View Full Version : Techno-Tard Needs Help!

beekrock
01-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Hello! My new job requires me to get a Pocket PC, but I know almost nothing about the different brands, connections, etc.

My only necessities are:

1. I need to be able to view web pages the way that they are seen on a home PC (even though it may require horizontal scrolling).

2. I need to have a static IP address.

My question is; when I go to the store, what do I ask for? What kind of connection should I ask for? ANY advice would be SO appreciated!

Cybrid
01-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Hello! My new job requires me to get a Pocket PC, but I know almost nothing about the different brands, connections, etc.

My only necessities are:

1. I need to be able to view web pages the way that they are seen on a home PC (even though it may require horizontal scrolling).

2. I need to have a static IP address.

My question is; when I go to the store, what do I ask for? What kind of connection should I ask for? ANY advice would be SO appreciated!
1.) The Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) is very limited...Not everything works.Supply an example website.
2.) Static IP is a simple enough setting. The connection is more important.
Wireless-needs WiFi router + broadband internet access. Home only (Static IP...)
Cellular-access anywhere but expensive.

Some details might make advising you easier. :)

beekrock
01-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Thank you, Cybrid! One website that I must be able to access is www.12DailyPro.com. I would need to be able to access this site with a static IP from wherever I am (home, vacation, etc.). I wasn't sure if it was even possible to have a static IP while accessing the internet from different states or cities. Would my best bet be to opt for the Wi-Fi & braodband? Thanks again!

Cybrid
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Thank you, Cybrid! One website that I must be able to access is www.12DailyPro.com. I would need to be able to access this site with a static IP from wherever I am (home, vacation, etc.). I wasn't sure if it was even possible to have a static IP while accessing the internet from different states or cities. Would my best bet be to opt for the Wi-Fi & braodband? Thanks again!Static IP must be the way they track you.....That will mean you'll need to do this using broadband. Going next door/vacation would change your address...:) You'd end up with a different static ip....

Does it have to be one unchanged ip the whole time? Very expensive!

Or once you log in with that ip, you're ok until your ip changes then you'll need to log in again?

beekrock
01-30-2006, 10:00 PM
The one website that I am involved with needs to make sure that I have only one account with them. To ensure this, they check my IP. If I were to login to their site from a library or internet cafe, there is a chance that someone else there also has an account with them and both of us would be banned. Some members of the site are dial-up users whose IP changes every time they login, but somehow that's OK. To have a static IP everywhere I go would keep me completely safe, unless there is an alternative that I'm unaware of. How expensive are we talking for the unchanged IP? Thanks again!

Cybrid
01-30-2006, 11:32 PM
The one website that I am involved with needs to make sure that I have only one account with them. To ensure this, they check my IP. If I were to login to their site from a library or internet cafe, there is a chance that someone else there also has an account with them and both of us would be banned. Some members of the site are dial-up users whose IP changes every time they login, but somehow that's OK. To have a static IP everywhere I go would keep me completely safe, unless there is an alternative that I'm unaware of. How expensive are we talking for the unchanged IP? Thanks again!Basically depends on your ISP. For a completely static IP (needed to run a server) I was quoted 3x the original internet access price $(24.95CDN for hi-speed, $70+ for Static server IP). Even that is no help to you from other locations.

You should be ok from other locations as it appears the your IP only needs to be static for that specific session....like dialup users.

The odds that you'd run into a fellow member in a hotspot are there but slim. You could risk it.

beekrock
01-31-2006, 05:02 AM
Cybrid, I can't thank you enough for your replies! You've saved me hours of research!

According to the Terms and Conditions of the site, members cannot EVER use the same IP, even if it is at a later date. For example, if member A uses a given IP at a library and then member B uses that IP a week later at the same library, it violates their policy. I'm also dealing in a very high cash-flow, so I'm really concerned about the risk.

I should note that I am a T-Mobile dealer and I am able to get almost everything discounted, but I'm unsure if they'd give me a discount on this kind of stuff.

You've helped me out so much already, so I'll just ask one last thing; If I were to just risk it, what would I ask for at the T-Mobile store? What kind of connection?

Thanks again!

Cybrid
01-31-2006, 12:15 PM
According to the Terms and Conditions of the site, members cannot EVER use the same IP, even if it is at a later date. For example, if member A uses a given IP at a library and then member B uses that IP a week later at the same library, it violates their policy. I'm also dealing in a very high cash-flow, so I'm really concerned about the risk! That's ludicrous! IP addresses even broadband ones are recycled.....Every time a modem connects it gets a new ip. Same applies to broadband. Unduplicated ip's are an impossibility especially if part of the business is in referrals. Sooner or later your neighbors are going to be on that same ip.....but whatever.....:confused:

Call the T-Mobile data support services, ask them if they use static IPs for their cellular data services. If not...don't proceed.

Using public WiFi, is out of the question.

You are probably stuck to using it at home over broadband. In which case a laptop would be better anyway.

Sven Johannsen
01-31-2006, 11:30 PM
You cannot have a static IP that follows you around. Wherever you are the IP comes from a pool of addresses that are within and authorized for the portion of the network you are joining. If you are accessing via a T-Mobile Hotspot, they have assigned address spaces. Earthlink has others, as do MSN, etc. On a single network, you can be provided a static Address that could allow you to move to a different port on that same network, but not just anywhere.

While it is a bit different now, think about how phones used to work. If you had a phone with a 719 area code and 123 prefix you couldn't get to that number in a different area code, etc. The routing system assumes all the 719s are in the same area and the 123s in smaller area contained in 719. (I know we can do this sort of thing now, and it is not quite the same since it isn't really te phone that has the number, but the concept is quite similar)

Most providers have figured out how user names and login passwords work, to limit access. MAC addresses can also be used for identification, regardless of what network you are on. That is unique to the actual hardware you use to connect with. A PPC will have a (single) MAC address. This is incumbent on the provider though to read your MAC and set up provisions to allow or disallow it.