View Full Version : switching : ultrasoft money

scott451
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
hi,

i am tired of waiting for palm to get modern devices out on the market and will soon be switching to a ms device.

the application i can absolutely not live without is ultrasoft money. this tool allows me to perfectly synchronize my palm with my home computer. it really has it all : filters on accounts and transactions, memorized transactions, reconciliation, etc...

i have seen the microsoft proposes a pocket pc version of their ms money program. has anyone seen it, used it - is it any good ?

thanks in advance,

scott

ps : how important is processer speed. is it worth looking into a device like the xda atom over a htc prophet ?

christheswiss
02-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi Scott,

Microsoft Money for the pocket pc is very limited. Do yourself a favor and try Cash Organizer by http://www.inesoft.com

You will be able to do what you are asking for and then some...
You will need to purchase an additional module for synchronization with either Money or Quicken. I have been using it with MS Money on my desktop and it synchronizes flawlessly and fast. You will not be dissappointed !

Jason Dunn
02-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Other software to consider:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/finance/?en

http://www.mastersoftmobilesolutions.com/money_ppc.php

scott451
02-08-2006, 12:08 AM
hi chriss,

thanks for the speedy reply. your reponse is right-on, cash organizer looks great !

do i need to have a powerful processor to make it run well ?

scott

ps : aviation !

christheswiss
02-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Hi Scott,

I run cash organizer on my old trusty IPAQ1940, it's what I consider perky, except when you want to display a complicated query, even then it is more then acceptable. Also, since it is somewhat of large program, I run it from my SD card without any problems. Good Luck :D

PS: yes, aviation is first....

Ummagumma
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm posting a bit late but hope this info will still be useful to someone.

I tried all finance applications I could find and ended up with Cash Organizer.

Here's what I used or tried:

- MS Money for PPC - great if all you want is to enter day to day transaction to sync to the desktop. Flawless syncing. Not much beyond entry capability - no reports, no features other than plain record entry. Don't want to have more than 6 mos of record in it or it will be sloooow. No data encryption so you better not keep any sensitive data in it, like account #s and access passwords in account note field. Free. Reliable. I've used it for 2 years.

- Mastersoft Money - last time I looked at it had an awkward interface, no real syncing ability (just QIF import/export), features seemed to be more or less on par with others.

- Cash Organizer - imho the best. Flawless sync to MS Money, speed isn't affected by keeping 7,000 records for the last 13 years in it. Nice reporting & forecasting ability. Used to be sort of pricey but dropped to $25 when I bought it. The biggest deal maker for me, other than a rich feature set, was the sync engine that's very robust & never gave me a problem. On the downside, they seem to have done away with user forum (a pity since it's often the best source of helpful information), and developers leave my emails unanswered for weeks. (I don't know how they approach customer service issues, mine were mostly questions and feature suggestions). Waiting for the upcoming new release that they said would be a free upgrade for me.

- SPB Finance - seems like it's feature set would rival that of Cash Organizer. Too bad it wouldn't sync reliably after second attempt to sync, getting stuck after 3000+ transactions. Developers tried their best to help but nothing came out of it. They suggested the problem was with my MS Money file & it very well may have been the case, but neither desktop Money nor Cash Organizer gave me any problems with it, only SPB Finance had a hickup. I tried it several times over the last couple of releases hoping that they've fixed the issue. I finally stopped trying as I wouldn't even think of using the program if I can't trust the sync engine to keep my data safe. Your mileage may vary.

WebIS money - a nice standalone package but no sync engine. QIF import seems buggy. For 1/2 the price of SPB or CO gives you 1/2 of functionality.

AceMoney - an interesting package in that it has its own desktop application and seems to be the only one to allow syncing investment transactions between two. (MS Money can show you the totals of your stocks but no details, and the rest are pretty much investment ignorant). However its desktop wasn't much to brag about, imho.

applejosh
07-24-2006, 03:47 PM
- SPB Finance - seems like it's feature set would rival that of Cash Organizer. Too bad it wouldn't sync reliably after second attempt to sync, getting stuck after 3000+ transactions.

I don't think I have 3000+ transactions, but my experience was just the opposite. SPB Finance installed and sync'd flawlessly. I had a heck of a time getting CO installed, and after that it didn't sync anyway. I really tried to get CO to work (installing, uninstalling, re-installing, over and over) based on the positive reviews I read here and on Aximsite, but in the end, SPB worked right "out of the box" without issue, so I went with that.

Ummagumma
07-27-2006, 03:24 AM
- SPB Finance - seems like it's feature set would rival that of Cash Organizer. Too bad it wouldn't sync reliably after second attempt to sync, getting stuck after 3000+ transactions.

I don't think I have 3000+ transactions, but my experience was just the opposite. SPB Finance installed and sync'd flawlessly. I had a heck of a time getting CO installed, and after that it didn't sync anyway. I really tried to get CO to work (installing, uninstalling, re-installing, over and over) based on the positive reviews I read here and on Aximsite, but in the end, SPB worked right "out of the box" without issue, so I went with that.

I guess that's why both of them are still in business. :lol: It's nice to have a choice.