View Full Version : Which Pocket PC ?

LPC
02-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi all, lovely web site that I've been visiting for a long long time. Now I have a question that I hope some genius here has the answer to :).

I need a new PocketPC and I don't know which one to go for ! I currently have an O2 XDA Exec (iMate JASJAR) but am a little sick of the brick like size of the thing ! I also never ever use the keyboard on it so that bits a complete waste of space and weight. I do love the big screen and the 640x480 screen res is lovely.

Now I need a Pocket PC for my day to day work life and would love something with the following -
--> VGA screen
--> Loads of RAM
--> SD card slot
--> Compact size
--> Bluetooth is a must
--> WiFi would be nice
--> Possibly with all the phone stuff built in.

What I don't want / care about -
--> Keyboard
--> Camera

Any ideas oh pocket PC gurus ? And a thank you in advance.

LPC
02-06-2006, 10:24 PM
OMG ... look at the i-mate PDA-N GPS Pocket PC ... I love the look just ordered it :).

pocketpcadmirer
02-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Let me make it clear first, there is currently no pocket pc phone edition sporting VGA screen(expect Jasjar).
Though there are 3-4 pocket pc with VGA displays,but, only 1 has the latest ie Windows Mobile 5 OS. It is Dell X51V.

HP, on the other hand, has a device with really beautiful VGA display hx4700, whose WM5 upgrade will be released this March. Currently,it runs 2003 SE.

Both of these devices DON't have phone built-in. Though they have all other features on your list. hx4700 is not that compact though :wink:

On the phone edition sides, there are plently of devices that will suit your needs, but, again there are no vga devices.

Take a look at Imate K-Jam(HTC Wizard). Very good and stable device. BT and Wi-Fi built-in too. Imate JAmin is nice one too,but, I prefer k-jam for its slide-in keyboard

Sunny

Menneisyys
02-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi all, lovely web site that I've been visiting for a long long time. Now I have a question that I hope some genius here has the answer to :).

I need a new PocketPC and I don't know which one to go for ! I currently have an O2 XDA Exec (iMate JASJAR) but am a little sick of the brick like size of the thing ! I also never ever use the keyboard on it so that bits a complete waste of space and weight. I do love the big screen and the 640x480 screen res is lovely.

Now I need a Pocket PC for my day to day work life and would love something with the following -
--> VGA screen
--> Loads of RAM
--> SD card slot
--> Compact size
--> Bluetooth is a must
--> WiFi would be nice

--> Keyboard
--> Camera

You won't find any WM5 device with "loads of RAM", if you meant 128M RAM. All WM5 PDA's are 64M (of which, in general, around 30M is usable - at least the WM5 VGA devices I know this information of - the x51v and the JasJar).

I'd wait for the N560 or would get the x51v. Also, get a separate phone, depending on your mobile data communication needs. For example, if your GSM operator offers EDGE, get an EDGE-enabled one; if not, get a cheap GPRS BT phone like a t610.

(BTW, I also love my k-jam. Lovely little device. But it's QVGA only.)

Cybrid
02-10-2006, 12:30 AM

--> VGA screen
--> Loads of RAM
--> SD card slot
--> Compact size
--> Bluetooth is a must
--> WiFi would be nice

--> Keyboard
--> Camera

You won't find any WM5 device with "loads of RAM", if you meant 128M RAM. All WM5 PDA's are 64M (of which, in general, around 30M is usable - at least the WM5 VGA devices I know this information of - the x51v and the JasJar).

I'd wait for the N560 or would get the x51v. Also, get a separate phone, depending on your mobile data communication needs. For example, if your GSM operator offers EDGE, get an EDGE-enabled one; if not, get a cheap GPRS BT phone like a t610.

(BTW, I also love my k-jam. Lovely little device. But it's QVGA only.)
On the whole Ditto! however I'd vote for a EVDO phone if available instead. Much faster!

1xRTT or single carrier (1x) radio transmission technology, 1xRTT is also referred to as CDMA2000 1x, is a 3G technologie based upon CDMA with speed upto 144 Kbs (like ISDN)

cdma2000 1xEV, the next step, will allow for up to 2.4 Mbps data transfer rates (1xEV-DO, data only) and 4.8 Mbps in phase 2 (1xEV-DV, data and voice).
If you compare with GSM technologies, you've got
GPRS: up to 180 kbs
EDGE: up to 235 kbs
WCDMA: up to 10.8 Mbps
HSDPA: up to 25 Mbps

Patrick Y.
02-10-2006, 05:25 AM
Let me make it clear first, there is currently no pocket pc phone edition sporting VGA screen(expect Jasjar).
Though there are 3-4 pocket pc with VGA displays,but, only 1 has the latest ie Windows Mobile 5 OS. It is Dell X51V.

HP, on the other hand, has a device with really beautiful VGA display hx4700, whose WM5 upgrade will be released this March. Currently,it runs 2003 SE.

Both of these devices DON't have phone built-in. Though they have all other features on your list. hx4700 is not that compact though :wink:

On the phone edition sides, there are plently of devices that will suit your needs, but, again there are no vga devices.

Take a look at Imate K-Jam(HTC Wizard). Very good and stable device. BT and Wi-Fi built-in too. Imate JAmin is nice one too,but, I prefer k-jam for its slide-in keyboard

Sunny

Don't forget Acer n311! It's the smallest VGA device (not phone) available with the most memory available. HTC apparently screwed up their devices somehow regarding memory.

pocketpcadmirer
02-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Don't forget Acer n311! It's the smallest VGA device (not phone) available with the most memory available. HTC apparently screwed up their devices somehow regarding memory.

Well, the author(of post) stressed upon getting a device with phone in-built :wink:

Anyway, k-jam has 47 MB of internal memory,which, IMO is just fine.

Sunny

kimmo
02-10-2006, 07:33 PM
My recommendation is PDA mentioned in the title. I'm satisfied even with its Internet properties. Speed isn't very high, but email does work very well. Okei, there is camera, too. 1,3 megapixels is not very much, but in some cases it's certainly usefull, I guess. Ans of course, the Tomtom GPS navigation system is excellent. It bears both SD and MiniSD slots. Bluetooth, GPRS etc. Buy it before You regret!! :)

LPC
02-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Well guys cheers for all your input. I've oppted for the PDA-N and a BT enabled mobile for my needs. Seems werid to go back to two devices after having an iMATE JAM and an O2 Exec but I'm pleased so far.

The PDA-N as a PDA is amazing. I can't get over how much more RAM / storage I have over the O2 Exec and it's sooo much quicker than the O2 Exec. The screen is no where near as good but I'm willing to make the sacrifice due to its amazing size :).

The WiFi works slicker, as it connects quicker. Avantgo is like 50x faster at everything it does ! Tomtom loads and scrolls faster. Overall I'm 90% megga impressed.

Now I've just got to decide on which phone to get to go with it. I might hold off a few weeks as I'm ordering a new car that has a cradle build in and might get a phone to fit that properly :D.

One werid problem though is that I can't for the life of me get the GPS working on it and I aint no n00b at these things. Lets hope one day I get hold of someone with half a brain in iMate who can help 8O.