View Full Version : PIM data backup...

InGearX
02-01-2006, 07:07 AM
What's the best software that will constantly keep a backup of my PIM (contacts) on permanent space?

(at times I enter important data and would hate it to be lost...)

update: I'm using iMate Jam.

Any tips, tricks, links, suggestions are much appreciated ;)

Thank you all...

pocketpcadmirer
02-01-2006, 07:31 AM
If you use any of the HTC devices(using 2003 or 2003SE OS), then, they've included a utility called "permanent storage". This utility backs-up your PIM data to storage-ROM upon evey soft-reset.

If you use non-HTC product, then, I dont think there exists a utility to contantly backup PIM data(or on soft reset)

Sunny

InGearX
02-01-2006, 08:41 AM
What are "HTC devices"? (I have iMate JAM)

Thank you pocketpcadmirer - I have "Permanent Save" and I used it and it seems to have lost my data... I guess I am not familiar with how it works - it will save all say contact data on boot time?

So if a hard reset occurs after writing important data - it will be lost?

And you are right - I would am looking for software that constantly images my PID DB...

pocketpcadmirer
02-01-2006, 09:39 AM
What are "HTC devices"? (I have iMate JAM)

Your JAM is better known as HTC magician(its a company of taiwan which distributes these devices to other companies and they just do a little bit of customisation and also change their name)

I have O2 mini(same as Jam)(HTC magician).

Thank you pocketpcadmirer - I have "Permanent Save" and I used it and it seems to have lost my data... I guess I am not familiar with how it works - it will save all say contact data on boot time?

It backups your data every time you conduct a soft-reset to non-volatile ROM.

So if a hard reset occurs after writing important data - it will be lost?

As said above, it back-up the data to non-volatile storage. The contents of the storage folder survive a hard-reset.
In case you undergo hard-reset, just go to "permanent save" and all of you PIM data will be recovered :D

Therefore, I would suggest you to enable that feature and conduct a soft-reset every day. As a result, you will always have the latest PIM data(in case u have to undergo hard reset)

Sunny