View Full Version : Activesync 3.8

engine44
02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Trying to download 3.8. After download it runs but does not open Wizard for setup.

Please help.

Janak Parekh
02-05-2006, 05:35 PM
What do you mean? Does the installation process complete? Does an ActiveSync icon appear in the tray?

--janak

engine44
02-06-2006, 05:14 PM
After the downlad is complete an icon appears on the desktop. I can run the file from there. It unzips and loads files. Nothing else happens after that. There is no Wizard. There is no chance to set anything up. There is no indication that ActiveSyc is acutally on the computer.

Thanks

Janak Parekh
02-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Sounds like the setup program isn't launching after the self-extracting file unpacks itself.

Here are some generic tips to get programs to install more reliably: Make sure you have antivirus programs turned off. In addition, clean your TEMP directory out if you know how (you can find it, although it's hidden, under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp, I think; Start => Run => "%TEMP%" without the % marks will get you there too). Finally, remove startup programs in case they're interfering with the installation process.

Unfortunately, it's hard to debug this at times. :( And make sure to be careful if you delete any files; you don't want to delete anything that's a critical Windows file or your data. Good luck.

--janak

engine44
02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks for your help. This is the first time this has happened to any download including Activesync.

Do you think if I restore to an earlier version of computer settings that the problem will be solved.

applejosh
02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
It almost sounds like you either have a corrupt install file, or maybe a system service that is needed isn't running. I had a client who couldn't install anything on their PC (not related to PocketPC's at all), and it turns out the PC had the Windows Installer all messed up. (An updated version of the Windows Installer somehow got installed to a temporary directory (instead of \Windows\System32) that was subsequently emptied.) But they at least got an error message whn trying to install something (everything).

Before diving into the Microsoft help system for something like that, you might try clearing the cache in your browser, and re-downloading ActiveSync 3.8 again (in addition to clearing the temp directories as suggested by Janak).

Janak Parekh
02-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Do you think if I restore to an earlier version of computer settings that the problem will be solved.
It is possible that a System Restore would help, but I can't say for sure, and there are sometimes undesirable effects of a System Restore (such as applications or devices that have been installed since being broken). If it's not too difficult, I'd try the other suggestions first.

--janak