View Full Version : Rec HP 2790 to user of HP 4150?

anatomyman
02-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey gang: It's time for me to buy a new pocket pc. Mind taking a minute to let me know what you think of my choice (HP 2790)? Is there anything I should know (i.e., some users reported problems syncing with that model, etc)?

My main consideration is memory, memory management, and installed programs. Any known issues with this handheld? Any other models you might recommend? the HP 2790 has 62 Mb RAM, and 192 Mb ROM; does that help much with running programs? Can they be run from the ROM?

Right now I am currently using a HP 4150 device with 64 Mb RAM and 32 Mb ROM. It's got a 512 Mb SD memory card. I don't have many real programs on it, but almost all of the RAM memory is gone, with only a small number of installed programs, like the keyboard driver and insertable HP camera SDIO driver. I try and keep as much of the data files on the My Documents folder in the memory card, but still no use. Heck, I don't even have any games on this puppy! :-( I'd really like to go back to using Pocket Informant and other great programs.

Design-wise, I kind of like the curvy thing of the iPaq 4150. I don't see any successor models at HP that have the same curvaceousnous as my 4150 but which have the increased RAM/ROM and increased processor speed of the 2790. Am I wrong on that one?

I started with a Casio Casiopeia; then used a Jornada. I also have experience with various Palms, and a Dell Axim. I use Dell for my computers at work and home, but after scanning the Axim forum, and looking at Dell's offerings, I still am going to stay with the iPaq line for now.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this; I know YOU understand what a crucial decision a new PocketPC is!!!! :?

Brad Adrian
02-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I've had both the 4100 and 27XX you mention and (although I like the size and shape of the 4100, too) have been very happy with my 27XX. Beside the points you mention, I also like these things about the 27XX:

--The built-in screen protector means I didn't have to buy another flip-up case.
--Despite not using a leather case, the body of the device has shown very little wear and tear after being carried around in my cargo pants pockets.
--There are some very useful accessories available. I got the extended battery, and although it does add a big lump to the back of the device, it lasts forever.
--The dual-card design makes it easy to load apps on one card and media files on another.
--I've never had any problems connecting very quickly using WiFi or Bluetooth.

I personally think you'd be very happy with the 27XX.