View Full Version : put a pocket pc in deep sleep mode (but not off/standby)

heov
01-29-2006, 12:53 AM
So I like to keep my Pocket PC on while I'm in class... wifi connected, AIM connected. I turn the screen off and set the speed to 100mhz and it lasts white a while. When I receive a new email or an IM, the LED flashes and I can check them, then turn the screen back on.

I've never used a Pocket PC Phone before, but I assume they can stay on all day while connected to the cell network, and probably enter some sort of deep sleep mode.

Is this possible w/ normal Pocket PCs? I basically want to be connected to WiFi all the time, but with the absolute MINIMUM power requirements so it can stay in such "standby" mode for hours on end.

Is this possible?

I do know that on my rx1950... wifi would sometimes NOT be turned off, and it would remain on while the unit was put into standby, but i could still receive msgs and stuff, i just had to turn it back on. The battery would of coruse drain, but much slower than as if I had just turned off the screen.

Of course this is regarded as a "bug," since when you turn it back on it tries to reconnect to the wifi, etc.

Any ideas?

Nurhisham Hussein
02-01-2006, 06:28 PM
I've never used a Pocket PC Phone before, but I assume they can stay on all day while connected to the cell network, and probably enter some sort of deep sleep mode.

Actually, this is precisely what standby mode on a normal Pocket PC does. The big difference here is that Pocket PC phones typically have batteries that have 50% more capacity. The other big difference is that the while the phone part stays on, it is also largely independent of the PDA part and its power hungry processor.

Is this possible w/ normal Pocket PCs? I basically want to be connected to WiFi all the time, but with the absolute MINIMUM power requirements so it can stay in such "standby" mode for hours on end.

Is this possible?

I think what you've done is the best available, though if your processor supports it, you can also go to Power saving mode as well, which would save some battery life. Unfortunately this also absolutely kills wifi reception.