View Full Version : Laptop Schedule to PDA

pmp6nl
02-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Hello,

I am sorry if this is a really stupid questions, but I am basically PDA dumb.

I am looking for a program that will let me put my schedule into my laptop and transfer it to a PDA (and vise-versa is possible)

I would prefer something that is more targeted to students, but anything that could do this would be great.

Thank you for your help.

Sven Johannsen
02-06-2006, 05:11 AM
Well, jumping to the wild assumption you have a PDA with a windows mobile OS on it, it should have come with a copy of Outlook for the desktop/laptop. That a fair calendar/schedule program, among other things.

Also included is ActiveSync, whose function is to sync that Outlook schedule, and other things, to the calendar app on the WM PDA.

What PDA do you have?

pocketpcadmirer
02-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Well, jumping to the wild assumption you have a PDA with a windows mobile OS on it

:lol: That was a nice one !!

If you *have* a 'pda' running windows mobile(any version), then, you just need MS Activesync(comes on CD). Install it on your PC and create a partnership. Go to options>>select calender and you are done

Sunny :)

pmp6nl
02-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Well, jumping to the wild assumption you have a PDA with a windows mobile OS on it, it should have come with a copy of Outlook for the desktop/laptop. That a fair calendar/schedule program, among other things.

Also included is ActiveSync, whose function is to sync that Outlook schedule, and other things, to the calendar app on the WM PDA.

What PDA do you have?

Well actually I dont have one yet (damn wild assumptions :D )

I am planning on getting the Hewlett-Packard - iPAQ Pocket PC rx1955... is it any good?

Actually I have never used outlook. I use either webbased email or thunderbird. Is outlook that good for scheduling, or would you recommend some other 3rd party program?

Thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
02-06-2006, 08:57 AM
I am planning on getting the Hewlett-Packard - iPAQ Pocket PC rx1955... is it any good?

Based on the feedback given here and elsewhere..stay away from that one, stay faaaaar away. Insufficient RAM memory, no bluetooth, about the only thing going for it is the form factor and price.

As for PIM clients - Activesync doesn't support anything else BUT Outlook on the desktop. While there are third party sync managers that can work with, say, Lotus Notes, neither these nor the desktop programs they support are free. They can also be a bit complicated to manage (field mappings, duplication of records etc - trust me I've been there). And FWIW, Outlook is pretty good, as long as you're smart about managing the security risks. You get a calender, contacts manager, task manager, notes application and e-mail client in one free application.

pmp6nl
02-08-2006, 07:25 PM

Based on the feedback given here and elsewhere..stay away from that one, stay faaaaar away. Insufficient RAM memory, no bluetooth, about the only thing going for it is the form factor and price.

As for PIM clients - Activesync doesn't support anything else BUT Outlook on the desktop. While there are third party sync managers that can work with, say, Lotus Notes, neither these nor the desktop programs they support are free. They can also be a bit complicated to manage (field mappings, duplication of records etc - trust me I've been there). And FWIW, Outlook is pretty good, as long as you're smart about managing the security risks. You get a calender, contacts manager, task manager, notes application and e-mail client in one free application.

Hey,

Thanks for letting me know. I went with the Dell X51v

Sven Johannsen
02-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Pretty good choice. Dell makes some excellent models at good prices. Give Outlook a shot on the desktop. It really handles most folk's requirements quite well, I would think. There are those that say it is too complicated, and those that say it is to primitive, but what are you gonna do.

If you find you need more meat on the PPC side, there are a number of enhancements you can get like Pocket Informant, or Agenda Fusion, or extensions like PocketBreeze that puts more info on your Today screen. The bottom line is that the actuall database of info, contacts, calendar etc., are the same and sync to Oultook. They just give you more capability and freedom in working with the info.

pmp6nl
02-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Pretty good choice. Dell makes some excellent models at good prices. Give Outlook a shot on the desktop. It really handles most folk's requirements quite well, I would think. There are those that say it is too complicated, and those that say it is to primitive, but what are you gonna do.

If you find you need more meat on the PPC side, there are a number of enhancements you can get like Pocket Informant, or Agenda Fusion, or extensions like PocketBreeze that puts more info on your Today screen. The bottom line is that the actuall database of info, contacts, calendar etc., are the same and sync to Oultook. They just give you more capability and freedom in working with the info.

Cool, thanks for your help.