View Full Version : any recommendations?

crabstix
02-16-2006, 05:55 PM
I am thinking of getting a pocket pc smartphone. I need something with an ergonomically designed qwerty keyboard for fast typing on msn messenger. I also would like one with a reasonably sized screen for watching movies. I also plan to use it to download news daily to a newsreader. Which one would you recommend? Money is no object!

pocketpcadmirer
02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I need something with an ergonomically designed qwerty keyboard for fast typing on msn messenger.

HP ipaq 6900 series would be the best for this purpose. Treo 700W is nice one too for this purpose

I also would like one with a reasonably sized screen for watching movies.

Getting keyboard on board and a decent size screen will result in a mamoth device :wink: . iMATE PDA2K(HTC Blue Angel) has sliding keyboard(I dont recommend it because of 'old' OS and not-so-good keyboard(sliding))

Sunny

Sven Johannsen
02-16-2006, 09:10 PM
While you did smartphone (and there is no Pocket PC smartphone, those are two different types of device) you didn't say much about your phone needs. You did say keyboard and good screen for movies, but you didn't mention any size constraints. You said money is no object.

i-Mate Jasjar. It's a Pocket PC Phone Edition BTW. For phone use get a BT headset.

Janak Parekh
02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
One last question: where do you live and/or what network do you plan to operate the device on? That should drive your choices first.

(And, let me also throw in the HTC Apache/Wizard variants. They've got a nice screen as well as a large thumbboard.)

--janak

Patrick Y.
02-17-2006, 06:04 AM
If money and size is not a problem, iMate Jasjar should be the best device for you. It's the only VGA phone besides Sharp Zarus that's available. However, as Janak said, what network do you plan to use?

pocketpcadmirer
02-17-2006, 09:54 AM
If you want a compact phone device, forget jasjar

Sunny

crabstix
02-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Sorry I wasn't very clear about my needs. I am in Thailand and the phone network I am on is Dtac. I can easily change network to GSM if necessary

What I am after is a smartphone. I don't care too much about size. If it is big, the chances are it is more likely to have a decent sized screen with a spacious keyboard.

I am more concened about its capabilities as a pda rather than phone. I won't use it for making many calls but I do plan to use it to downloading news to my pda via gprs every day. gprs packages fairly cheap in Thailand and I like to read on the move.

I have never used a pocket pc before but I have been a loyal palm user for 4 years. I feel slightly guilty moving over to pocket pc but part of me also feels like I am making this change for the better.

I hope I have given you enough information help me make the best choice.

Thanks guys

Menneisyys
02-18-2006, 04:07 PM
What I am after is a smartphone. I don't care too much about size. If it is big, the chances are it is more likely to have a decent sized screen with a spacious keyboard.

I am more concened about its capabilities as a pda rather than phone. I won't use it for making many calls but I do plan to use it to downloading news to my pda via gprs every day. gprs packages fairly cheap in Thailand and I like to read on the move.

Do you also have EDGE (on top of GPRS) but no 3G? If yes, forget the Jasjar and go for the Wizard. EDGE is so much better than GPRS.

(BTW, I also have the Wizard. Love it.)

Menneisyys
02-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I also recommend this article (http://wiki.howardforums.com/pocketpc/index.php/Universal_and_Wizard_compared) on the subject of Universal vs Wizard - make sure you read it.

crabstix
02-20-2006, 06:11 PM
No 3G is not available here in Northern Thailand. In fact I can only get GPRS (not even EDGE) on my network.

btw thanks for the interesting link (wizard vs universal). Was really interesting to be able to compare the two devices side by side.

Menneisyys
02-20-2006, 07:02 PM
No 3G is not available here in Northern Thailand. In fact I can only get GPRS (not even EDGE) on my network.

Ask your GSM operator whether they'll introduce EDGE or 3G earlier. Unfortunately, the Universal painfully lacks EDGE support; therefore, if EDGE will be introduced earlier, go for the Wizard.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-21-2006, 01:21 AM
What I am after is a smartphone...I am more concened about its capabilities as a pda rather than phone.

In the Microsoft universe, a smartphone is a phone with PDA capabilities, a Windows Mobile/Pocket PC phone is a PDA with phone capabilities - there are differences in the OS mainly because smartphones don't have a touchscreen. As such programs have to cater for keyboard input only for smartphone versions.

crabstix
02-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks again guys for you help. Sounds like the wizard is the best choice.
I am also clearer about difference between smartphone and pocket pc with phone capabilities.