View Full Version : A Case of Strangelove: AKU2 Stops The Worries

Jon Westfall
02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=5915' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=5915</a><br /><br /></div><i>"ActiveSync is being licensed by Microsoft to every major device manufacturer, and Exchange Server is the most commonly used mail platform for most businesses and hosted e-mail providers. It may be more data-hungry, but ActiveSync will be everywhere and part of the standard install. RIM isn’t currently planned to be – history is replete with examples of where technological superiority has been beaten by greater availability. Overall, 7 out of 10. RIM still leads, but Redmond has caught up!"</i><br /><br />Geekzone has a nice write-up about AKU 2, Push Email, and why you should care (if you don't already). They detail all the new feature enhancements of AKU 2 (including BT Headphones) and have some nice stats on the data overhead and battery drain we can expect to see from push email. Now... about that AKU... who do I speak to forcefully to get it released yesterday?

Menneisyys
02-21-2006, 02:17 PM
The battery drain is very little - that's pretty cool :)

I'll also measure it on the HTC Wizard as soon as the final ROM is released.

The HTC Wizard is, BTW, really cool, as far as battery consumption is concerned. It not only has great availability, but also great operation time. For example, with the lowest backlight, a connected StowAway bluetooth keyboard and the EDGE modem working in MSN Messenger mode all the time I've measured 7%/hour battery consumption, which isn't at all bad if you take into account that my Pocket Loox 720 produced the same results, which, on the other hand, has no built-in phone and, therefore, requires a separate phone to connect to the Net. Pocket PC's with worse, more power hungry BT units consume much more power - for example, the Dell Axim x51v.

DaleReeck
02-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately, for getting AKU 2.0, we are at the mercy of the vendor or, in the case of PDA phones, cellular company.

alabij
02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Talking about cellular!! I thought the T-Mobile MDA was supposed to come out today?

DaleReeck
02-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately, "out today" is a flexible term with vendors :) We all know that there is a difference between "released" and actually available to buy. "Out" can fall into either one of those.

CitiWiFi
02-21-2006, 05:52 PM
I spoke with 2 stores here in the Tampa Bay area that have them instock. 15 units at each store.

They told me no discounts or upgrade deals yet. $399ea.

Anybody heard anything about an upgrade deal?