View Full Version : WiFi Pocket PC to Pocket PC Phone?

Highrad
02-16-2006, 04:56 AM
Looking for software (other than $$$$ Avaya) for a simple Pocket PC to Pocket PC voice communications on an office WIFI network. Communications do not need to leave the network via the internet and cannot require a internet connection.

Any ideas?? Thanks!!

Menneisyys
02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Looking for software (other than $$$$ Avaya) for a simple Pocket PC to Pocket PC voice communications on an office WIFI network. Communications do not need to leave the network via the internet and cannot require a internet connection.

Any ideas?? Thanks!!

Welcome to PPCT :)

There're numerous Internet-less, LAN-based (with local IP's) phoning solutions; for example, MS Portrait. I heartily recommend it - it's free.

Highrad
02-17-2006, 02:12 PM
There're numerous Internet-less, LAN-based (with local IP's) phoning solutions; for example, MS Portrait. I heartily recommend it - it's free.

Thanks for your reply Menneisyys!

I tried MS Portrait about 2-3 years ago and thought it was OK for demonstrating the technology but I need something a little more robust that can be used commercially. I look for this application every few months and all I can come up with is Skype and all of the other knock-off Skype applications that require an internet connection. Skype would work if it did not require an internet connection.

I don’t need the big dollar Avaya solution for their softphone.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!!

Menneisyys
02-17-2006, 02:37 PM

Thanks for your reply Menneisyys!

I tried MS Portrait about 2-3 years ago and thought it was OK for demonstrating the technology but I need something a little more robust that can be used commercially. I look for this application every few months and all I can come up with is Skype and all of the other knock-off Skype applications that require an internet connection. Skype would work if it did not require an internet connection.

I don’t need the big dollar Avaya solution for their softphone.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!!

Do you want an "online" directory service like that of Skype?

Highrad
02-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Do you want an "online" directory service like that of Skype?

If there is a directory on our local intranet sever that would be fine.