View Full Version : Need Help. Lost all data on my dell Axim.

pmr
02-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Help please.
temporatily lost axim for found again. The battery had completely discharged and I lost all data. When i turn it on it is just like when i bought it. Doesn't even have my personal information.

I did active sync it and still have it on my home computer. When i go to sync it, the active sync does not recognize it and wants to enter a new device or be a guest. WHAt does this mean.

How do i get all my information back and get the active sync to recognize it.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

Darius Wey
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Help please.
temporatily lost axim for found again. The battery had completely discharged and I lost all data. When i turn it on it is just like when i bought it. Doesn't even have my personal information.

It was the victim of a hard reset. Basically, all your information has been wiped, and the only way to get it back is to restore from a backup file. I'm assuming you never created one?

I did active sync it and still have it on my home computer. When i go to sync it, the active sync does not recognize it and wants to enter a new device or be a guest. WHAt does this mean.

Following a hard reset, profile information is deleted too. So, the partnership you had between your computer and Pocket PC is no longer present. You'll have to create a new partnership using the pop-up wizard that appears when you connect the device.

How do i get all my information back and get the active sync to recognize it.

As mentioned earlier, unless you have a backup file (presumably, created with the Data Backup application), there's nothing else you can do other than to start over.

pmr
02-20-2006, 12:51 AM
I had on occasion saved my files on my computer. I can actually bring up all that information such as contacts and pictures and games.
The wizard does ask me to set up a new contact but not sure how to do it.
It asks me to name this contact. the old one was poctet_pc. it won't let me name this one poctet_pc2. Why? If i rename it will I be able to restore all the information?

Nurhisham Hussein
02-20-2006, 01:33 AM
You need to delete the old partnership in activesync first, before you can use the same name. Open Activesync, select File->Delete Partnership, don't worry, this won't touch your data. Then create a new one through the wizard.

Darius Wey
02-20-2006, 02:45 AM
I had on occasion saved my files on my computer. I can actually bring up all that information such as contacts and pictures and games.

Right. If you have a few files on your computer, you can copy them back over once you've set up your device. In addition, you might have some programs available for installation via the ActiveSync Add/Remove Programs option.

The wizard does ask me to set up a new contact but not sure how to do it. It asks me to name this contact. the old one was poctet_pc. it won't let me name this one poctet_pc2. Why?

hishamh outlines the best way to sort out this issue. The reason why it's prompting for a new name is because the name of your Pocket PC in its previous state is still stored on the computer. If you delete this, you can start over.

If i rename it will I be able to restore all the information?

No. As I mentioned in my previous post, it's as good as gone, unfortunately.

pmr
02-20-2006, 05:07 AM
Will try to delete old partnership and try again, Nothing to loose. Will let you know what happens.

pmr
02-21-2006, 02:08 AM
IT WORKED!!!!!!! I went in and deleted the partnership and with the wizard help i formed a new partnership and got back all of my information.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. :)

Darius Wey
02-21-2006, 02:34 AM
IT WORKED!!!!!!! I went in and deleted the partnership and with the wizard help i formed a new partnership and got back all of my information.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. :)

A-ha! You meant your Outlook information? If you maintain a working partnership with your computer, and keep your appointments, contacts, tasks, etc. on your computer, then you can always sync it back in the event that your Pocket PC chokes.

Other files that you might save on the device tend to be gone, unless you save them in My Documents and enable automatic synchronising of "Files" in ActiveSync.

It's often good to get in the routine of backing up your device every so often - I suggest when you have a spare moment, look at one of the following two applications: Spb Backup, or Sprite Backup. They can really save the day when things go wrong. :)

Good to see you got it all up and running, though.