janak Parekh
02-23-2006, 10:29 PM
For whatever reason, I can't access any of my programs on my SD card, via windows mobile 2005.
I'm really confused by this statement. Can you explain what the problem is more precisely? Do you get an error message? Can you access non-program files? Were these programs installed via the WM5 device, or did you transfer the card from an older device? Is this a backup, or "installed" programs?

I don't know how to transfer data from one sd card to the other. Now I am stuck.
The easiest way would be via a desktop. Copy all the files to a folder on your computer, and then transfer them to another SD card. That is, assuming you can read the data via the desktop.

The erro message I am gettting during startup on my hx 2795 pocket pc is: activatedevice failed, code 2 hex. What does that mean?
I have no clue. :( You can try searching the forums. Did this happen after installing some software?

Also, how do you hard reset on WM 2005?
Hard resetting is device-specific. Take a look at the user manual -- it should be in there.

Lastly, is there an update to WM 2005 which allows you to backup on your desktop?
No, WM5 does not have backup support. You can use a third-party backup program, like Spb (www.spbsoftwarehouse.com) Backup.

--janak

scarletknight96
02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Whenever I access my pocket pc (ipaq hx 2795), I get an error message stating that: activatedevice failed, code 2 hex. As a result, I can't access no data or programs from my pocket pc or the desktop, when its connected via activesycn. I have had this sd card for about two years. I transfered it from my now stolen, hx 4705.

Janak Parekh
02-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Whenever I access my pocket pc (ipaq hx 2795), I get an error message stating that: activatedevice failed, code 2 hex.
I'm still not clear. This error happens when you turn on the Pocket PC? Or when you access the content on the SD card? Or anytime the SD card is inserted?

In any case, the first thing I'd do is to try the SD card in a desktop and make sure it works properly there, and/or scan the card or format it in the desktop (e.g., back up the files, reformat it, copy the files back). If it's not readable on the desktop, that would imply trouble with the card.

(And does the 2GB SD card work?)

--janak

scarletknight96
02-24-2006, 12:19 AM
When the pocket pc first turns on, it displays the error message. From that point, I can no longer access the sd card, on both the desktop and the pocket pc. I am scared. I have alot of important data backup on that little thing.

Before windows mobile, I would just use activesyn back/restore feature. Now, I have no idea to how to retreive backup information, on both desktop and my pocket pc. Why did microsoft create WM 2005 w/o backup featurea.

Janak Parekh
02-24-2006, 01:26 AM
When the pocket pc first turns on, it displays the error message. From that point, I can no longer access the sd card, on both the desktop and the pocket pc. I am scared. I have alot of important data backup on that little thing.
Okay, now I understand. You need to try to scan that SD card on a desktop first and see what's going on. SD cards can fail over time... :(

Before windows mobile, I would just use activesyn back/restore feature. Now, I have no idea to how to retreive backup information, on both desktop and my pocket pc. Why did microsoft create WM 2005 w/o backup featurea.
Are you sure the ActiveSync backup backed up SD card content? I thought it only backed up device memory. That, and it was slow, and relatively unreliable compared to commercial solutions, so they just dropped it. You can always buy a commercial solution, and they're not too expensive. I'm not thrilled at the feature loss either, but it can be worked around.

--janak

joshbu [msft]
02-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Whenever I access my pocket pc (ipaq hx 2795), I get an error message stating that: activatedevice failed, code 2 hex.
I'm still not clear. This error happens when you turn on the Pocket PC? Or when you access the content on the SD card? Or anytime the SD card is inserted?

In any case, the first thing I'd do is to try the SD card in a desktop and make sure it works properly there, and/or scan the card or format it in the desktop (e.g., back up the files, reformat it, copy the files back). If it's not readable on the desktop, that would imply trouble with the card.

(And does the 2GB SD card work?)

--janak

<geek hat>
The ActivateDevice failure is the SD driver failing to load properly when the card is inserted. Many WM devices use a two piece SD driver, a loader that just sits around waiting for the card to be inserted, and then a real driver that only gets loaded once the card is in. ActivateDevice is the API that the loader would use to try to start the real driver. The most likely reason that the driver would fail would be a bad SD card.
</geek hat>

Otherwise, janak is right on. Try the SD card on your desktop, and a different SD on your PPC.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Why did microsoft create WM 2005 w/o backup featurea.

Two reasons I think:

1. Persistent storage - you won't lose critical files if you lose power, or hard reset.
2. They realised that AS backup was a terrible piece of software, and figured they'd better not continue developing it.

scarletknight96
02-24-2006, 05:03 AM
I went to compusa and used a computer that had an sd card reader. It produce the same content which was on my ipaq: pretty much little to no data at all.

One of the reps suggested that I try a software retrieval program.

In ways, I was nieve. I had alot of faith in my sd card.

I need some advice. If I reformat my sd card will that allow it to function, as normal again? Now that WM 2005 has that persistant memory backup feature, should I save all my important document on it? Is there a way to backup sd card data on the desktop, which will restore your information?

What's the difference between save files that are memory and save files that are program related? Janak Parekh made referrence to this.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Try this thread:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39583

It explains most of the issues you are having. In addition, for saving files from an SD card, the simplest way is to just periodically copy everything over to the desktop - a card reader is a good investment for this.[/u]

Janak Parekh
02-24-2006, 05:22 AM
]The ActivateDevice failure is the SD driver failing to load properly when the card is inserted. Many WM devices use a two piece SD driver, a loader that just sits around waiting for the card to be inserted, and then a real driver that only gets loaded once the card is in. ActivateDevice is the API that the loader would use to try to start the real driver. The most likely reason that the driver would fail would be a bad SD card.
Thanks for the tip, Josh. :)

In ways, I was nieve. I had alot of faith in my sd card.
No computer storage is perfectly reliable. :(

I need some advice. If I reformat my sd card will that allow it to function, as normal again?
Maybe. It depends if your problem stems from a corrupt SD card or an actual failure. The fact you're getting a bizarre error suggests the card itself may have gone bad, but you can give it a try.

Now that WM 2005 has that persistant memory backup feature, should I save all my important document on it? Is there a way to backup sd card data on the desktop, which will restore your information?
All a Persistent Store means is that if the battery drains, you will not lose information. It does not prevent corruption, theft of the device, etc. As for backing up the SD card, you can use any tool to copy the files when you insert it on the desktop. I usually zip up the files myself.

What's the difference between save files that are memory and save files that are program related? Janak Parekh made referrence to this.
I think you're referring to my initial reply. I was not sure what you meant by "accessing programs" -- that can either mean the program .EXE file itself was unreadable, or the entire card was unreadable, and I was looking for a clarification. Alas, it is the latter, so it's a moot point.

--janak

maikii
02-24-2006, 09:23 AM
2. They realised that AS backup was a terrible piece of software, and figured they'd better not continue developing it.

Why is it a "terrible piece of software"? It always worked for me. I found it unfortunate that it didn't work with smartphones, and now with WM2005 not with anything.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-24-2006, 10:02 AM
1. Can't do scheduled backups
2. All or nothing - no way to selectively restore or backup
3. Causes sync problems with restore to hard reset devices
4. Can't be used to backup or restore when you're on the road

scarletknight96
02-25-2006, 12:44 AM
The term .exe, does it mean the actual software that was installed into a specific directory? For instantance, if I intalled a software on my ppc via a sd card, and i have another sd card inserted, would that software work? Would that program be installed in the program directory of the actual ppc? In other words, would I have to do an add/remove program, even if its a different sd card?

scarletknight96
02-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Before the support of Janak Parekh and hishamh, I was up the river and stuck like chuck. However, I followed your suggestions and I came out ok. To be specific, i went to the website of PC Inspector File Recovery 4 and obtain a copy of it and the rest is history.

maikii
02-26-2006, 09:55 AM
1. Can't do scheduled backups
2. All or nothing - no way to selectively restore or backup
3. Causes sync problems with restore to hard reset devices
4. Can't be used to backup or restore when you're on the road

Well, I could see how the factors you mention above could cause one to say the following about ActiveSync Backup:

1. It's not perfect.

2. It has room for improvement

3. There are better backup programs available.

or even--

4.It's far from perfect, or has much room for improvement.

However, I don't see how the above points make it a:

"terrible piece of software".

Not at al. For one thing, it was free, came with ActiveSync.

Regarding your points:

1) I have never done a scheduled backup. Of course, you might want to do them. That doesn't make it indispensable/

2)For a small device like a Pocket PC, selective backup is not so necessary. It doesn't take long to do a full backup.

3) I never had a sync problem with it.

4) I think by that you are referring to the fact that it only backs up to the PC, not to the storage card. Yes, I think it's better to have both capabilities, and be able to backup to both places. But again, the program is free, why complain? I've found it useful, I'm sure many others have as well.

I suspect Microsoft has made deals with third party backup software vendors (Sprite, for instance) who would certainly prefer that Microsoft no include a backup solution with the OS, so that they can sell their backup software.

Janak Parekh
02-26-2006, 11:14 PM
3) I never had a sync problem with it.
It's worth noting, though, that AS4.1 significantly changed how syncing works, and it's entirely possible significant additional development effort would have been needed. So, rather than "dropping it" per se, they decided not to re-engineer it. It's lamentable, but considering the slow speed of the original software, I don't miss it.

I suspect Microsoft has made deals with third party backup software vendors (Sprite, for instance) who would certainly prefer that Microsoft no include a backup solution with the OS, so that they can sell their backup software.
I doubt this -- why'd it take the backup vendors so long to release WM5-compatible solutions, then? In any case, I've heard of no such deal between Microsoft and backup ISVs on the Pocket PC platform.

--janak

Menneisyys
02-27-2006, 05:38 PM

Well, I don't think AS backup was that bad - its incremental mode is/was pretty useful (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=442&more=1).

MS' decision not to keep enable it when a WM5 device is connected to ActiveSync is simple: according to MS, hard resets are far more rare than before because of empty batteries.

(Of course, this approach is highly debatable. I've only had a hard reset because of this twice in the last 9 years - that is, ever since I've been using WindowsCE devices. On the other hand, I hard reset (and sometimes restore) my PPC's on a daily basis just to get rid of the remnants of the tested apps I install on them.)

Menneisyys
02-27-2006, 05:41 PM

IMHO that's not the case. Microsoft has just done a bad? good? decision because they thought (righfully? Don't know) that for Average Joe, the protection agains hard resets caused by depleted batteries cause the most problems and they won't want to hard reset their Pocket PC's themselves.