View Full Version : If Our Devices Were Built-to-Order...

Raphael Salgado
02-17-2006, 03:00 AM
Now that some of the newest and forthcoming Phone Edition devices are being revealed or presented at the <a href="http://www.3gsmworldcongress.com/">3GSM World Congress 2006</a> in Barcelona, the online communities are abuzz with both anticipation as well as frustration.<br /><br />With <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,46505">initial reports of the HTC Hermes' technical specifications</a> (i.e. a possibly-inferior clock speed on its CPU, yet another memory module type to deal with, and a non-standard mini-USB port that may impose new cables and accessories), to other devices that just seem to lack just one or two major features (such as a QVGA screen, quadband, EDGE, Wi-Fi or at least 128MB ROM) to make it the "killer product," one has to ponder: <i>who's "behind the wheel" to make these seemingly haphazard decisions? Is anyone listening to the end-user's needs?</i> :roll: <br /><br />Given the opportunity to build your own Phone Edition device and keeping within reality and affordability (i.e. no 2.2" SVGA LCD or 3500mAh Lithium-Polymer battery the size of a quarter), what would be the specifications of your device and how much would you be willing to pay for it? Is there a device now or in the near future that you would make a few changes to, in order to get it right? What are your thoughts on getting your ideas to the right people, so that we won't be scratching our heads at the next conference? :?

JonnoB
02-17-2006, 03:59 AM
WM5 Phone Edition
HTC Wizard good looks with Universal swivel style screen (slight slimmer and narrower than current Wizard)
Slide-out keyboard to increase size similar to Universal (remember Think Outside mobile keyboard)?
External LCD when closed
External dial and d-pad buttons when closed
2.4" VGA
BT 2.0
BT HID and Mass Storage support native
WiFi b/g/a
Integrated GPS
GSM Quad Band
EDGE/UMTS/HSPDA
Consumer IR
256mb+ ROM
128mb RAM
Dual MiniSD slots
USB Slave and Host
Jog Dial with push
Replace internal d-pad with PSP-style analog stick with push-click
Support DualSIM and SIM with flash
OMAP 3430 or newer CPU clocked at 550Mhz or higher
3D accelerated video (NVidia, Intel, ATI, etc)
Integrated sterep speakers
backside 3+ megapixel camera with true flash
VGA camera on LCD side (video conferencing)
TV Tuner (analog and satellite)
AM/FM integrated tuner
XM integrated tuner

I can dream, can't I? I would pay upwards of $1.5k if all this came in the sub-Wizard sized do it all PDA/Phone

Update: Some things I forgot added

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 04:08 AM
&lt;snip>

And good battery life to go with it. ;)

Patrick Y.
02-17-2006, 04:17 AM
3.7 VGA LTPS TFT-LCD
BT 2.0
1 GB ROM
128 RAM
1500mah battery minimum
The next generation of 1.5 (or 1.25?)ghz processor from Intel
USB Host
Jog dial
"Standard" SD, no CF to keep size like n300
Wifi b/g
laser projected keyboard built -in:wink:(http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/)
Some kind of graphic accelerator from Intel, NVIDIA, ATI
GPS, EDGE, and other broadband wireless
Stereo speaker/microphone
Decent 3 megapixel camera with 3X optical zoom with REAL flash at least
Under $500
etc.

And MOST important of ALL, my dream device will be free of the bugs found on HTC devices. :roll:

edit: Modified a few things

JwY
02-17-2006, 04:19 AM
the wizard with updated looks and better construction
- better stylus silo
- add gps
- double the ram and rom
- better processor (something like the m600's)
- improved battery
- maybe 5mm thinner as well or get the device to be 20mm thick
- maybe a 3.5mm audio adapter
- consumer ir
- usb host

that's it, it's pretty doable, i don't need a vga res on such a small screen anyways or a built-in hard drive etc.

jngold_me
02-17-2006, 04:27 AM
1. Start with an Ipaq 4150
2. Increase the thickness just a bit to accomodate a slide keyboard (ala Samsung i730)
3. Upgrade Wifi to G and BT to 2.0
4. Add a battery somewhere around 1250mah

You've got yourself a winner.

baralong
02-17-2006, 04:41 AM
At the moment I'm looking at going for the JASJAR I really want a keyboard and VGA. I'm a bit put off by the size.

I'd go for a KJAM with VGA and an SD Slot and a better camera, better batery too, but that's a given. Also have the AKU2 patch.

I'd ask for GPS too but I think I'm pushing it as it is.

Where are all the VGA phone edition devices? :?:

Zidane
02-17-2006, 06:06 AM
I'd like to see something like the e-Ten m600 with the following changes:
Consumer IR (or any IR for that matter!)
128 MB RAM (at the very least)
256 MB Flash ROM (at the very least)
Dual SDIO slots
VGA screen
USB host without having to use the cradle
Decent battery life
EDGE compatible (for US customers)
BT 2.0
WiFi 802.11g (not b)
624MHz CPU or faster
Direct from MS updates rather than going through the OEMs
3.5 mm headphone jack

I think about $700 would be reasonable (as an upper limit) for this. I also think that these specs are easily doable.

patato
02-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Let's see...
Universal design plus external dsp., it can be monocrome.
Wi-Fi b/g but WiMax even better!
BT 2.0
VGA although QVGA is ok
EDGE/Quad-band/UTMS/
(CDMA is unacceptable cause VZ and crippled BT,Sprint is stingy on minutes)
One of them next-gen Intel CPU's, but that new TI's ok
A video acclerator (ATi cause most of the enhanced programs use one,but I'm an Nvidia fanboy)
Keyboard is preferred
A SD card slot!
Rubberization -for the unavoidable drop
128mb ram
64mb rom but room to solder on more
FM radio with RDS and "Hi-Def"
USB host
WM 5.0 sans memory hole!
More colors than black and sliver
Consumer IR and Nevo
CCD based camara
Battery life is not a top priority
And most importantly...it should be available in the US!
and I wouldn't pay more than 450$ unlocked. I know, I'm cheap :mrgreen: but subsides go far!

hiatus
02-17-2006, 07:38 AM
3.7" VGA and the size of the Acer n311
128MB RAM (very important as I can't do mult-tasking really with only 64MB RAM)
624MHz or faster CPU
a graphic card to help playback movies
64MB ROM or above
WiFi 802.11b
Bluetooth, any verision
SD or CF card slot
6 hardware buttons
well built cradle (i broke my Dell X50v cradle two times in the last year, I don't think the dell cradle is a good design)
3.5mm jack
USB host
decent battery life

willing to pay max of $750 CAD for it

encece
02-17-2006, 07:45 AM
I'd like to add one thing...

...The ear speaker and microphone on the BACK SIDE of the phone so I dont get FACE JUICE all over the screen!

heov
02-17-2006, 07:52 AM
treo 700w.

a bit thinner.

wifi.

adjustable clcok speed to 624mhz.

256 rom.

128 ram.

kill the antenna.

hi res screen.

some sort of flip cover that would be be engineered so perfectly that i couldn't even imagine how it would work but would be perfect in every way.

biggest battery that can fit (must be able to loop a movie w/ med brightness for 5hrs).

600 bucks w/o phone features.
700 bucks w/ phone features.

OR

rx1955 shell with high end specs (fast cpu, ram/rom, etc, and bigger battery).

JonnoB
02-17-2006, 08:04 AM
&lt;snip>

And good battery life to go with it. ;)

But of course... we would expect an improvement even with the extra circuitry in our dream device!

felixdd
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
A "perfect" device will never be built for two reasons, one very obvious, the other less so.

1) Everyone's needs are different.

2) Perfect devices don't make money.

For example, if you were going to make an iPod that displayed videos, what would you do? Squeeze the video into a small screen and insist on using a touch-based scroll wheel? Or expand the screen so that it covers the entire device, and make it a touch screen so that your scroll wheel displays on the screen?

If you made the second device (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0602videoipod.html) right away, you would've loss the potential sales on the first device.

Another example would be from SonyEricsson -- the jump from T610-T630, or more recently from W800 to W810.

As long as the customers keep buying, companies will keep releasing devices that are just shy of perfection, then release "upgrades" to earn the extra buck.

baralong
02-17-2006, 08:52 AM
canI can't believe I for got the 3.5mm head phone jack. I really want that. Also a standard mini USB plug for suncing and USB Host, just because.

With regard to the "perfect device" I agree it doesn't exist. We are all too used to being able to build up our PCs out of standard(ish) components so we can get a "perfect" PC.

A common set of features in existing phones seems to be:
QVGA
WiFi
Bluetooth
memory card slot
(optional) camera

The changes people want seem to be:
Higher resolution screen (VGA or 480 by 480)
More Memory
Better performance, particularly for multimedia
Upgrade wireless protocols to latest (802.11g and bluetooth 2.0)
Standard connectors (Sync and charge and headphone)
More common memory card format (SD is small and cheap)
Extra buttons, I assume call, hangup and four more

None of that seems unrealistic.

VGA is the big thing for me. It jsut makes the text on the screen that much clearer and easier to read. Is a VGA screen that much more expensive?

UCCOFFEE
02-17-2006, 09:07 AM
i ll back up jngold_me!
He said " 4150 " , that's the ideal size of pocketpc phone
When the 1910 1st release, i already realise that it should be a phone , and not just a PPC

i would pay around the $ of the current top of the most expensive Imate JasJaR if there's a pocketpc phone with 2MP camera (auto focus + macro) / wifi in the size of a HP 1910 (and same screen size) ( or 1920 , 1930 , 1940 , 4150 , 1950 )

build your own... the more function , the more $ it cost
it would be great if we have got a choice, like what dell is doing.

saru83
02-17-2006, 09:25 AM
3" VGA
BT 2.0
Consumer IR
WiFi b/g
GSM Quad Band
EDGE/UMTS/HSPDA
GPS
FM radio
4gb ROM “internal memory”
256mb RAM
1ghz INTEL processor
Intel graphic accelerator
WM5 Phone Edition
Stereo speakers
2000mah battery
USB Host
4 Megapixel Camera w/ decent flash &amp; some sort of optical zoom
Jog dial
Standard SDIO
3.5 mm headphone jack
Keyboard
Form Factor: BENQ P50
Weight: 150grams
Dimensions: 110mm x 60mm x 15mm
Preferable brand: Sony Ericsson
Willing to pay up to 1300 USD

martin_ayton
02-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Look, I just want a converged device that will operate around the globe (so, quad band GSM) with standard connectors (mini-USB with host and client drivers; standard headphone jack; latest, full-featured bluetooth) and standard memory expansion (SD Card, IMO) good, high speed data connectivity (wi-fi b/g; EDGE; dual-band UTMS) a bright VGA screen and a processor capable of handling this lot without compromise. The battery would have to be up to the job too. Oh, I'd also like it to be built into a form factor that doesn't make me feel like a dork when I have it up to my ear. Is that too much to ask? :mrgreen:

ADBrown
02-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Does it have to be a phone edition? I'd like my Axim X51v plus a Universal style twist-and-flip keyboard, so that I can use it either in clamshell or tablet modes. Maybe I'd throw in an upgraded processor too, a GPS receiver, and some kind of long-range wireless like EDGE/UMTS, but that's about it. I'm quite happy, thank you. Oh, and more RAM. But really, that's it. :devilboy:

And a jog dial.

And a return to the one-piece battery and cover arrangement.

Somebody stop me.

SquareRig
02-17-2006, 01:23 PM
I'd settle for either a WM 5.0 Smartphone or a Pocket PC Phone Edition device.

The Smartphone would be similar to the HTC Star Trek:

- attractive clamshell design
- thin and light
- minimalistic design (no self-portrait mirror, no useless flash)
- EDGE support
- quad band
- Bluetooth with current profiles
- QVGA internal screen resolution

It would have the following qualities, which the Start Trek may or may not provide:

- long battery life (5 days on stand-by, 3 days with occasional use)
- provide good tactile feedback on the keyboard
- external display that is easily readable in bright sunlight
- modest resolution, high quality camera (good optics more important than megapixels)
- standard mini USB connector

Unlike Star Trek, I would want a GPS receiver built in!!! But I can do without Wifi and UMTS.

The phone edition device would be similar to the HTC Prophet or the E-TEN G500 or the Mio A701, with some differences:

- Minimalistic design with few buttons externally
- VGA screen resolution!
- Numeric keypad sliding out at the bottom (no QWERTY keyboard with those tiny keys)
- long battery life (10 days on standby, 5 days with occasional use)
- quad band
- EDGE
- good GPS receiver without external antenna
- Bluetooth with current profiles
- modest resolution, high quality camera (good optics more important than megapixels)
- standard mini USB connector
- USB slave and host support (with enough output power to drive a portable hard disk? dream...)
- Wifi nice to have, but not crucial
- FM receiver nice to have, but not crucial

I don't much care which memory card format is used, since I regard them as built-in memory expansion cards, and usually don't swap them.

Prices for each device up to about US $700.

SquareRig

PDANEWBIE
02-17-2006, 02:32 PM
what would be the specifications of your device and how much would you be willing to pay for it

Look at all these responses -

Not 1 is the same from another... Here is what I propose that PDA manufacturers do... Make things modular and you pay by the part! this way you customize your own PDA or PDA/Phone or whatever with the essential things that you yourself feel the need. I.E. if you want a slim case vrs a thick case you can have less modules and things like that.

KayMan2k
02-17-2006, 05:32 PM
I have described a dream device that can be used as a portable media center, gaming device, information manager, guidance system that is comptable with other mobile device (such as a USB Hard disk).

Essentials
- 3.5 VGA Screen w/ Highly Responsive Touchpanel
- 3D and 2D Video Acceleration
- 6GB Primary Storage (For Multimedia, Maps)
- 512MB RAM
- Very Loud Mono Speaker (To Use PDA As Effective Traveling Alarm)
- Large 5-Way D-PAD (Many Current Ones Are Too Small)
- Form Factor: Love my iPaq 5550's style, just perhaps a bit thinner or with more features.

Radio Communications
- WiFi b/g
- BlueTooth
- GPS
- Consumer IR (Grrr @ HP for no Nevo! in h555x)

Slots
- SD Slot (2x If There Is Room)
- USB Host + Slave (miniUSB Interface)
- TV Out (Via Adaptor)

Would Be Nice
- TV Tuner
- FM Tuner
- External Temperature Sensor
- Camera (With software to use it as a full-page scanner).
- Nanoparticle Treatment (Prevent or repair casual scratches).

Don't Want
- Keyboard
- Cellular Protocols (Because they are carrier-specific.)

Price
- I would be willing to pay up to $700.
- On a separate note, a big price issue is Internet access fees from wireless carriers. I would purchase a Smart Phone in an instant, if I could use the internet unlimited for less than $80/month (I'm thinkin' $5/month).

Constant Caffeine
02-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I wish PDA's had built-in overhead projector in them. Also, if they would be able to take voice commands via a blue tooth headset that would be awesome.

Jacob
02-17-2006, 06:29 PM
1. 2Gb of RAM and ROM - hey, if you want to go big, go REAL big. We're talking about ideal right, not realistic.

2. All software like PI that I can choose pre-installed to ROM and upgradable via ROM upgrades.

3. Camera that can be folded out - so lens isn't always exposed. 5 Megapixel of course.

4. 10 day battery life - that's when the first warning of "low battery" would come up.

5. Unlimited warrantee on all parts. I should never have to pay to fix anything - including shipping to and from manufacturer.

6. Unlimited free upgrades - hardware and software.

7. Screw voice command, it should be able to read my mind.

Cybrid
02-17-2006, 07:17 PM
:lol: Some O'you guys need to remember ! It's puff, puff , Pass! :wink:

Seriously. $500 should be the upper limits of what you'd pay for a PPC.
You can buy a low end laptop for that!
Within those limits, an X51v with the extended battery and a RAM upgrade.

I've found that dealing with the OS iniquities is what has taught me most about operating PPC's. A dumb device forces me to be smarter. The device that could do everything and anticipate every need right out of the box wouldn't teach me s**t.

Edited by mod JR for content.

Raphael Salgado
02-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Somehow, the idea of keeping within 'reality and affordability' got lost in translation somewhere. ;)

First of all, if you're designing a GSM Phone Edition device, for heaven's sake, build a quad-band device. There's no need to single out an entire country because you can't implement an extra band in the circuity.

While you're at it, don't even bother putting together a device if it doesn't have EDGE/EGPRS. If I read this correctly on mpirical's website (http://www.mpirical.com/companion/mpirical_companion.html#http://www.mpirical.com/companion/GSM/EDGEEvolution.htm), EDGE sounds like code implementation (radio stack?) rather than newer hardware dependency. Have EDGE at least, and UMTS/HSDPA as an upgradable feature - and don't forget the US band for 3G.

EDGE uses the same spectrum allocated for GSM900, GSM1800 and GSM1900 operation. Instead of employing GMSK (Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying) EDGE uses 8PSK (8 Phase Shift Keying) producing a 3bit word for every change in carrier phase. This effectively triples the data rate offered by GSM. The use of EDGE enables GSM to increase the data rates that can be offered to users of the GSM spectrum, aligning the technology with 3G (Third Generation) systems.

If you're going to have an integrated camera, make it a front-facing camera. Even if you're only going to have one, it gives the possibility that, if a third-party developer puts together an application for videoconferencing, it'll work on your device.

Must add Wi-Fi. It's been proven time and again that having integrated Wi-Fi is incredibly valuable, especially in times where people are shifting to VoIP products like Skype, Woize, and in areas where the signal is just not good enough or is unneeded (Panera, Starbucks, etc.) 'g' has gotten cheap enough that 'b' would just be for lazy designers.

Stop with the plastic. The HTC Magician proved itself to be one of the most durable and portable Phone Edition device around. I picked up an E-TEN M500 after the JAM (after hearing it was quadband and would have Windows Mobile 5.0), but was so disappointed in the fact that it felt like a cheap toy. It was like going from Sony or Pioneer to Coby or GPX. I'll deal with the weight.

3.5 mm headphone jack, USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.0, Consumer IR. You'll just be making your customers happy, or at least less frustrated. Let's have a full USB port (not mini), if you can handle it. If you can make it a USB host, it's even better. USB 1.1 speeds are insulting, now that 2.0 has clearly made its mark. Charging should be via USB only. Enough with proprietary sync/power cables (c'mon, E-TEN!). Bluetooth should be the latest, too, especially with current concerns that bandwidth and throughput is a problem with 1.1. Adding 3.5 mm audio will just make life a whole lot easier, especially when everyone's 2.5 mm connector is somehow a little different than the other. Really, is adding 1 mm in diameter just too much for you?! And with so many home appliances racking up with a ton of remote controls, spending the extra few bucks on a real infrared transceiver will make the device more versatile, and even increase the Wife Acceptance Factor.

Interface placement. Think before you put a port or slot on the device and be consistent about it! An IR port on the side, or a memory slot underneath is perfect evidence for a lack of insight. Headphone jack at the top, and the USB port underneath and centered, please. iPods are getting it right, or haven't you been noticing how easy it is to create accessories, like docking stations, for them?

No more square screens. After years of 240x320 and thousands of programs geared for it, why give less?

Freedom of updates. It's been mentioned here before, but it just makes sense. If you're not going to have the resources to up-keep your firmware, put it in the hands of people who can - the end-users. Leave the core pieces intact, such as the bootloader, so even the newbie can mess it up and fix it. Really, other than the device-specific drivers, and memory management, shouldn't all the other Windows Mobile OS files be pretty much identical?

Stay out of the Core ROM. Keeping the previous paragraph in mind, if you're going to have an Extended ROM, place any non-Microsoft data there. It gives the option to the end-user not to use it if they don't want it. While E-TEN made a bunch of customizations for their M500, they couldn't hire a spell-checker or quality assurance person to verify it. My O2 XDA Atom is saturated with Australian and Hong Kong settings, radio stations, customizations, and a bug that can't be remedied without a firmware upgrade.

More memory. A lot more. Now that Windows Mobile 5.0 has become more of a 'memory hog' in some ways than its predecessors, and with prices of memory modules dropping, it's obvious that more memory should be integrated into the device. I install nearly everything to the external memory card, even with 128MB Flash ROM. It's just not enough.

Get back to SD. Considering the small difference between the sizes of mini-SD and SD cards, there's no reason to go mini-SD. And micro-SD is even worse. There's just not enough benefit to deal with anything smaller than SD. In order for a mini/micro-SD card to be useful outside of a PDA, you still need the SD adapter. There are no external USB readers for mini/micro-SD - it's just another hassle, and I'm not about to buy another 14-in-1 USB 2.0 reader to accomodate it.

The bonuses: TV tuner, video capture, FM tuner, integrated GPS, Satellite radio tuner, Satellite TV tuner, whatever. These are the afterthoughts. Get the first part down right, then come to this section when you're good and ready.

None of the above I mentioned are beyond our range of reality and affordability. We just have to get these ideas to the people who think they're doing the right thing, when in fact, they just aren't listening.

epdm2be
02-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I'll keep my desires very down-to-earth.

I think I would be content with a Siemens pocket Loox N520 with either phone funtionality built in or both Wifi AND Bluetooth.

As it is right now its interesting (for me) but I would have wanted bluetooth as well.

The illuminated keys are great when used in a cradle or in a car driving at night. In fact all cell-phones have it why not PPC smartphones?

Regards,

EPDM

davea0511
02-17-2006, 11:07 PM
With they way things are done now there is no way Devices could be "Built to Order". No way. Can't be done.

Why? Because each manufacturer has resorted into packaging groups of features into 2-4 different models, trying to organize consumers into definitive groups and then designing a specific device to satisfy each group.

IMHO that's just a really messed up way of doing things. Sure it makes sense from a marketing and manufacturing efficiency standpoint - which results in greater revenue for the companies, but it makes an assumption which is just plain false: that there are a million people out the who want exactly what you want. There aren't. You can sit here and argue until you're blue in the face that your ideal device is the ultimate device for everyone, but you'll be wrong.

One possible solution is to make PDA's modular. PDA's make it a processor and a touchscreen with 4 or more different SDIO [or some universally accepted expansion standard] slots. I don't care what expansion slot standard is used really, just so long as it it universally accepted and open to design for without requiring royalties (ie. good-riddance sony).

I know it wouldn't work right now because there's not enough SDIO peripherals out there, but there would if they started making PDAs this way. Then you could have exactly the PDA you want, and so could everyone else instead of getting shoven into a consumer grouping that doesn't quite fit right.

They already have SDIO versions of the most common types of peripherals - and if they make PDA's like this then they could truly be "Built-to-Order", and we'd do the building.

ziggurat29
02-18-2006, 01:01 AM
just the most important things to me:

* USB host -- I find it somewhat disturbing that current generation cpus (PXA270) have a USB host controller on-chip, but it is unusable because it is not electrically connected to anything. Only the USB slave is brought out to the connector.

* Jog Dial -- it's the one thing I truly miss from my old Clie. It beats the pants off d-pads or stylus.

* No value-add software in ROM image -- Since WM5 has the persistent store, make all the value-add software user-installable from the CD. The ROM image should have just the basic OS and relevant drivers and UI components. Many of the built-in software I have preferred alternatives and I'd rather recover that space for general-purpose storage.

whydidnt
02-18-2006, 01:20 AM
The MPx form factor with:

An external phone pad under the external screen. I can use it as a candy bar or flip phone that way.

4 GB ROM - If the apple can fit it in the Nano, no physical reason it can't go into my much larger phone.

128 MB RAM - Let's not feel cramped for no good reason

VGA screen with ATI Graphics processor

Intel 624 Mhz Processor

Quad Band GSM, EDGE, HSDPA, WiFi, Bluetooth &amp; GPS

SD Card Slot

Reasonable Battery Life

I'd gladly pay in excess of $1,000 for such a device. I often wonder why we don't see "boutique" PPC and phone manufacturers like we see in the PC world. High end, custom PC's are where almost all money is made by PC manufacturers these days. Surely some smaller manufacturer could make money with a low volume, high margin line -- I guess I-mate is trying this approach, but they are really just using standard OEM'dd devices that have to compete with telco branded devices in many markets.

Raphael Salgado
02-18-2006, 03:49 AM
Now that the PowerBall jackpot is $365 million and the Mega Millions jackpot is $145 million (got tickets for both!), it got me thinking - how much, realistically, would it cost to have a manufacturer design one line of devices to one's specifications? ;)

Considering that there is existing hardware (or not), and I said, "take the best from this, this, and this, but make that..." Would the cost range in the tens or hundreds of thousands, or a million, or what?

isajoo
02-18-2006, 08:01 AM
there is nothing wrong with the size of most current pda's on the market, why do all company's want to make them smaller... judt add a phone setting to every pda that would include gsm...use it if you want...bluetooth would make every pda into a hands free phone... who really likes to have there huge smartphones upto their ear.All of the features that today's pda have is enough... just add the phone feature...maybe a compact flash/sd gsm phone card with software to enable any pda to work as a phone.

doughboy
02-18-2006, 11:19 PM
who really likes to have there huge smartphones upto their ear.

isajoo, my thoughts precisely!

Begin with the iPAQ 4150 form factor and design and increase dimensions only as required.

Ability to only use the phone function with a Bluetooth 2.0 connection (non-phone standard placement of microphone)

Voice activation software for phone functions

3.7" VGA screen with graphics processor

*Intel 624 Mhz or faster processor

*Titanium case

128 MB RAM

512 MB ROM (we all know only a portion of the ROM is actually accessible)

SD/SDIO Card Slot

*Frequency bands to accommodate all cellular standards around the world

Wifi (b/g)

Bluetooth

*GPS

Jog Dial

Hardware button access to turn on &amp; off WiFi, BT, &amp; GPS
Hardware button for voice recording

Acceptable battery life

USB host &amp; slave

"Electric eye" to adjust backlight (similar to iPAQ 3650)

modified for cellular WM2003SE or an OS that is better than WM2005

3.5 mm headphone jack,

$500 - $600 unlocked but purchased with 1 year cellular contract
$600 - $700 without contract

* denotes optional or interchangeable (options could decrease price by $50 - $100)

"If you build it, they will come."

Phoenix
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
&lt;Rolls up sleeves...>

Some of what I've written here is lengthy because I'm being very specific about details that I'd like to see, based on usability, not just specs. Others may or may not share my vision, but either way is fine, because these are my personal thoughts and desires based on how I use and would use a device and what I'd like to see one day.

So read what you want, and skip the rest if you wish.

What I desire in a convergence device:

Form Factor:

Either of the following:

- Clamshell (like the HTC Universal with swiveling and folding screen, or the Motorola MPx with the dual-hinge. I'll dub this a "Type 1" device).
- Candybar (like the Treo. I'll dub this a "Type 2" device).

***Note: Type 1 devices - We know that a device of this form factor could be orientated two ways: the screen could be folded open in landscape mode, or it could be opened (and the screen-half possibly swiveled and folded shut, if it had that ability) and put into portrait mode - like we see with the HTC Universal or Motorola MPx. Keep this in mind when reading.

***Note: Type 1 and Type 2 references will apply to the following categories, below - "Port and Jack Placement and Function", "Buttons, Switches, and Placement", "SDIO Card Slot, Speakers, and Microphones Placement", and "Imaging and Lens Placement".

The Basics:

- Latest edition of Microsoft Windows Mobile
- 2.8"-3.7" VGA 16-24-bit Transflective (maybe OLED) Primary Touchscreen (Widescreen only, no square-shaped primary screens!)
- 2"-2.5" 16-bit Transflective (maybe OLED) Secondary Outer Screen (square-shaped, and applicable only to Type 1 devices, of course)
- Intel XScale PXA27x Proc @ no less than 500+MHz (or maybe the upcoming Intel GHz Procs)
- NVidia or ATI Graphics Acceleration
- 6GB Flash Storage ROM (read: for the user only, not to be shared with the OS! And one day soon (not ten years from now), I want to see 30-60GB HDD's or flash memory in these devices so it can replace my iPod).
- 256MB RAM (read: for the user only, not to be shared with the OS!)
- Stereo Speakers, Ear-Speaker (two for Type 1 devices), and Microphone (two for Type 1 devices)
- SDIO slot (No miniSD or microSD, and please no Memory Stick of any kind!)
- Integrated Backlit Thumbtype Keyboard (Backlit in blue! Forget red or other colors)
- No external Antenna
- Superb Battery life (Ten hours of heavy use, excluding standby time)
- Unlocked

Wireless:

- Quad-band GSM (not tri-band, QUAD!)
- GPRS and EDGE
- Dual-band UMTS w/HSDPA support (and HSUPA - whenever that's available)

(The wireless components I listed above are what make up a true world-phone. If you're missing one of these wireless components, then it's not a world-phone. Simple as that).

- WiFi b and g (or the mobile version of WiMax - whenever that's available)
- BT 2.0
- GPS (SIRFstar III please, not A-GPS!)
- Two-Way Radio
- Consumer IR

Ports and Jacks:

- TV Out
- Mini USB (USB 2.0/Host capable, not 1.1!)
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack
- Consumer IR

Port and Jack Placement and Function:

- TV Out: For Type 1 devices, this port should be left-justified on the back edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the bottom of the left edge (when in portrait mode). Justifying the placement of this port would effectively keep it away from the Jog Dial and out of the way of a person's hand or fingers when the phone is held to one's head.

For Type 2 devices, this port should only be on the top (or maybe a side) edge, but not the bottom edge.

- Mini USB: For Type 1 devices, this port should be centered on the left edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the the bottom edge (when in portrait mode). This way, a special dock could be made to allow the phone to slip into place when orientated either way, to allow for syncing and charging.

For Type 2 devices, this port should only be centered on the bottom edge, not the top or side edges, for easy docking when syncing and charging.

This Mini USB port should double as both a sync and charge port.

- 3.5mm Headphone Jack: For Type 1 devices, this port should be located on the right edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the top edge (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, this port should be on the top edge.

- Consumer IR: Same as "3.5mm Headphone Jack" above.

Buttons, Switches, and Placement:

***Note: All buttons should be labeled and outlined in backlit blue (a secondary backlighting color, like red, could be used in addition to blue to add contrast).

- 5-Way D-Pad: A bit larger so it's easier to use, and situated so it's to the right of the primary screen (when folded open in landscape mode), and below the primary screen (when in portrait mode).

- Three Hardware Buttons: Context-sensitive (two of them also for Send/End functions), and situated in between the D-Pad and the primary screen.

- Analog Joystick: For better gaming and mouse pointer control (like we see on the Sony PSP), and situated so it's below the D-Pad (when folded open in landscape mode), and to the left of the D-Pad (when in portrait mode).

- Four additional Multi-Purpose Buttons: For quick launching apps, camera functions, and for better gaming. Two situated vertically above the D-Pad, and two situated vertically, lower down and to the left of the primary screen (when folded open in landscape mode), or two situated horizontally and to the right of the D-Pad, and two situated horizontally on the left and above the primary screen (when in portrait mode).

- Volume Buttons: For Type 1 devices, these buttons should be somewhere on the right-half of the front edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the top-half of the right edge (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, these buttons should be on the top of the right edge.

- 5-Way Jog Dial: For Type 1 devices, this button should be right-justified on the back edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the top of the left edge (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, this Jog Dial should be near the top of the left edge.

This Jog Dial should be 5-Way, programmable and context sensitive to allow for additional functionality and easier one-handed operation. Also, the Jog Dial should not click when being rotated, but rather, have a smooth rotation with just the slightest bit of resistance to improve tactile feedback and make the Jog Dial more pleasurable to use.

- On/Off Button: For Type 1 devices, this button should be on the right edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the top edge (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, this button should be on the top edge.

- Secondary Outer Screen (SOS) Buttons: Applicable to Type 1 devices only, these buttons should consist of a secondary 5-Way D-Pad (situated below the SOS (when in portrait mode)), and three secondary Context-sensitive Hardware Buttons (situated in between the secondary D-Pad and the SOS). These secondary D-Pad and buttons would control digital audio playback, digital camera and video, and digital voice recording functions, as well as basic phone functions (Send/End) and navigation without requiring the primary screen, controls, and keyboard to be exposed.

- Outer Keypad: Applicable to Type 1 devices only, this keypad should be situated below the secondary D-Pad. This keypad would allow for simplified use of the device - an easy way to dial manually without having to fold open the primary screen.

- Two-Way Radio Button: For Type 1 devices, this button should be to the left of the volume buttons on the front edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as being below the volume buttons on the left edge (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, this button should be on the right edge below the volume buttons.

- Hold Switch: For Type 1 devices, this switch (like we see on the iPod) should be on the right edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the top edge (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, this switch should be on the top edge.

This switch is obvious in its function, but should lock the primary screen by default, and additionally be software configurable to determine, when activated, which buttons it will block from operating.

SDIO Card Slot, Speakers, and Microphones Placement:

- SDIO Slot: For Type 1 devices, this slot should be located on the right edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the top edge (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, this slot should be on the top edge.

- Speakers: For Type 1 devices, the stereo speakers should be located on the front edge of the keyboard-half of the device (when folded open in landscape mode), which would also double as the right edge (when in portrait mode). There could also be a secondary ear speaker located above the secondary screen and buttons.

For Type 2 devices, the stereo speakers should preferrably be somewhere on the face of the device, but because there may not be enough room to house them in this way, they could be located on the right edge.

- Microphones: For either Type 1 or 2 devices, there should be one microphone where one would typically be found on any given phone. But for Type 1 devices, there could be a secondary microphone below the secondary screen and buttons.

Imaging and Lens Placement:

***Note: Either of these cameras could utilize a Varioptic or other liquid-type lens.

- 5.0-7.0 MP Primary Camera, with nothing smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor, with a very strong flash, optical-image stabilization, 5x or greater optical zoom, excellent macro mode and low light capability, very fast focus, capture, and write capability, flexible manual settings, and VGA 30fps video w/audio capture capability (all good enough to replace my pocketable Point and Shoot camera).

This lens should be located where it always is, whether on a Type 1 device like the HTC Universal, or a Type 2 device like every other camera phone.

- 1.0 MP Secondary Camera (for video-conferencing), with optical-image stabilization, excellent macro mode and low light capability, very fast focus, and flexible manual settings. There could also be a light somewhere next to the lens that could come on and shine steady (not flash, and user-controllable) during a video conference to increase image quality in lower light situations.

For Type 1 devices, this lens (and light) should be located in the upper half and to the left of the primary screen (when folded open in landscape mode), which would place it on the right and above the primary screen (when in portrait mode).

For Type 2 devices, this lens should be on the right and above the screen.

Media and Entertainment, etc:

- DMB/DVB-H OTA Digital TV reception and record capability
- XM Satellite Radio reception and record capability
- FM Radio reception and record capability
- Two-Way Cellular Call record capability

Chassis Material:

- Titanium Casing (no cheap plastic!)
- Black in color (I think black is coming back in a big way)
- Matte finish (not too dull, but not glossy (due to fingerprints))

Extras (In the box):

I don't expect some of these things, but they would make buying a device of this expense and sophistication a much better experience overall.

- Secondary Battery included
- One Charge/Sync Dock with USB cable and USB power adaptor (or separate power adaptor) included
- Custom Black Leather Case included (and something that looks like it was carefully and thoughtfully designed, hand-crafted, custom fitted, and really nice looking (no velcro!), with a completely removable belt clip (like we see on Piel Frama cases). Not like the crap that manufacturers always include as an afterthought).
- A separate Retractable Charge/Sync Mini USB cable (like what a person would find at PPC Techs)
- Two WriteSHIELD AG screen protectors included
- Three really nice Three-Way Stylii included (like the three-way stylii that a person would find at PPC Techs)

I'd like to see these items included in the box, which would effectively do the following:

- Increase the user-experience right out of the box by providing the user with most everything that a person would initially need (aside from software or elaborate accessories (like a Stowaway keyboard and mouse, for instance)).
- Decrease the initial and overall cost of ownership of a device of this nature (most people aren't interested in spending hundreds of dollars between accessories and software - these types of devices are expensive enough, and software just adds to it, so give us a few accessories in the box!)
- Increase the speed in which a user could get up and running and actually make use of his device.

Updates:

- There should be ROM upgrades that are quickly, easily, and often available to the user and easy to download and use at home in order to keep our devices in proper working order, while minimizing the complication and time spent upgrading.

What I Would Spend:

For all of this, I would spend between $1000-$1200 USD, but absolutely no more.

gibson042
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Phoenix, that was just amazing. I cannot think of one aspect that you failed to mention, and we are in a great level of agreement. Now I must ask your forgiveness for the little bit of criticism that I am about to inflict.

My perfect device would be identical to your Type 1, with the following exceptions: Flash memory could be as low as 512 MB, with 1-2 GB preferred (shared with the OS)
96-128 MB RAM (shared with the OS), to allow for battery life commensurate with a mobile device
1 microphone only—with good or very good sensitivity—in the same location as that of the HTC Universal
optional GPS, camera, and TV out (the latter possibly done through a cable, like with the Axim line)
Separate soft keys and send/end buttons, as on the Universal (but with soft keys accessible when the device is closed, unlike the Universal)
No joystick (I don't see how it could fit)
Additon of a jog dial, touch strip, or three-action toggle, either on the left side of the device in portrait mode, or replacing the volume controls and made programmable/context-sensitive
:!: Addition of a number pad below the secondary screen

And finally, a note on imaging:
Unless and until liquid lenses are available, high-quality images will be precluded on Pocket PCs by the bulky optics required. AFAIK, the same goes for image stabalization. The flash poses another problem; not from size but from high voltage requirements and high power draw. A decent flash on a Pocket PC may well require new LED advances, because I doubt the feasibility of using traditional camera technology. It is my feeling that integrating a good camera into a PPC will not be practical or even possible for at least several years.

That said, our only significant differences are in memory (due to cost and battery life), the joystick (due to size), and imaging (due to technology, size, cost, and battery life). Most likely, my ideal device would be a stepping stone on the way to yours, appearing perhaps a year earlier. I thank you for being so incredibly thorough, and apologize for piggy-backing.

baralong
02-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Phoenix 8O

Quite an impresive spec, although I can't imagine you'd have much room in there for a batery. I've had a thought about the internal flash. How about an internal SD slot, let the user pick the size when ordering, or, if they think they can be a better deal, with none. That way I could spend $80 and get 1Gb or $200 (what ever the rate is) and get 4Gb.

On to the software:
Keep the raw OS (as much as possible) by it's self and all value add software on CD.

A ROM builder app would be good, boot to a particular mode and the ROM is a flash drive, run an app and choose what apps you want in the rom. Configure it to your liking and then flash it.

That way on a hard reset you could have everything you want except the data. Of course for the novice user all the applications would come preloaded. The line I'd like them to tread is the "make it easy for hte novice and not painful for the expert" we could then also, perhaps, boot straight to the restore application on start up rather than the start up tutorial. Failing that give me a "skip this" button so I don't ahve to it.

Phoenix
02-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Phoenix, that was just amazing. I cannot think of one aspect that you failed to mention, and we are in a great level of agreement. Now I must ask your forgiveness for the little bit of criticism that I am about to inflict. :lol: Not a problem... criticize away. And thanks for the comments!

Now, without meaning to come across disagreeable, here are a few of my thoughts behind some of what I wrote and that you touched on...

My perfect device would be identical to your Type 1, with the following exceptions: Flash memory could be as low as 512 MB, with 1-2 GB preferred (shared with the OS). I agree that 1-2GB would be acceptable for a next gen device. However, my reason for going higher is reflected in the idea that by the time a device like the one I described was available, 6GB would be a reasonable capacity. (Truth be known, I think it's a reasonable capacity now, considering the 4GB we find in $200 iPod Nanos). I also believe that the OS needs its own bank of memory (to draw the majority of what it needs, anyway) so the user has available what is advertised, not half or less, as usual, and enough memory at that in order to truly multitask the increasingly sophisticated things we demand of our devices.

96-128 MB RAM (shared with the OS), to allow for battery life commensurate with a mobile device. For me, no WM5 device should have anything less than 128MB RAM right now. As devices continue to progress in their sophistication, 128MB won't be enough, which is why I suggested 256MB. My reasoning behind not sharing memory with the OS, is the same here as it is above, and even more crucial when it comes to RAM. As far as battery life is concerned, to support the features I envisioned, the battery would have to be exceptional to begin with, so I figure why skimp on the RAM?

1 microphone only—with good or very good sensitivity—in the same location as that of the HTC Universal. As far as mic location matching that of the HTC Universal, I completely agree! I thought with the addition of a secondary outer screen and buttons, a secondary mic and ear speaker would be necessary for digital voice recordings and answering the phone during moments when the primary screen and the mic and ear speaker near it were swiveled closed, and no BT earpiece was utilized.

optional GPS, camera, and TV out (the latter possibly done through a cable, like with the Axim line). You're right about the camera being optional - some businesses don't allow cameras (which is stupid when there are so many ways around that, but still...). While respecting your perspectives, I think GPS and TV out should be standard on this device. I think that they're incredibly useful and once we have them, we won't know how we lived without them (especially GPS!)

Separate soft keys and send/end buttons, as on the Universal (but with soft keys accessible when the device is closed, unlike the Universal). I can see how Send/End buttons that are separate from Soft Keys could be beneficial. Having the Soft Keys accessible when the primary screen is closed, matches what I envisioned in my post, so we're definitely in agreement there.

No joystick (I don't see how it could fit). Oh, it could fit! :lol:

Additon of a jog dial, touch strip, or three-action toggle, either on the left side of the device in portrait mode, or replacing the volume controls and made programmable/context-sensitive. I was thinking about the addition of a programmable/context sensitive jog dial as you suggest (like we see on Sony devices), and I would have to agree. This would make for a small addition that would add a lot of additional functionality and one-handed control on a device of this nature. I think I'll update my post!

:!: Addition of a number pad below the secondary screen. Now this would come in real handy. I agree. And another change I need to make to my post! :D

And finally, a note on imaging:
Unless and until liquid lenses are available, high-quality images will be precluded on Pocket PCs by the bulky optics required. AFAIK, the same goes for image stabalization. The flash poses another problem; not from size but from high voltage requirements and high power draw. A decent flash on a Pocket PC may well require new LED advances, because I doubt the feasibility of using traditional camera technology. It is my feeling that integrating a good camera into a PPC will not be practical or even possible for at least several years. I would have to agree. And so I'm very interested in the liquid lenses. I've also read that they might offer up to 10x optical zoom for both still and video imaging. I say, bring it on! However, I don't think we're goiong to have to wait for several years for this. Perhaps a few, but regardless of when, I'm looking forward to it.

...I thank you for being so incredibly thorough, and apologize for piggy-backing. Hey, no problems. And again, thanks for the comments! As I always say, variety is the spice, baby, the spice!

Phoenix
02-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Phoenix 8O

Quite an impresive spec, although I can't imagine you'd have much room in there for a batery. I've had a thought about the internal flash. How about an internal SD slot, let the user pick the size when ordering, or, if they think they can be a better deal, with none. That way I could spend $80 and get 1Gb or $200 (what ever the rate is) and get 4Gb. Well, there better be a battery, otherwise we'd be in trouble! :lol: Now, although I'd want an SD card to backup the most critical files, etc., IMO, for $1000+, there needs to be sufficient memory - certainly nothing less than 1GB on the ROM side of things, without having to spend additional money on SD cards.

On to the software:
Keep the raw OS (as much as possible) by it's self and all value add software on CD. I absolutely agree.

...we could then also, perhaps, boot straight to the restore application on start up rather than the start up tutorial. I'd be for that.

gibson042
02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
It is good. I will joyously upgrade to your device, when available. :mrgreen:

Most likely, my ideal device would be a stepping stone on the way to yours, appearing perhaps a year earlier.