View Full Version : Resco Audio Recorder--scheduled recording

maikii
01-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Anyone here used this? Were you able to get scheduled recording to work?

I'm trying out the demo now, on IPAQ 2210 (WM2003), recording to CF card.

For me, one of the advantages of this product is the scheduled recording, not present in the built-in audio recorder, or the freeware one I have called NoteM.

But I cannot get it to work right. What I think happens is: you program it, with non-use the PPC turns off of course, and it does not turn back on when the scheduled time comes.

However, I think "Off" on the PPC isn't really off, not like when a desktop PC is shut down, more like when the latter is in standby. Shouldn't it wake up for a scheduled task?

If not a bug in the program, I wonder if there is something wrong with my PPC setup. What should I check (settings, registry key, etc.) to see if scheduled wake-up is set correctly?

Thanks for your input.

Menneisyys
01-31-2006, 06:54 AM

For me, one of the advantages of this product is the scheduled recording, not present in the built-in audio recorder, or the freeware one I have called NoteM.

But I cannot get it to work right. What I think happens is: you program it, with non-use the PPC turns off of course, and it does not turn back on when the scheduled time comes.

However, I think "Off" on the PPC isn't really off, not like when a desktop PC is shut down, more like when the latter is in standby. Shouldn't it wake up for a scheduled task?

If not a bug in the program, I wonder if there is something wrong with my PPC setup. What should I check (settings, registry key, etc.) to see if scheduled wake-up is set correctly?

Thanks for your input.

An excerpt form the article Everything you may need to know about sound recording on the Pocket PC (http://pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/112005SoundRecorderApps.asp); the "Scheduling" section: some apps offer the ability to schedule recordings. Of the up-to-date ones, both VITO and Resco offer scheduling capabilities. However, neither of them work OK without the well-known "wake up PPC to full power mode" Registry hack (see this free app : http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=876 or Tweaks2k2: http://tweaks2k2.com/downloads.htm ). Unfortunately, the help files / documentation of the two apps don't mention this - this is surely a problem with the documentation of both apps because non-expert PPC users won't have a clue about it. Without the hack, on WM2003 devices (WM2003SE included!), only 15 seconds are recorded.

maikii
02-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Thank you for the very informative reply, Menneisyys, and the links to those very interesting articles of yours. I learned a lot about PPC audio from reading them.

I tried the wakeup tweak program, and in fact set it to its maximum, 120 seconds, and checked the box "Always wake up PPC to full power mode".

Yet I still cannot get the scheduled recording to work with Resco. When the scheduled time comes around, instead of recording starting, I always get the error message: "Cannot execute \CF Card\Program Files\AudioRecorder.exe".

IIn other words, the system does turn on, and that error message is displayed on the screen. One thing occurs to me, due to it saying "cannot execute......". Well, Audio Recorder is already running, although the PPC went into sleep mode. Is one supposed to exit from the Audio Recorder program after setting a scheduled record? Is part of the process of running the scheduled task to start the program, and it cannot already be started?

If that's the case, they really should make that clear in the scheduling dialog--say please exit from this program before the scheduled time, or something like that. I thought the program was supposed to be left running.

If that's not the problem, is it possible that the Tweaks2k2 tweak would do something that the wakeup tweak doesn't?

Although I usually do not use alarms, reminders, etc., I tested those to see if they work, set an alarm, set a reminder, etc., and it worked every time. So I don't think there is an overall problem with any scheduling on my unit.

Also--could the problem perhaps have something to do with the fact that the program is installed on the CF card? Should it be installed in main memory? (I try not to install most programs in main memory, as the IPAQ 2210 doesn't have a lot of that, and I don't want to take from program memory.) Or would it work in IPAQ File Store?

Thanks again! :D

Thanks for your input.

An excerpt form the article Everything you may need to know about sound recording on the Pocket PC (http://pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/112005SoundRecorderApps.asp); the "Scheduling" section: some apps offer the ability to schedule recordings. Of the up-to-date ones, both VITO and Resco offer scheduling capabilities. However, neither of them work OK without the well-known "wake up PPC to full power mode" Registry hack (see this free app : http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=876 or Tweaks2k2: http://tweaks2k2.com/downloads.htm ). Unfortunately, the help files / documentation of the two apps don't mention this - this is surely a problem with the documentation of both apps because non-expert PPC users won't have a clue about it. Without the hack, on WM2003 devices (WM2003SE included!), only 15 seconds are recorded.

Menneisyys
02-01-2006, 01:09 AM
install it to main memory or the File store. Upon powering up your PPC, storage cards are still not visible; this is why the app doesn't start.

Please note that I've also described a way of freeing up some 1 Mbyte of static storsage with Resco in my blog, depending on the audio codec you use, by deleting some DLL's from the home of the app. That way, its RAM/file Store usage can be greatly reduced.

maikii
02-01-2006, 02:28 AM
install it to main memory or the File store. Upon powering up your PPC, storage cards are still not visible; this is why the app doesn't start.

Please note that I've also described a way of freeing up some 1 Mbyte of static storsage with Resco in my blog, depending on the audio codec you use, by deleting some DLL's from the home of the app. That way, its RAM/file Store usage can be greatly reduced.

So, it's the installation to CF card that's the problem! I think programs that cannot be installed to storage cards really should warn people of that. Or in this case, some kind of note that if you wish to use the scheduling function, not to install to a storage card. To save program memory, I always install to either the file store or storage card. If there would be a problem with that, there should be a warning about it.

Are you sure the IPAQ File Store would work? Are those files visible to the system immediately?

Regarding my other question then, does one leave the program running (as I have done) when leaving it to record on a schedule? Or exit from the program, and let the scheduler turn it back on?

Should I still have the wakeup tweak going? With what settings? (I guess that probably should not be installed to CF card either, eh?)

Thank you.

Menneisyys
02-01-2006, 03:41 AM

So, it's the installation to CF card that's the problem! I think programs that cannot be installed to storage cards really should warn people of that. Or in this case, some kind of note that if you wish to use the scheduling function, not to install to a storage card. To save program memory, I always install to either the file store or storage card. If there would be a problem with that, there should be a warning about it.

Are you sure the IPAQ File Store would work? Are those files visible to the system immediately?

Regarding my other question then, does one leave the program running (as I have done) when leaving it to record on a schedule? Or exit from the program, and let the scheduler turn it back on?

Should I still have the wakeup tweak going? With what settings? (I guess that probably should not be installed to CF card either, eh?)

Thank you.

1. Officially, there is indeed no warning built into the OS about NOT installing anything boot/powerup-time on storager cards.

2. You can installit safely into the File Store, it'll be visible, unlike storage card contents.

3. I'm absolutely sure the wakeup hack will work - I've throughly tested it.

4. the hack is to be run only once to modify the Registry; that is, it can be installed anywhere (and even deleted after running).

maikii
02-01-2006, 05:23 AM
4. the hack is to be run only once to modify the Registry; that is, it can be installed anywhere (and even deleted after running).

There are different settings for the wakeup hack program, though. What settings do you recommend? The default it sets of 60 seconds, and leave the box with the other setting unchecked?

Menneisyys
02-01-2006, 05:26 AM

There are different settings for the wakeup hack program, though. What settings do you recommend? The default it sets of 60 seconds, and leave the box with the other setting unchecked?

IIRC, yes. Try making some example scheduled recordings after applying the hack.

maikii
02-01-2006, 05:27 AM
1. Officially, there is indeed no warning built into the OS about NOT installing anything boot/powerup-time on storager cards.

A little OT, but do you (and perhaps others reading) have guidelines for what can and cannot be installed to a storage card rather than main memory?

Is it only programs that absolutely need to be there quickly at power-on, that cannot be installed to a storage card?

Has anyone compiled a list of programs that have problems if installed to a storage card?

Thanks again.

Menneisyys
02-01-2006, 07:17 AM

A little OT, but do you (and perhaps others reading) have guidelines for what can and cannot be installed to a storage card rather than main memory?

Is it only programs that absolutely need to be there quickly at power-on, that cannot be installed to a storage card?

Has anyone compiled a list of programs that have problems if installed to a storage card?

Thanks again.

There're very few hard-ad-fast rules. First, all Today plug-ins should go to the RAM or the File Store. It's only their additional icons/resources that, in cases, may go to a storage card.

The same stands for scheduled apps (anything that you can manually schedule): when the PDA is powered up from suspended mode, the memory cards aren't visible for some seconds. This is why they have to be on an instantly available memory type.

You may also want to read this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36674) and my older, memory/relocation-related articles on my old homepage (http://www.winmobiletech.com/), in addition to the 'Memory' section of my blog.

maikii
02-02-2006, 05:23 AM
2. You can installit safely into the File Store, it'll be visible, unlike storage card contents.

Actually, I found the Resco Audio Recorder cannot be installed into the IPAQ File Store, at least on the IPAQ 2210. I tried to do so several times, and kept getting error messages.

I finally figured out what is going on. That file store is small, less than 4 MB. The Resco Audio Recorder is a large program for a PPC, with the installation taking up I think about 5 MB. Therefore, even if one removed all other files from the File Store, RAC is too large to fit in that location.

I finally succeeded in installing to main memory. I haven't yet had a chance to try out the scheduling again. I will, of course.

That is a big memory hit from main/combined memory on the 2210, 5 MB to install one program. (Other than this scheduling feature, the program will work when installed to a storage card. I wanted to try the scheduling feature though. It would be nice if one could hack the installation so that the files necessary for the scheduling are in main memory or the File Store, while most of the files, especially larger ones, are moved to a storage card. Of course the files in main memory would have to know the locations of the files moved to storage card. (Set in the registry?) Any idea on how to do this?

Thank you.

maikii
02-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all the links to articles re memory allocation as well, Menneisys!

I have a question regarding battery life, since it sounds in one of your reviews like you tested this program with my PPC, the IPAQ 2210.

I know this will vary according to the condition of the battery, etc., but I wonder if you could give me an estimation?

An IPAQ 2210--battery fully charged--Bluetooth turned off-background programs unloaded--recording with Resco Audio Recorder to Compact Flash Card (normal speed card), using a compression setting you recommended for spoken word in one of your reviews--Speex 32 mHz, quality 3, 18 kbps bit rate. Backlight completely off. Approximately (I know this can only be an approximation, an educated guess) how long do you think it would record before the battery runs out?

Also, what about the setting: "Prepare File Size Before Recording"? Do you recommend that, if recording to a storage card? If so, what do you recommend the file size be set to? To use that, does one have to actually calculate the approximate size of the final file, using time and bit rate? Does the stated file size have to be about the same as the actual file size that the recording will be? If one states a file size, does recording stop when that file size is reached, altthough one might wish to record longer into that file?

Thanks again for all your info.
:D

Menneisyys
02-02-2006, 06:56 AM
An IPAQ 2210--battery fully charged--Bluetooth turned off-background programs unloaded--recording with Resco Audio Recorder to Compact Flash Card (normal speed card), using a compression setting you recommended for spoken word in one of your reviews--Speex 32 mHz, quality 3, 18 kbps bit rate. Backlight completely off. Approximately (I know this can only be an approximation, an educated guess) how long do you think it would record before the battery runs out?

Depends on the age of the battery. Mine is quite aged (over 2.5 years) and shuts the PPC down at about 23% level (measured at the standard 72hour standby period setting). It's capable of appr. 4 hours (I constantly use it in this mode) with these settings. This means a new battery can record as long as about 5 hours - as opposed to the 7.5 hours of the much less CPU-intensive NoteM.

Menneisyys
02-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Actually, I found the Resco Audio Recorder cannot be installed into the IPAQ File Store, at least on the IPAQ 2210. I tried to do so several times, and kept getting error messages.

It can be. I've tested it with version 3.21.

With the latest ROM version 1.10, the iPAQ 2210 has a 3.8Mbyte large File Store, leaving 0/91M free before the first run and 1.48 after the first run (because, during the first run, Resco applications all delete unneeded sets of icons - for example, wih version 3.21 running on a QVGA WM2003 device (meaning no Landscape support) like the 2210, all VGA/landscape/square screen icons.

BTW, you can further fine-tune your memory consumption (and free up some 434 kbytes for example if you don't plan to record/play MP3's) even after that; please read http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=new_tips_for_resco_audio_recorder_users&more=1 on this.

How much free space do you have in your iPAQ File Store? I'm absolutely sure you can install version 3.21 right in there (I used CabInstl to do so) - I've tested it to be sure.

maikii
02-12-2006, 07:02 PM
What about the \Skins folder? Can that be deleted?

So-Speex uses the OGG DLL?

Thanks again, Werner.

Menneisyys
02-12-2006, 07:20 PM
What about the \Skins folder? Can that be deleted?

Nope, the unnecessary skins (for example, landscape skins on a WM2003 device, VGA skins on a QVGA device etc) are auto-deleted from there during the first run.

So-Speex uses the OGG DLL?

Yes.

maikii
02-13-2006, 01:44 AM
Still testing out this app. Thanks again for all your info, Menneisys!

I was able to install in the IPAQ File Store, after moving everything on it to the CF card, formatting the file store as you suggested for defragmenting it, then installing Resco Audio to it. (Later, I was able to move my other files back to the store.)

I'm still having problems wtih the scheduling though. As mentioned, I did the wakeup tweak thing.

For instance, I tested it today, by scheduling a few recording sessions, each 5 minutes long, with 10-15 minutes in between the recording sessions.

It seemed to record only every other one. There was a file created for all the sessions, but it was 0 or 1 kb, with nothing in it. In other words, the first scheduled session was recorded, the second was not, the third recorded, etc. Any idea what is going on?

One thing I don't think you commented on, and I don't recall seeing in your articles--when recording to a memory card, do you recommend using the option to "prepare file first", or whatever that says. If so, what number should one put there--does one have to actually calculate the final file size, based on time and bit rate?

Also, after setting the scheduling in the app, better to leave the app running, or exit from it, and let scheduler open it again when it is time to record?

Thanks again.

Menneisyys
02-13-2006, 07:24 AM
It seemed to record only every other one. There was a file created for all the sessions, but it was 0 or 1 kb, with nothing in it. In other words, the first scheduled session was recorded, the second was not, the third recorded, etc. Any idea what is going on?

This may be related to the app recording to slow-to-awake memory cards. Try recording to the main memory from scheduled wakeups.

maikii
02-17-2006, 10:37 AM
This may be related to the app recording to slow-to-awake memory cards. Try recording to the main memory from scheduled wakeups.

Well, with the small amounbt of main memory in the IPAQ 2210, one cannot really record much sound to main memory.

The card I was recording to is a 2 GB Kingston CF card. Would that be considered "slow-to-awake"? Does SD wake faster than CF?

Menneisyys
02-17-2006, 10:42 AM

Well, with the small amounbt of main memory in the IPAQ 2210, one cannot really record much sound to main memory.

The card I was recording to is a 2 GB Kingston CF card. Would that be considered "slow-to-awake"? Does SD wake faster than CF?

All memory cards are slow to awake, regardless of their brand/type.

I'll make some explicit benchmarks/testing on this when I have some time and, then, I report the PPC community (and developers of scheduled recording-capable sound recorder apps).

maikii
02-17-2006, 05:54 PM

All memory cards are slow to awake, regardless of their brand/type.

I'll make some explicit benchmarks/testing on this when I have some time and, then, I report the PPC community (and developers of scheduled recording-capable sound recorder apps).

Does that include the memory cards that are advertised as being "faster" than normal (50X, etc.)? (I assume that means faster to write to.) Are they just as slow to wake up?

Yes, if getting the scheduled recording to work right not only necessitates installing the program to main memory (or file store), but can record only to main memory as well, that greatly limits recording time, making the scheduling feature not very useful.

Menneisyys
02-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Does that include the memory cards that are advertised as being "faster" than normal (50 X, etc.)? (I assume that means faster to write to.) Are they just as slow to wake up?

Yes, it seems. I'll test it some time.