View Full Version : email trouble!!

jnajera
01-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I have a ipaq hx2790 and whe I get emailed a document I am unable to view it. Is this a windows mobile 5 issue or a unit issue? Its really bothering me because I get emailed documents from my company nightly.

Guest979
01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
What format are they in? What error do you get?

pocketpcadmirer
01-31-2006, 05:14 PM
I have a ipaq hx2790 and whe I get emailed a document I am unable to view it. Is this a windows mobile 5 issue or a unit issue? Its really bothering me because I get emailed documents from my company nightly.

Okay. Which document,I mean what is the extention of the document? May be that you are trying to open a document that is not supported by the iPAQ(currently). Please tell us the format before we can give the solution :)

Sunny

jnajera
01-31-2006, 05:44 PM
It is word and excel formats. It gives me an error that says "An error occurred reading............because the file is in an invalid format". This is especially irratating considering that my Palm TX can open them.

Patrick Y.
02-01-2006, 02:54 AM
It is word and excel formats. It gives me an error that says "An error occurred reading............because the file is in an invalid format". This is especially irratating considering that my Palm TX can open them.

I think the file is corrupted or not sent correctly. It's definately not a device problem.

jnajera
02-01-2006, 03:49 AM
It happens with every file thrown at it since I got it.

Patrick Y.
02-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Is it in pure Word or Excel format? Or somewhat coonverted?

jnajera
02-01-2006, 05:54 AM
They are pure word and exel files untouched.

pocketpcadmirer
02-01-2006, 06:10 AM
One possibility may be that some other application has taken control over opening the doc and xls files.
Solution: Try my extentions (http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/myextensions.shtml). It is a freeware.

I too had same problem when I'd associated my wma files with pocket player. When I uninstalled pocket player,then, I couldnt play the files through file explorer. I then had to re-associate the files by using the nifty freeware I mentioned above.

Hope that helps

**try saving the files by saving it(tap-n-hold on the attachment and save it). Then go to pocket word or excel(whatever the extension is). The file would be listed there and from there it can be opened.

Sunny :)

Patrick Y.
02-01-2006, 07:02 AM
One possibility may be that some other application has taken control over opening the doc and xls files.
Solution: Try my extentions (http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/myextensions.shtml). It is a freeware.

I too had same problem when I'd associated my wma files with pocket player. When I uninstalled pocket player,then, I couldnt play the files through file explorer. I then had to re-associate the files by using the nifty freeware I mentioned above.

Hope that helps

**try saving the files by saving it(tap-n-hold on the attachment and save it). Then go to pocket word or excel(whatever the extension is). The file would be listed there and from there it can be opened.

hmm... I don't think that's it. The error message would be something like "cannot open the file......Please run the program first...."if it's broken file association.

jnajera, how big are the files and what kind of Word/Excel format are they (eg. 2000,etc.)? Also, try transfering the file through activesync, which is suppose to convert the files to Pocket format. However, Office Mobile should be able to open pure word, xls format.

pocketpcadmirer
02-01-2006, 07:28 AM
hmm... I don't think that's it. The error message would be something like "cannot open the file......Please run the program first...."if it's broken file association.

To prove my statement,try this. Install clearvue document. By default it associates itself to doc files upon installation.
Now uninstall it. You will no longer be able to open files through file explorer.
Then when an email containg attachments will arrive and when you tap on the attachment to open it,you will see message,"cannot open the file".

Thats why, I stressed upon using myextentions

Patrick Y.
02-01-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm not saying that your statement is wrong. I'm just pointing out that the original poster's problem is not caused by broken file association. After all, the original poster got ""An error occurred reading............because the file is in an invalid format" message instead of ""cannot open the file".

surfer
02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Have you tried textmaker to see if you can open the documents in it?

jnajera
02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
When I drag and drop or activesync the same doc I have no problem. It only occurs when emailed.