View Full Version : Where is the optimal hx4700 program location?

ezimmerman
02-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Where is the best place to install programs on the hx4700? iPaq File Store? Main Memory? SD/CF Card? I have found that some programs are temperamental and will not run or at least run correctly from the cards. I don't want to shell out the $169 for the memory upgrade (yet); so where do I put the programs in order to maximize space for them to run in? I am aware of the difference in Main mem/Ipaq FS if I lose power. I am looking to maximize the speed through program space.

I searched the forums and could not find a good answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darius Wey
02-20-2006, 02:55 AM
There isn't really an "optimal" program location as most of it depends on your usage patterns. If your applications are large and they support storage cards, then it might be best to load them on the SD/CF cards to save a bit of space on the device. For Today plug-ins and background services, it's best to have them in "Main Memory" (as most are not designed to run from storage cards due to the initialisation lag involved). Note that installing applications in your "iPAQ File Store", while permissible, will lengthen their operation time since the type of memory used for the "iPAQ File Store" is relatively slower than that used in "Main Memory". Then again, this wouldn't differ greatly from having them on your storage cards, since the speed of both types of flash memory is comparable.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Then again, this wouldn't differ greatly from having them on your storage cards, since the speed of both types of flash memory is comparable.

Not in my experience - most cards I've tried are way faster than onboard ROM memory.

Darius Wey
02-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Not in my experience - most cards I've tried are way faster than onboard ROM memory.

Well, that is the case sometimes, but not always. Ultimately, you'd need to meticulously compare multiple generations of NAND and NOR flash memory.