View Full Version : Hong Kong/ Japan electronics?!?!?!?!?!?

jayson
02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey,

Next month, i'm going on a Mission Trip to Sri Lank. But first, we have to stop by Hong Kong!! I was wondering if they would have any Pocket PC's there??? I'm really curious if they would have newer ones there that we haven't even heard of here!!!!! I'm also going to Japan this summer.

Darius Wey
02-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Hong Kong is a powerhouse for Pocket PCs. Your eyes will water when you see the quantity of devices available. Most of the new ones we announce here at the site can be seen on the streets within a few weeks. I hope you can read Chinese though, as some of the devices sold only carry a Chinese version of Windows Mobile.

jayson
02-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Cool!!!!! :mrgreen:

So they DO have a lot of Pocket PC's there???? Do you think all of them have the chinese version???

Do you know if there are any good brands there????

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Jayson51

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 03:36 AM
So they DO have a lot of Pocket PC's there????

Yes. :)

Do you think all of them have the chinese version???

Most are, though you can get lucky and find an English version sometimes.

Do you know if there are any good brands there????

Dopod is a huge brand there. You might find some E-TEN devices floating around the place too. Then, there are also some of the lesser-known brands such as Lenovo and AnexTEK.

If you shop around, you might come across a news-stand selling a bundle of magazines. From time to time, they'll have a magazine for a couple of dollars that is dedicated to mobile devices; half the pages deal with Windows Mobile-based devices. Actually, the magazine tends to be filled with nothing but advertisements, but when it costs a couple of dollars and you get to see all the devices Hong Kong stores have to offer, I don't think it's that much of a bother.

Most consumer electronics can be found in Sham Shui Po. Conveniently, you can take the MTR (Hong Kong's rapid transit system) and travel to the Sham Shui Po station.

jayson
02-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Ok. Thank you for all those pointers!!!!!!!!!

That'll really help me! Darius Wey, i think you

are a very nice person by your attitude towards everyone.

Thank you again, for helping me sooooo much!!!!!

I think i'll be a subscriber here!!!!!!!!!

Jayson51

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Thank you again, for helping me sooooo much!!!!! I think i'll be a subscriber here!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome. Happy to help. :)

gpstoloff
02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
If you're going to Japan, the place to visit is Akhiabara (Electronics City) in Tokyo. It's just off the Yamanote subway line. There are several very large electronics "supermarkets" (like Laox) that will take credit cards, but I prefer wandering through the smaller stalls for the surprises you'll find in accessories and components (usually cash or domestic credit cards only).

Like in Sam Shui Po or Singapore, most of the products are for the local market, network carriers, and languages, but you can also find international or export versions of many products available.

Obviously, check the voltage and plug types supplied, but also verify that the warranty will be a worldwide version and that there's a version of the documentation in your native language. Personally, I always require either a shrink-wrapped box or to verify the contents before paying.

Enjoy your trips.

Constant Caffeine
02-17-2006, 04:02 PM
This is really off-topic but, you may want to find a tailor shop. When I went to Hong Kong, I bought a tuxedo from a tailor for $25; which included the shoes. Granted that was sixteen years ago, but I’m sure you would be able to pick up one for next to nothing. The good thing about going to a tailor is that they will keep your measurements on file. If you see an outfit you like in a magazine, you can cut it out and mail it to them with your customer number. They will then contact you with a quote to make it.

Have a safe journey.

jayson
02-17-2006, 04:27 PM
LOL, Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all those pointers!

I'll see if i can go to all those stores!!!!

:D :) 8) :lol: :wink: :!: :!: :mrgreen: