View Full Version : HX 4700….A head of its time…so much so, HP had to rollback time!

scarletknight96
02-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I have had this unit, from the very beginning. Approximately two weeks, before it was shipped out to the public. Unfortunately, this masterpiece of a tech-toy was stolen, from someone close and never returned, again. I know this baby, like it was my child. When I say, it was ahead of its time, I know this seems outlandish. The goodies this unit had going for it was unthinkable. I mean, a 624 CPU, 4 inch VGA screen, titanium alloy shell, a touchpad, for God sake…to speak of only a few features no other PDA will have for the next couple of years. There was and it is no PDA on the market that can match the creative genius of this baby.

Here is the irony…when I had…I did not know how to appreciate it [that’s what she told, before she started doing her dirt(-:], cause I automatically thought HP or other industry leaders would advance this baby, the next production cycle of upcoming PDAs. Almost two years, the HX 4700 is still the “KING KONG” and ruler of its domain…so much so, HP became frighten of its own creation (ala Frankenstein).

After my baby was stolen, I feverishly began research on its replacement. There was no mention of that data. Then I went outside of HP to see if other companies would copy the innovation of the 4700-to no avail. Then a couple of weeks back, I discovered of a unit that was somewhat comparable to the 4700 and it too was from HP. This is the one I ended purchasing. This little brother to the 4700 was the ipaq hx 2795.

It was and is more of a jaguar than a gorilla. It’s fast and innovative, but it did not catch the tech industry on its heels, as did the innovativeness of the 4700. With the exception of a 4 inch VGA screen, a titanium body, touch pad cursor, it pretty much the rebirth of the 4700, with little to no advancement in technology. This is almost two latter, after the 4700 came out and it did not one-up the 4700 in any area, with the exception of it being smaller.

Here’s what’s weird, in a question form, why didn’t HP capitalize on beefing-up what was a masterpiece? Anyways, thank you for viewing my opinion of this unit being a unique and innovative device.

By the way, provide me with feedback on my assertion. I would like to know if its just me, who thinks the world of the HX 4700? I currently have the 2795. Had it had a VGA screen, it would have been in the same zip code of the 4700!

One more thing, as of yesterday, HP re-customized its website. I called the business group and they confirmed that the HP HX 2795 is this years successor to the 4700.

Janak Parekh
02-07-2006, 09:57 PM
By the way, provide me with feedback on my assertion. I would like to know if its just me, who thinks the world of the HX 4700? I currently have the 2795. Had it had a VGA screen, it would have been in the same zip code of the 4700!
When the 4700 came out, to me, it was the successor to the Toshiba e805/e830 -- high-end in pretty much every metric (excepting, perhaps, RAM). However, as with many other things in their lineup, I think HP has bungled their Pocket PC strategy. The 2795 is a nice unit, but it's not a comparable high-end to the hx4700. But at this point I've given up trying to figure out why HP does what it does -- and I haven't owned an iPAQ since my 3870 back in the good old Compaq days.

(Man, I never thought I'd call Compaq's efforts as part of the good old days, after my delicate and dusty 3650... 8O)

--janak

scarletknight96
02-08-2006, 01:14 AM
HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

nobody
02-08-2006, 07:38 PM
HX4700 is THE high end unit. I have yet to find a better unit. Can't go back to anything smaller than 4 inch VGA screen now. Metal case is great. Touchpad is just fine. Give it a very smooth overall look. The only thing I can hope for (albeit minor) are USB host and plug and a power adapter plug.

DrQuincy
02-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Howdy!

In browsing another thread here, I travelled to a link that offers a 5000mAh battery for the iPAQ hx4700 / hx4705 / hx4715 SERIES & hx4800 SERIES PPC's. Is the hx4715 available? And is the hx4800 series a rumor or a replacement for the hx4700? Just curious...

davwil
02-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Howdy!

In browsing another thread here, I travelled to a link that offers a 5000mAh battery for the iPAQ hx4700 / hx4705 / hx4715 SERIES & hx4800 SERIES PPC's. Is the hx4715 available? And is the hx4800 series a rumor or a replacement for the hx4700? Just curious...

I reckon the hx4800 and 4715 are typos... :wink:

Cheers David

archangel8
02-18-2006, 04:54 AM
i miss my hx4700. i just recently sunt it back to HP to have it diagnosed. i knew it was the motherboard.but they also said it was the reset button needed replacing.

they want to charge me $290. for the repairs. i'll just wait til they come out w/ a better ipaq w/ a big display and everything else or get a pocket pc phone.

tell me if anyone knows is HP going to have new Ipaqs for 2006?

Ripper014
02-18-2006, 06:59 PM
I have to disagree with the statement about Hp being an innovator... as was mentioned earlier Toshiba had their 800/830 models out much sooner and were much more innovative.

I have alway felt that the movers and shakers in the mobile market were Sony for Palm OS and Casio/Toshiba for PocketPC... not that Toshiba ever got it perfect... but they took the risks and pushed the envelope with each model they made. Hp just came in behind with better marketing to capture the North American consumer. Though the Hp4700 is a good unit, it is still not my favorite and I would still prefer the Loox 720. I myself am using a Toshiba e830 which more than serves my current needs.

Other than the touchpad that is questionable... there is nothing that is on the Hp4700 that is not available on another unit. And having said that... no one has jumped on that bandwagon since its arrival. I myself would rather not have it on my device... and it seems that is the concensus of most users and manufacturers. If it was a popular feature I am sure you would have seen many more devices sporting them (a gimmick that failed).

Without a leader to follow... it seems that Hp is going back to what has worked for them in the past. Unfortunately someone needs to tell them that going retro in a high-tech industry is death. Unlike a Mustang or a PT Cruiser... and though I do have fond memories of my first PocketPC's I don't want one as my new everyday device.

acetuk
02-20-2006, 05:53 AM
I loved my hx4705, being one of the first few into the UK. The screen was lovely and the case really a good idea.

Until recently I used nothing but HP devices. An original Jornada, an iPaq 2210 and finally the hx4705.

But it wasn't the devices that killed my love affair with HP. It was the unforgivable way they have acted towards their customers with regard to upgrades. I just didn't want to trust them with my money again. Had WM5 been released for the 2210 I would probably not bought the 4705.

I've just sold my hx4705 and with the money bought a Universal. I don't see any HP purchases in my future.

prototype
03-06-2006, 07:25 PM
I got an HP catalog the other day and was very suprised to find no 4700 in it. I still have my 4155, but my main PPC is a Dell Axim now ... so I haven't been following HP/IPAQ line.

When did the 4700 get discontinued? Before deciding on the Axim I did buy and test out the 4700. I thought it was excellent ... except for the touch pad ... which I never got adjusted to.

So HP has no VGA Pocket PC currently?

Darius Wey
03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
When did the 4700 get discontinued?

A few months ago.

HP is currently in that 'transition' zone where they're preparing to roll out the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade for the hx4700, and perhaps release a slightly updated hx4700 variant with Windows Mobile 5.0. Of course, the latter is still open to question. I don't really get what HP is doing these days.

Sculpher
03-08-2006, 05:32 PM
I bit the bullet and bought myself a second 4700 (they're freely available in the UK) - as a spare in storage for when my old chum eventually wears out. HP's PDA range have gone off the deep end (chunky, heavy, slab sided QVGA machines with rubber edges? I mean....) Reports tell us the PDA arm of HP has been merged with their notebook developers. What THAT means still remains to be seen.

Darius Wey
03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Reports tell us the PDA arm of HP has been merged with their notebook developers. What THAT means still remains to be seen.

They've actually separated, rather than merged: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46416

Kowalski
03-08-2006, 05:56 PM
4700 can not be called the best device ever, sure it has the best casing i have ever seen and the lovely screen is awesome, but there are some stability issues which are very annoying.
all these discussions depend on the priorities. stability and size are my first priorities so i still think 4150 is the best device for me.

lesterm
03-15-2006, 01:18 AM
4700 can not be called the best device ever... there are some stability issues which are very annoying.

Crikey. This is my 2nd provocative post tonight - what the hell is my problem tonight..?!

Anyway - what stability issues? My hx has been rock solid for the last year or so - more so than any other device I've had (ok, not many and mainly PalmOS!).

I know the temptation is to defend whatever 'thing' you own that is being critised - this isn't that at all (honest). Just wanted to ask what stability issues you have/had - it might be a sw thing..?

apache
04-11-2006, 10:41 PM
After having used the Psionmx5 for several years, I had switched to 3x90series twice, the 5450 and 5550 and finally - a dream came true. The 4700 had everyting I ever had on my wish list. I think I can save us from the details since we all know them. Last year, my wife and I got robbed and we lost two 4700's which we replaced immediately. I can't believe this one is discontinued and comparing to the VGA models on the market, there only is the Toshiba left with 4" screen size.

It must have been the touch pad which broke its neck plus - as sb else posted - the engineering & production cost must have been high. Anyway, I can't relate to the problem people face with the touch pad. It is the most advanced solution ever, even features some sort of a "scroll-wheel"replacement with the navigation function.

This one is the best ever, and like Sculpher, I have even bought five now, for whatever may happen. Btw, check out www.synaptics.com, there will be more to come as for advanced touchpad solutions, even for mobile phones.

OH, and as for WM5 - I will never upgrade. It will only slow down and I don't need e-mail client on a PDA. when you receive 200 per day, it's no fun to manage/read/reply on a PDA. Just check with the secretary! But I guess then the individual profiles kick in. I love pdf and ppt as well as excel files on the hx4700 and will never allow viruses. Hence, I will never go hybrid. Synchronizing via the phone or hotspots is still safe and will keep my PDA from getting poisoned.

Since we will most likely not see anything like a 4" VGA/touch pad/monster setup PdA soon, I can happily live with what I got!!! And as for hp support: just download all the most recent drivers / updates and keep them. This is one of the few machines which works flawlessly so you will be fine (should snafu kick in) to just restore the old setup!

wylekyote
06-28-2006, 04:57 AM
I too started with my first handheld as a Jornada 568, but when I saw the 4700 and held it in my hand (wringing fingers)... it was love at first sight. :wink: It stole my heart; I don't leave home without it. I have a lot of programs I use and several open at the same time, I bought the extended battery for it because I can wear it down in a day. 8O

My wife has since stolen :roll: my Jornada 568 and uses it for managing her Mary Kay business. Once in a while I take the ol' cadillac out for a ride, but I tell ya, my Rolls is my choice for work.

I buy accessories for my 4700 as I see fit (price watcher) :) , there are things showing up in the market for the 4700, therefore I would say someone else recognizes it for what it is too... I agree; it was before its time, just like the 568 was during its inception. :(

I am here to tell you, hp did it right with this jewel... :D I also like the touchpad mouse/scroller, if you aren't used to it, it can be a bit of a challenge, but once you learn it and use, you just don't thik about it any longer. 8)

Granite, we all have an opinion of what suits our fancies; that is why my mother-in-law says, "That's why we have chocolate and Strawberry." I don't see hp completely turning their back on the 4700. I have sent mine back to hp once and that was for an upgrade (not WM5), but this thing is awesome! Simply Awesome!! Maybe its not the "best" device yet, but then again, I haven't used anything "better" yet either.

[stepping down off my soapbox] for what its worth, thats my 2 cents worth. I'll send the bill to hp for the advertisment I just did for them. Good day! :|

yildi
06-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Anyway - what stability issues? My hx has been rock solid for the last year or so - more so than any other device I've had (ok, not many and mainly PalmOS!).

I know the temptation is to defend whatever 'thing' you own that is being critised - this isn't that at all (honest). Just wanted to ask what stability issues you have/had - it might be a sw thing..?

I am a 4700 owner and have been using it for more than one year. I love its esthetics but I have strong stability issues with it and I am not the only one (check the ipaqHQ forums). It effectively seems that there is two sets of 4700 users: one with rock solid ipaq and others used to random and even frequent soft resets (especially when the weather is hot, or the unit is used while charging).
I would have loved to be in the first category but I am in the second :(

disconnected
06-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I also have a 4700. It has been very stable, but just in the last few months that seems to be changing. I always carried a spare battery, but now whenever I try to change the battery it does a hard reset. It's also completely frozen a couple of times for no apparent reason -- wouldn't soft reset so I had to do a hard reset. The other day, bluetooth wouldn't turn on -- asked for a bluetooth card to be inserted! Fortunately, a soft reset fixed it.

I'm thinking I need to buy a new one for a spare, since there doesn't seem to be anything new with all the same features (converged or not), but I don't know where to even find a new one (not refurbished) anymore.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-29-2006, 01:03 AM
I always carried a spare battery, but now whenever I try to change the battery it does a hard reset.

Sounds like your backup battery is dead - it's NiMH, not LiIon like the main battery, and has a rather limited lifespan.