View Full Version : A complete overview and test (!) of WM5 backup solutions

Menneisyys
01-31-2006, 06:35 PM
If you ever wondered what application to use to backup your Windows Mobile 5 (WM5) Pocket PC, you may find my latest article useful. It's available at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=497&more=1 . Comments, corrections, flames are welcome.

Patrick Y.
02-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Hello!! Thank you for the great review.

The current version of the SunnySoft Backup Manager, on the other hand, should be avoided. It has the following problems:

* On the HTC Wizard, it wasn't ever able to restore anything. I've played a lot with the settings, including with trying to backup to/restore from the built-in flash ROM (\My Documents) instead of the memory card, switching off/on the compression, making EXE backups; all in vain. Of course, I've always tried to restore to an absolutely clean HTC Wizard (version data: IPL 1.01, SPL 1.06, GSM 01.01.10, OS 1.1.9.3). Upon starting to restore, I've always been greeted with the "Invalid file signature" error message, as can be seen in this screenshot.
* On the Dell Axim x51v, it did work, but it royally messed up the Messaging databases. Upon clicking "restored" mails, I've always been presented a gwes.exe crash, as can be seen in this error message. This happened in all configuration I've tested, after every restoration.
* Finally, the application executable file itself likes freezing / stucking. This screenshot is an example of that.

Strangely, it's the opposite for me on x50v with WM5. Sprite backup and the built in backup manager both failed to restore while Sunnysoft backup successfully restored my files and settings, but with TONS of problems as you described. Any ideas why Sprite won't work?

Menneisyys
02-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Hello!! Thank you for the great review.

The current version of the SunnySoft Backup Manager, on the other hand, should be avoided. It has the following problems:

* On the HTC Wizard, it wasn't ever able to restore anything. I've played a lot with the settings, including with trying to backup to/restore from the built-in flash ROM (\My Documents) instead of the memory card, switching off/on the compression, making EXE backups; all in vain. Of course, I've always tried to restore to an absolutely clean HTC Wizard (version data: IPL 1.01, SPL 1.06, GSM 01.01.10, OS 1.1.9.3). Upon starting to restore, I've always been greeted with the "Invalid file signature" error message, as can be seen in this screenshot.
* On the Dell Axim x51v, it did work, but it royally messed up the Messaging databases. Upon clicking "restored" mails, I've always been presented a gwes.exe crash, as can be seen in this error message. This happened in all configuration I've tested, after every restoration.
* Finally, the application executable file itself likes freezing / stucking. This screenshot is an example of that.

Strangely, it's the opposite for me on x50v with WM5. Sprite backup and the built in backup manager both failed to restore while Sunnysoft backup successfully restored my files and settings, but with TONS of problems as you described. Any ideas why Sprite won't work?

Dunno - prolly the flaky WM5 implementation for the x50v? Or just device differences, as has been pointed out in the 'disclaimer' section.

Menneisyys
02-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Updated the article with a review & test of the latest Spb Backup Release Candidate. Really worth checking out if you want to backup your WM5 device.

Menneisyys
02-03-2006, 06:51 AM
A review of the brand new version of Spb Backup has just been posted to http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=wm5_users_new_beta_version_of_spb_backup&more=1

It doesn't seem to have any bugs any more and is highly recommended as a "basic" WM5 backup utility.

Menneisyys
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Just posted a thorough review of the final version of Sprite Backup 5.0 with a lot of tips, explanations, compatibility tests and benchmark results. Feel free to read it at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=517&more=1

It will be continued as soon as the final version of Spb Backup is released so that I can write a comparative review.

Patrick Y.
02-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Hi,
Do you have any idea abou the pricing and release date for SPB Backup? It backup my data quickly and efficiently without any errors. Haven't try retoring yet though.

Darius Wey
02-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Do you have any idea abou the pricing and release date for SPB Backup? It backup my data quickly and efficiently without any errors. Haven't try retoring yet though.

It'll be released on February 14 at $19.95. On top of what you've tested, there will be additional features available. Check out this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46231) for more information.

It works great. :)

Patrick Y.
02-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Good to know it's cheaper than Sprite.