View Full Version : Verizon Enables (Limited) Phone Tethering

Janak Parekh
02-03-2006, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1918150,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,189...,1918150,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Verizon Wireless has changed its policy and will now let subscribers use several popular phones as high-speed modems for their laptops, company representatives confirmed Thursday. The shift represents a major policy change for Verizon, which has traditionally restricted this type of usage in its terms of service agreement. The new plans are available starting today. A formal announcement will be released later today or tomorrow, company representatives said. Users of the LG VX9800, Motorola RAZR V3c, Motorola E815, and LG VX8100 phones are now able to connect their laptops to the Internet for $59.99 per month in addition to their voice plans, according to Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney."</i><br /><br />... but <b>not</b> the Treo 700w or the XV6700, at least at launch. 8O Additionally, this will be USB-only (well, at least the supported configuration). Rumors have suggested the 700w <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45976">will be eventually supported</a>, but who knows if or when. I guess this is a step forward, but still, :bad-words:

bmcbride_81
02-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Though it's not official with Verizon there is a "hack" to use the 700w and xv6700 as a modem...tethered via usb...it's a program called pdanet...works great with my xv6700.

--Brian

makic
02-03-2006, 05:14 AM
If one were to want to violate Verizon's TOC's, they could hack pretty much each of the phones listed. They could even get bluetooth tethering.

Janak Parekh
02-03-2006, 05:19 AM
If one were to want to violate Verizon's TOC's, they could hack pretty much each of the phones listed. They could even get bluetooth tethering.
Right. I'm looking for the legit solution. I've heard about some of the threatening letters people have received (or permanent disables of their data plan), and that's not something I'd want. ;)

--janak

whydidnt
02-03-2006, 05:34 AM
I think the issue with the PPC devices is that if Verizon turns on "tethering they have no way to control it. Because of the way WM uses DUN they can't tell if you are tethered while using your cheaper PDA data plan. I still like the way Sprint has priced this out better. Buy a limited amount of bandwidth at a lower price, and then charge the customer the unlimited rate if the the bandwidth rate is exceeded.[/code]

lapchinj
02-03-2006, 06:10 AM
...Rumors have suggested the 700w will be eventually supported (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45976), but who knows if or when. I guess this is a step forward, but still, :bad-words:
And I take it that the 710 is up the river without a paddle :pukeface2:

Jeff-

tospappy
02-03-2006, 09:00 AM
All I can say is I have been using my HP 2215 and my Ipaq 5500 bluetoothed to my motorola E815's to access broadband without a hitch. Just pay 5.00 per month for mobile web and use your airtime minutes. So far my surfing minutes have not shown up on the account. I even tried the msn WebTv to go. Not bad. Using Http mail I can have my Ipaqs connect via the E815 every 15 minutes and download my latest emails from my hotmail accounts. There is a trick to this and it is on the web. Works great. Go figure.

Cybrid
02-03-2006, 01:44 PM
I found a Telus UTS 6700 that wasn't properly disabled and I can DUN with it. :lol:

jlc, just jlc
02-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Word is VZW is working on this for the 700w; but there is no date for it's release. They'd be dumb not to make this widely available given the extra $15 it costs.

Janak Parekh
02-03-2006, 04:41 PM
I think the issue with the PPC devices is that if Verizon turns on "tethering they have no way to control it. Because of the way WM uses DUN they can't tell if you are tethered while using your cheaper PDA data plan.
Yeah, that's my guess too. Maybe they'll roll out a solution with the AKU2 update? Who knows...

--janak

kgb
02-03-2006, 05:46 PM
I've set up the hack to be able to use my Samsung i730 as a modem, but use it rarely. Samsung has been out of stock on the usb cable forever, so I have to carry around the cradle for access. Is there a way to use bluetooth?

whydidnt
02-04-2006, 05:18 AM
I've set up the hack to be able to use my Samsung i730 as a modem, but use it rarely. Samsung has been out of stock on the usb cable forever, so I have to carry around the cradle for access. Is there a way to use bluetooth?

Read the faq at www.pdaphonehome.com . There is a file you can download that enables bluetooth DUN access. It is much slower than the USB connection, though.

I got a nice retractable USB cable at Boxwave and it works great for this though. No need to wait for the official Samsung cable.

gudor
02-20-2006, 08:04 AM
I am hoping to get a quick reply...but we'll see.

I am in the market for an i730 and wanted to figure a few things out...

Can i use the phone as a modem for my laptop...through dial-up isp service? I REALLY don't want to pay the extra for high speed...but since i will use it on the weekend (free minutes), i figure dial up will work.

Also, let me know what you think of the phone in general.

Thanks.

XYXOXY
02-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I guess I'm a little confused. My company is in the process of switching from Nextel :pukeface: to Verizon. I'd like to finally incorporate my phone and PDA (currently using an old IPAQ) into one device and the smartphones seem to be on target to fit most of my needs.

So I'm trying to compare the XV6700 - to the Treo 700W - to the Samsung i730. And this subject of tethering seems to be a hot topic with conflicting stories. According to Verizon all 3 models are suitable for their Broadband service which they describe as :
Now get the broadband-like speed you require to work efficiently outside the office. Using our wireless PC card with your laptop, you can connect to the Internet, corporate intranet, and your email and attachments while you're away from the office at typical download speeds of 400 - 700 kbps^, capable of reaching speeds up to 2.0 Mbps...
Their National Access has a similar description (with lower speeds) which mentions a laptop and is available on all but the Treo.
Perhaps they literally mean that you have to use one of their PC cards with the laptop and this doesn't apply to the smartphones. I just can't tell.

Anyway... One of our reps is trying to strongarm me into getting a Blackberry because he loves his and it's cheaper. We also have email support for Blackberry built into our network. But I'm kinda used to the windows platform.

I would LOVE to have the functionality of my PPC married with my phone and also be able to use the device as a high speed EVDO modem for my laptop. Apparently this IS possible with the Blackberry. Using the USB connection is just peachy with me. WiFi support is also important. Bluetooth doesn't concern me much but if it works I'm sure I will find a way to use it... though I never really did get it to work on the IPAQ. For now I only envision using a bluetooth handsfree headset for phone conversations in the car. I don't need instant access to my office email though I would like the option to easily check and synch mail and contacts etc on demand... and while on the go if possible.

So my question is - Can I do what I want with Verizon ? Is there a better solution ?

Please forgive the long post and any glaring technical oversights. I don't immerse myself in tech toys on a daily basis. I tend to research extensively until I find something I like and then stick with it unti it dies or becomes obsolete.

Thanks for any suggestions or insights.

kgb
02-23-2006, 01:22 AM
The easy answer, is yes you can do what you want to do! I have both the i730 and now the 700w and have used them as a modem for my computer. I took the advice and bought a mini-sync cable from boxwave and downloaded PdaNet and now I have the connectivity I was looking for. It's certainly not the fastest, but it's nearly always available at reasonable speeds.

The i730 and the 700w are both great phones/PDA's IMHO; of all the similarities and differences, to me it boiled down to the 700w being extremely friendly for one-handed use. The i730 seemed to be less sluggish in operation and had a little more screen real estate. The only problem I have with the 700w screen is it's much harder using Gps in the car.

Janak Parekh
02-23-2006, 10:49 PM
According to Verizon all 3 models are suitable for their Broadband service which they describe as :
BroadbandAccess is basically a technology, EVDO to be precise, that gives you great speeds. Unfortunately, if you read the fine print, it's far more nuanced than that. From what I've heard:

1. The $44.95 PDA/smartphone plan explicitly forbids computer tethering;

2. Apparently, Verizon will only sell you the $15 tethering add-on or the $59.95 unlimited PC card plan if you use a supported device.

Technologically speaking, you can use the former and tether via software like PDANet (http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php), but if you use it too much, Verizon will crack down on you, which includes some combination of nasty letter, permanent turn-off of data service, and/or some extra charges.

You may want to read the Verizon forums over on HowardForums (www.howardforums.com) on the subject; they do bring it up fairly frequently. It's rumored they will add this service for Pocket PCs in the future, but it has not been confirmed as to which Pocket PCs and as to when. I know I'll be ready to tether as soon as they allow me.

--janak