View Full Version : Device activation

blumonde
02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Whenever I attach my pda to the cradle or remove it from the cradle, the unit activates itself to on. I wonder if there is a way to deactivate these options. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

blumonde

Nurhisham Hussein
02-07-2006, 02:22 AM
Sorry, there isn't.

Darius Wey
02-07-2006, 03:01 AM
If you wish to temporarily use the cradle for charging and not for synchronising (which is why I believe you are asking this question), then the only easy solution is to yank the USB cable out from the computer. That won't initiate an auto-on sequence on the Pocket PC.

blumonde
02-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Thanks for your input, gentlemen. The USB cable was not pluged into my laptop. Well, I guess there is nothing we can do. I hope Microsoft will add options to disable the auto-on sequence in the up comming pocket pc OS. I have version 3.0.11171. I think it is the latest version of pocket pc.

blumonde

Nurhisham Hussein
02-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Actually that version's over four years old - the latest is version 5.0, and no they haven't changed the auto-on function.

blumonde
02-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Actually that version's over four years old - the latest is version 5.0, and no they haven't changed the auto-on function.

Thanks for the info. You can tell I am a newbie to pdas. I understand there is a version called "Windows Mobile 5.0". Is that pocket pc 5.0? It is confusing to me. There is also another kind of handheld OS called "Windows CE". I can't tell which is which.

blumonde

Nurhisham Hussein
02-07-2006, 04:45 AM
You're telling me!! The short version:

Win CE is the basic code base for all Windows handheld computers. Pocket Pc/Windows Mobile and the Smartphone variant are supersets of WinCE, with additional APIs designed to handle PIM and phone functions (among other things). Pocket PC and Windows Mobile are the same OS, with the name change happening starting with Windows Mobile 2003 (WinCE 4.2). The current version of Windows Mobile is 5.0 (notice they dropped the year reference) which is a superset of WinCE 5.0.

So the sequence is Pocket PC (WinCE2.0)->Pocket PC 2002 (WinCE3.0)->Windows Mobile 2003 (WinCE4.2)->Windows Mobile 2003SE (WinCE4.21)->Windows Mobile 5.0 (WinCE5.0)

Note that programs designed for WinCE won't necessarily run on WinMobile, or vice versa.

blumonde
02-07-2006, 05:47 AM
You're telling me!! The short version:

Win CE is the basic code base for all Windows handheld computers. Pocket Pc/Windows Mobile and the Smartphone variant are supersets of WinCE, with additional APIs designed to handle PIM and phone functions (among other things). Pocket PC and Windows Mobile are the same OS, with the name change happening starting with Windows Mobile 2003 (WinCE 4.2). The current version of Windows Mobile is 5.0 (notice they dropped the year reference) which is a superset of WinCE 5.0.

So the sequence is Pocket PC (WinCE2.0)->Pocket PC 2002 (WinCE3.0)->Windows Mobile 2003 (WinCE4.2)->Windows Mobile 2003SE (WinCE4.21)->Windows Mobile 5.0 (WinCE5.0)

Note that programs designed for WinCE won't necessarily run on WinMobile, or vice versa.

Thanks so much the priceless lesson in handheld OS, Hishamn. I feel like a guru now. Glad you are around. You have saved me a lot of time researching. I was browsing Microsoft's WindowMobile site the other day but didn't find any historical info on their releases.

mariposo