View Full Version : Please help - Uninstalling, Faulty Installations and Hard Reset Issues

TheEconomist
02-08-2006, 08:25 PM
There are things that I never understood since I have a PocketPC (Qtek 9000). They made it to work like a PC (with a ROM (standing for HDD) and a seperate RAM)
* So, when I uninstall an application (a special one, like those in Windows Startup), I get it telling me that the application is not completely uninstalled (or something like that) followed by: "Do you want to remove it from the list ?" What the hack do I have to do ? The app remains partially in Win Mobile and there's no way to remove it (especially from the registry)
* A few weeks ago I installed an app, ProTrader. It was a faulty installation. After a reset, it kept telling me that the shortcut is invalid. If I closed the window, the ppc freezed. Luckily, I reinstalled well the damn thing and the error disappeared.
* Do you know that my ppc crashes if after a reset is in the "flight mode" (GSM off) ? However, If I tap the Start icon or another one on the bar right after I enter the PIN code (and I mean "very fast") I avoid it from crashing.
* And finally - What the hack is all about this "Hard reset" ? If I touch the hard reset - it's just like a reboot. Nothing happens. Windows restarts, and it's just it. No storage cleanup, nothing happens with Windows. How could it return to the "factory configuration" since the Windows folder and the registry are modified. Does the ppc have a secret chip inside with a fresh Win Mobile on it? How could I manually reinstall Windows ?

Janak Parekh
02-08-2006, 10:45 PM
* So, when I uninstall an application (a special one, like those in Windows Startup), I get it telling me that the application is not completely uninstalled (or something like that) followed by: "Do you want to remove it from the list ?" What the hack do I have to do ? The app remains partially in Win Mobile and there's no way to remove it (especially from the registry)
This seems to happen to a number of different WM5 devices. The most reliable way to complete the uninstall in this case seems to be to say "No", soft-reset, and then retry the uninstall. It appears that files or directories occasionally get locked otherwise. Yes, this is very annoying and shouldn't happen.

* Do you know that my ppc crashes if after a reset is in the "flight mode" (GSM off) ? However, If I tap the Start icon or another one on the bar right after I enter the PIN code (and I mean "very fast") I avoid it from crashing.
8O I wasn't using a Jasjar with a PIN lock, so I don't know about this, but that's kind of weird. It's possible a third-party app is interfering, perhaps? You might want to search a few forums about this and see if anyone else has replicated it.

* And finally - What the hack is all about this "Hard reset" ? If I touch the hard reset - it's just like a reboot. Nothing happens. Windows restarts, and it's just it. No storage cleanup, nothing happens with Windows. How could it return to the "factory configuration" since the Windows folder and the registry are modified. Does the ppc have a secret chip inside with a fresh Win Mobile on it? How could I manually reinstall Windows ?
That's because by pressing the button, you're not hard resetting, but rather soft resetting. A hard reset removes all storage except for the original OS installed in ROM, so while it's like reinstalling, it's more accurate to say you're erasing everything but the base OS. (Basically, the OS is stored in a separate part of ROM, which makes it easy to delete all of the user customizations to the device.) To hard reset a Universal, press and hold both soft keys down and press the reset button. You'll get a prompt on the screen -- follow the instructions. Make sure you've sync'ed or backed up first!

--janak

TheEconomist
02-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Thank you Janak for explaining me these things. I didn't knew about the hard reset because I have a hard reset app (from www.freewareppc.com) that does only soft reset (And I said to myself - this is like what the button does - guess this is hard reset). What still gives me the freaks is that many times it shuts down without warning me. I just find it stopped. If I touch the On button, the screen lights up (remains white), the both phone button leds light up, and it remains like this. I noticed that it hasn't anything to do with the battery, but with the storage. Probably when it's below 5 Mb. This is just a guess. I don't know why does this. Today I couldn't get up because it shut down during night time! Are there users that reported this ? Could anything be done?

P.S. I can't get phone calls during GPRS. You know any source code to shut down GPRS when there's an incoming call ?

Menneisyys
02-12-2006, 10:08 AM
So, when I uninstall an application (a special one, like those in Windows Startup), I get it telling me that the application is not completely uninstalled (or something like that) followed by: "Do you want to remove it from the list ?" What the hack do I have to do ? The app remains partially in Win Mobile and there's no way to remove it (especially from the registry)

It's already been removed from the Registry (at least, those registry keys/values are removed that are set at install-time, not at runtime, unless the app has a specific uninstaller DLL) and the file system. That is, you don't need to e afraid of the Registry being polluted.

What you see is simply some additional files in the home directory of the given app - config files, cache files. These are very common with all kinds of programs. You can very easily get rid of these: just get a file explorer tool and delete these directories by hand. It'll fix everything and get rid of everything.

Janak Parekh
02-14-2006, 11:38 PM
What still gives me the freaks is that many times it shuts down without warning me. I just find it stopped. If I touch the On button, the screen lights up (remains white), the both phone button leds light up, and it remains like this. I noticed that it hasn't anything to do with the battery, but with the storage. Probably when it's below 5 Mb. This is just a guess. I don't know why does this.
Hmm. I haven't had this problem with my Jasjar, but I haven't dragged the free memory down to 5MB. I have ran my Treo 700w's free RAM down to under 2MB without problems. The first thing to do, after you've backed up, is to hard reset and see if you can simulate the problem without the custom apps you've got installed. There is a possibility it's a software conflict or a hardware problem.

P.S. I can't get phone calls during GPRS. You know any source code to shut down GPRS when there's an incoming call ?
GPRS should automatically go idle and allow calls, unless you have a program that's keeping it active.

--janak