View Full Version : 2200 series - fix DPad?

paschott
02-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Is it possible to repair the DPad on an iPaq 2200 series. I just replaced the sidegrips and battery cover - first time after the couple of years I've had it. The DPad is kind of loose - doesn't really work for my main purpose which is reading books. I can get by with the screen, but this means that a lot of games are right out on the device because the pad doesn't work.

Anyone had experience in fixing or tightening the pads? I've seen the complaints, but never the solutions.

I know - I need a new device, but that's a lot harder to justify than a (hopefully) cheap fix for a very usable PDA.

Thanks in advance.

-Pete Schott

Nurhisham Hussein
02-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I suppose you can try replacing it:

link (http://www.services.foxconn.com/store/Product.asp?relatenum=0&Category.Id={44E8EFC1-4305-41E0-9E21-FEE7EFA7921F}&Product.Id={D7501648-15B1-4B02-AD3E-C21B2FA21001})

paschott
02-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Looks like PPC Techs sells a part as well - more expensive up front, but no $25 handling fee for orders under $50 from what I can see. What's up with that?

Oh well, I'll see what I can do. I just found out that the reason my pad is so loose is that one of the sides is missing and another side is loose, making the pad really wobbly. It will sometimes do a direction, but not reliably. Not a huge deal, but it's nice when it works. As noted, it lasted for 2-3 years with no issues. Just wish I could justify one of the WM 5.0 units right now.

Thanks for the pointer - I didn't realize that they were for sale and that it was just a matter of popping it out and replacing it.

-Pete

Nurhisham Hussein
02-07-2006, 05:18 PM
No probs, glad to help.

I suspect foxconn's pricing is because they are primarily a wholesaler rather than a retailer.