View Full Version : Random Screen Alignment Chit-Chat

Pdaholic
02-15-2006, 04:01 AM
Have you considered a hard-reset?

If he's in the alignment screen, it's likely he actually did do a hard reset.

On the English roms, after the alignment screen comes an annoying demo of the cut-and-paste functions of the device. Try tapping and holding on any text you get after doing the cross-hair thing, and see if you get anywhere.

Darius Wey
02-15-2006, 04:33 AM
If he's in the alignment screen, it's likely he actually did do a hard reset.

That's not always the case. You can initiate the alignment screen without performing a hard-reset.

On the English roms, after the alignment screen comes an annoying demo of the cut-and-paste functions of the device. Try tapping and holding on any text you get after doing the cross-hair thing, and see if you get anywhere.

The problem is, he/she can't even get past the alignment screen to start playing around with the cut-and-paste demo.

Pdaholic
02-15-2006, 04:45 AM
That's not always the case. You can initiate the alignment screen without performing a hard-reset.

Agreed, Darius, but read the middle of Dasha's first post. He "reset it completely," got what sounds like a "Microsoft Windows" splash screen, and then got the cross hair. Sounds an awful lot like a hard reset to me!

The problem is, he/she can't even get past the alignment screen to start playing around with the cut-and-paste demo.

I'm just throwing out suggestions--anything is worth a try!

Darius Wey
02-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Agreed, Darius, but read the middle of Dasha's first post. He "reset it completely," got what sounds like a "Microsoft Windows" splash screen, and then got the cross hair. Sounds an awful lot like a hard reset to me!

That's true. But do note that a lot of today's Pocket PCs display that "Microsoft Windows" splash screen even after a soft-reset. And on rare occasions, a follow-on alignment screen can present itself if the device's screen is severely out of alignment.

But, now that I've read the original post twice, it does sound like a hard-reset took place. We'll find out, eventually. ;)

Pdaholic
02-15-2006, 05:23 AM
But do note that a lot of today's Pocket PCs display that "Microsoft Windows" splash screen even after a soft-reset

Not that it really matters, but most of my new PDAs (yeah, I've got a problem, I own too many PDAs) show the Microsoft splash screen on the original startup or on hard reset. The plain-ole soft resets show the manufacturer's splash screen only (again, I'm only describing my pdas). The only reason why I know this stuff is because I've done so many, many rom upgrades to my devices, trying to get a stable OS.

Anyhow, Dasha says it's his friend's "old" PDA, so I was betting on it *not* being one of the newer models.

Darius Wey
02-15-2006, 05:30 AM
Not that it really matters, but most of my new PDAs (yeah, I've got a problem, I own too many PDAs) show the Microsoft splash screen on the original startup or on hard reset. The plain-ole soft resets show the manufacturer's splash screen only (again, I'm only describing my pdas).

Yeah, that's an OEM customisation. IIRC, my Axim X50v shows the Dell screen. My E-TEN M600, though, displays both the E-TEN and Windows Mobile splash screen (one after the other). The default Windows Mobile 5.0 image (uncustomised) will also display the Windows Mobile splash screen. In fact, it's something you'll see more on the Windows Mobile 5.0 devices than the Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003 ones.

Pdaholic
02-15-2006, 05:40 AM
The default Windows Mobile 5.0 image (uncustomised) will also display the Windows Mobile splash screen. In fact, it's something you'll see more on the Windows Mobile 5.0 devices than the Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003 ones.

That's curious, because none of my "uncustomised" HTC based devices with WM5.0 show the windows mobile splash screen except on hard reset, no matter which OEM ROM I'm using. It's a good thing, because they already take too long to boot after a soft reset to begin with!

Darius Wey
02-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Posts split from here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46469)

- DW

Darius Wey
02-15-2006, 05:55 AM
It's a good thing, because they already take too long to boot after a soft reset to begin with!

I'm sure it's the same. Your OEM screen probably persists as long as my OEM and Windows Mobile screens combined. Boot-times will inevitably be long, always. :P