View Full Version : ipaq 3955, quick question

jeps1lon
02-15-2006, 04:13 AM
I just got this ipaq 3955 off of ebay. I'd like to see if anyone can help me figure out what exactly I need to get this baby on the internet, I mean, so I can use internet through this pocket pc, without the cradle and such.

Thank you.

bmhome1
02-15-2006, 04:36 AM
You will need both a CF add-on sleeve and either a CF modem card or wireless CF adaptor card. None are very popular anymore and easier to find used.

Be absolutely certain the exact model CF card is PC2002 supported or it will never work. Also, be aware that these CF cards are exceptionally power hungry and a CF sleeve with built-in secondary battery is very good to have too.

Janak Parekh
02-15-2006, 06:01 AM
You will need both a CF add-on sleeve and either a CF modem card or wireless CF adaptor card. None are very popular anymore and easier to find used.
I believe the 3950 with a sufficiently recent ROM has SDIO support, so a SD WiFi card, such as the Spectec or Sandisk ones should work, as long as a driver is available for the appropriate operating system -- and that's a more compact solution.

jeps1lon - what OS is installed on the device? If you're not sure, tell us the version number in About and we can try and figure it out.

--janak

jeps1lon
02-15-2006, 09:30 AM
I think I just upgraded to Windows Mobile 2003, or Pocket PC 2003, it came on a compaq cd.

The version number in "about" is.."Version 4.20.1081 (Build 13100)"

Am I right?

So, let me get this straight, I need a CF add-on sleeve AND a cf wireless adaptor card?

Or I could look for a sd wireless card?

What do you guys recommend? And where would it be best to find such accessories, if you guys happen to know.

I was planning on taking advantage of my dad's wireless internet connection, and also, the wireless internet connection at my university's library.

pocketpcadmirer
02-15-2006, 09:49 AM
SD wi-fi card is the way to go. It small and compact and requires no add-on sleeve. Prices of such cards have fallen dramatically too

Sunny

jeps1lon
02-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Can you guide me to a place where I can get one.

Also, if I use a sd wifi card, will I be able to use the Sd memory card?

Or is it only possibel to use one at a time?

Constant Caffeine
02-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Can you guide me to a place where I can get one.

Also, if I use a sd wifi card, will I be able to use the Sd memory card?

Or is it only possibel to use one at a time?

I found a couple different places that sell them. I have not seen a secure digital card with memory and wifi together. If you used the add-on sleeve that would free up the SD slot or visa versa.

Compusa has them for $77.99:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50646929&pfp=BROWSE

Ebay has them for around $55. I did a search for “secure digital wifi”.

Mobile Planet has them for $47.95 before shipping.

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=124187

Hope this helps.

bmhome1
02-16-2006, 02:56 AM
I forgot about the SD WiFi card option, but that would be a deal killer for me since I always kept as many applications on SD to have as much RAM free as possible.

I do have to say having had both CF modem and high-end Symbol CF WiFi cards for my 3955 I never had very good results in actual use with constant problems recognizing the cards when launching web connections. Maybe the sleeves were involved, I gave up trying after awhile.

My new/used 5550 however is a joy to use for Wifi and never gives me problems in connecting to web ever.

jeps1lon
02-16-2006, 07:21 AM
thanks a bunch, guys

Janak Parekh
02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
I found a couple different places that sell them. I have not seen a secure digital card with memory and wifi together. If you used the add-on sleeve that would free up the SD slot or visa versa.
Sandisk had (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J46ZO/002-7724214-0855243?v=glance&n=172282) a 256MB+WiFi SD card, but it looks like it's been discontinued. :(

I think I just upgraded to Windows Mobile 2003, or Pocket PC 2003, it came on a compaq cd. The version number in "about" is.."Version 4.20.1081 (Build 13100)" Am I right?
Yes, you are. I also believe the WM2003 update has SDIO support built right in.

--janak