View Full Version : What Exactly Is "Windows Mobile?"

Ed Hansberry
02-02-2006, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/buy06/quickguide.aspx">http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/buy06/quickguide.aspx</a><br /><br /><i>"Windows Mobile" is the brand name Microsoft uses with the operating system and software applications it developed for handheld computers. Most of the devices described in this magazine come with a version of Microsoft's Windows Mobile operating system (OS) and a suite of Windows Mobile productivity and multimedia applications built-in and ready to use."</i><br /><br />Rich Hall over at Pocket PC Magazine has written an article explaining exactly what Windows Mobile is and how it ties into the Pocket PC an Smartphone products. Users new to Windows Mobile will definitely get a lot out of this, and veterans that have been around for years will even pick up some new tidbits. Of course, after all Rich has written, it doesn't help that Palm calls the Treo 700w a "smartphone" when it is really a Pocket PC. :?

Jonathan1
02-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Windows Mobile is Pocket PC. I refuse to use a clunky name and as such I will continue to call it the Pocket PC OS even though its Windows CE which is Windows Mobile. :cry: Its about as stupid sounding as the MacBook Pro. :)

*shrugs* What's in a name?

Ed Hansberry
02-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Windows Mobile is Pocket PC.
Uhm... no. Pocket PC is Windows Mobile, but Windows Mobile isn't Pocket PC. Sort of like, a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square. Maybe you need to read the article. :wink:

dequardo
02-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Regardless, it's never good for a product when articles like this are necessary. "If you have to explain to the public what it is......"

Mike

Kacey Green
02-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Regardless, it's never good for a product when articles like this are necessary. "If you have to explain to the public what it is......"

Mike I disagree, people still call Rex wrong.
"Is that a Palm Pilot?"
"No its better"
:)