View Full Version : Flight mode? on and off?

leebrendalee
01-30-2006, 11:14 PM
on my hp2490, there's a thing that says turn on flight mode or turn off flight mode. any idea what that means? I haven't been able to connect to anything wirelessly except for mine so far..I tried one place yesterday.it found "hotspot" but it didn't connect to it..

Mark Kenepp
01-31-2006, 12:05 AM
"Flight mode" would be used when you are on a commercial airliner. It would turn off all the radio components of your handheld, thus making it safe for use in an airplane.

I can't give you much advice on connecting to other wireless access points but I would suspect that many of the "hotspots" you would come across are secure. Even if the access point does not require a password, it may have some authentication requirement.

I have only attempted to attach to three different "free" wifi hotspots.

The first was at Pac Bell Park (now SBC) which required me to install software on my handheld before it would connect.

The second was in the atrium in my office building, it worked with out any intervention from me.

The third was at my local pub, which asked me to enter my name, address and phone number at which point I decided that I really do not need to access the Internet while I am out drinking beer.

I would say that if you successfully connected to your own wireless access point then you have completed more than half the battle.

Cybrid
01-31-2006, 12:12 AM
on my hp2490, there's a thing that says turn on flight mode or turn off flight mode. any idea what that means? I haven't been able to connect to anything wirelessly except for mine so far..I tried one place yesterday.it found "hotspot" but it didn't connect to it..
Flight mode on=radio off, flight mode off=radio is on or capable of being on. In areas where radio transmission could have adverse effects you canm use flight mode to turn it off.

You can detect hotspots from further than you can actually successfully connect to them. See if there was a Starbucks, Blenz or other such establishment near where you detected it.

leebrendalee
01-31-2006, 11:49 PM
interesting..so just best to leave flight mode off all the time really..

I work download vancouver, bc..you would think there would be "more" hotspotss..good grief..well I found one ...but u need to pay big bucks to connection. I'm like the other guy....at the pub...I'm not that anxious to check my email...especiially since i'm in front of a computer all day with email at my beck and call..LOL< I just want to be ableeeeeee to ......just incase..and because it's cool..

this thing picks up a lottttttt..just can't wait to test it on the road....gotta wait until i have a free min

Mark Kenepp
02-01-2006, 01:24 AM
interesting..so just best to leave flight mode off all the time really..

With the radio signals on, there will be more battery drain. I usually keep bluetooth on my device turned off and since I have an external Wireless card for my 2215, my wireless is never on unless I insert the card. With the wireless card in, it sucks a lot of battery power but I would assume that most of that is because it is a CF card. Yours will probably not use as much battery power to keep the radio on but I would suspect that it would be a noticeable amount.

Sincerely,

"The other guy...at the pub" :beer:

Cybrid
02-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I work download vancouver, bc..Um.... not sure what you meant. Downtown? Downtown is rife with AP's. Gerard logged 26 on Granville, only 5 were secure.