View Full Version : Do you think PALM LIFE DRIVE2, will have window modile on it?

scarletknight96
02-04-2006, 08:35 AM
I am dying to findout this informaion.

pocketpcadmirer
02-04-2006, 11:56 AM
IMO, I dont think that MS will ever let a windows mobile manuf to use hard disk as memory strorage. This is because it would hurt the sales of portable media centers,which use hard disk.

Perhaps this is why we have not seen any devices till date using hard disks and using windows mobile OS together.

This makes me conjure that Lifedrive 2 will still be using POS

Sunny

whydidnt
02-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't think MS is restricting this at all. The rumored HTC Muse will have a hard drive. MS probably doesn't care if you buy a portable Media Center or a PPC, just that you buy a product with their software on it.

I think Palm has indicated that they weren't going to make any non-phone edition WM PDA's, so unless they change direction, I doubt we'll see a WM Life Drive. I personally think Palm would be smart to simultaneously release Palm and WM devices with the same specs and see what happens. It seems to me they use the exact same hardware with the exception of the screen resolution - they simply need to load the different OS and drivers and go.

Having owned a LifeDrive - if Palm makes the same kind of decisions regarding Memory on a WM unit, it would be a complete failure. The POS was already extremely slow, I can't imagine how much slower WM would be. If they would take the very un-Palm like stance of not skimping on RAM, it would be a great device --- if a 30 GB hard drive was included. 4 GB is too easy to duplicate with removable storage today.

Guest979
02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I think it will have Palm OS, but because of Palm, not Microsoft. Palm insists that they still like and support the Palm OS, and that they are not abandoning it.

Janak Parekh
02-05-2006, 05:40 PM
I personally think Palm would be smart to simultaneously release Palm and WM devices with the same specs and see what happens.
The problem is it costs a lot of money to redevelop a device for a new OS. Additionally, the LifeDrive uses a 320x480 display, which is not supported by WM5, so you'd have to set up a different resolution. I believe Palm took the bite with the Treo because of the requests of lots of business users, but as the LifeDrive is a consumer product, I don't see this happening.

And, FWIW, I really haven't seen great LifeDrive adoption anywhere. Most people who use Palms just carry an iPod or somesuch for their media. The Palm TX seems to be a lot more popular from my experience.

--janak

whydidnt
02-06-2006, 09:04 PM
And, FWIW, I really haven't seen great LifeDrive adoption anywhere. Most people who use Palms just carry an iPod or somesuch for their media. The Palm TX seems to be a lot more popular from my experience.
--janak

I agree, not much LifeDrive adoption, but I think the reason is clearly because it it dog slow and bug ridden. Hmm, makes me wonder why everyone is so excited about WM5 :lol:

Like I said, I'd like to see them try one with WM and a 30 GB HD - WM, while no iPod, handles media much better than POs and with a larger HD it would perhaps help persuade a few users to try convergence and give up their iPod. More wishful thinking on my part than anything else. I'm sure we won't see a WM LifeDrive, at least not in 2006.

wshwe
02-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Palm knew a WM Treo would be a hit. The same can't be said about a WM Lifedrive. The WM Treo was squarely targeted at the enterprise market. If Palm does introduce a new Lifedrive it will probably run POS, maybe even Linux POS.

Janak Parekh
02-07-2006, 10:05 PM
I agree, not much LifeDrive adoption, but I think the reason is clearly because it it dog slow and bug ridden. Hmm, makes me wonder why everyone is so excited about WM5 :lol:
In WM5's defense, it's not that bad. On the other hand, "not that bad" isn't exactly the best comment in the world. How about... WM5 certainly has lots of promise, and overall I like it more than 2003SE.

Like I said, I'd like to see them try one with WM and a 30 GB HD - WM, while no iPod, handles media much better than POs and with a larger HD it would perhaps help persuade a few users to try convergence and give up their iPod.
Agreed.

Or... instead of having Microsoft spend so much time and money on the Portable Media Center project, make some of those PMC OEMs work on a HD-enabled Pocket PC. <shrug> I've given up trying to figure out Microsoft's media efforts, because they're clearly not working (in case no one noticed, Dell just pulled out of the hard drive player market).

--janak