View Full Version : Am i asking too much!

carlstep
01-27-2006, 12:31 AM
I've used PPC's for a few years now, though i'm currently without one as my last HP model was stolen. However, choosing a replacement is proving rather difficult.

I'm looking for a PPC that will provide me with all of the usual functionality (MS-Office/Outlook compatabilty) but also with enough memory to hold digital photo's (which i can back up directly from a camera via CF slot or USB cable) and also hold many MP3's.

MP3 players now exist with 30/40 and even 80GB, why can't PPC come with 20GB+!

Does such a product exist!
Is this the next generation!

Any thoughts!

stevenator65
01-27-2006, 04:05 AM
The only pda I know w/a built in hard drive is the life drive. Most people just buy a big CF card or CF sized hard drive.

Darius Wey
01-27-2006, 04:13 AM
Rumour is, we'll see a few HDD-equipped Pocket PCs this year.

The Samsung i300 and i300x Windows Mobile-based Smartphones have integrated HDDs, so I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before Pocket PCs jump in the same boat.

Patrick Y.
01-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Mp3 player such as ipod is VERY simple hardware with simple purpose and the only thing it really holds is the hard drive. For pocket pc, there are a lot of factors to consider when including the hard drive, such as battery life, weight, speed, price etc. Lifedrive, which has a microdrive, looks big and bulky compare to x50v. The device is also slow and crabby.

Just a thought.

pocketpcadmirer
01-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Lifedrive, which has a microdrive, looks big and bulky compare to x50v. The device is also slow and crabby.

If an ipod mini can do it and can still be avaliable for cheap, then, I think pocket pcs with built-in hdds can prove to be successuful,if engineered correctly(the way apple does). Palm is a very light OS as compared to WM. I was flumoxxed to see that my friend's LD was slower than my magician. Looks like some tweaks need to be done to handle the hdd efficiently. Lets see how WM handles this :?:

**edit:correction made

Sunny

whydidnt
01-29-2006, 06:08 PM
The Nano has flash memory not a hard drive. The Lifedrive is dog slow because Palm cheaped out and didn't include enough Real RAM. They simply created a partition on the hard drive to load programs from.

I agree that their isn't a physical reason we couldn't see 4 GB flash memory in our PPC's. Even they super tiny 20-30 GB hard drives available could probably fit without increasing the size of the device very much.

I am extremely surprised that no PPC manufacturer has jumped in and tried to create a media centric device to compete with the PMP out there. Those devices have proven you can fit a lot in a small package.

pocketpcadmirer
01-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I am extremely surprised that no PPC manufacturer has jumped in and tried to create a media centric device to compete with the PMP out there. Those devices have proven you can fit a lot in a small package.

Even I am unable to figure that out. I think that if any manufacture does that then, who would buy portable media center devices :?:
Just a thought :lol:

Sunny

Guest979
01-29-2006, 06:41 PM
The Nano has flash memory not a hard drive. The Lifedrive is dog slow because Palm cheaped out and didn't include enough Real RAM. They simply created a partition on the hard drive to load programs from.

Right, but I think he was talking about the older iPod mini, which did use MicroDrives.

Note: Please don't turn this into another iPod bashing/anti-bashing thread. If you don't like them, you don't have to buy one. I like mine. :)

I'm not accusing anyone of bashing so far - this is just a general comment because I can feel the "thin ice" already.

pocketpcadmirer
01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Right, but I think he was talking about the older iPod mini, which did use MicroDrives.

By error, I had written nano. I've corrected that
**my friend just bought a nano and it was all over my mind and thus the stupid error

Sunny :wink:

Patrick Y.
01-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Lifedrive, which has a microdrive, looks big and bulky compare to x50v. The device is also slow and crabby.

If an ipod mini can do it and can still be avaliable for cheap, then, I think pocket pcs with built-in hdds can prove to be successuful,if engineered correctly(the way apple does). Palm is a very light OS as compared to WM. I was flumoxxed to see that my friend's LD was slower than my magician. Looks like some tweaks need to be done to handle the hdd efficiently. Lets see how WM handles this :?:

**edit:correction made

Sunny

As I said before, iPOD is a VERY simple hardware. It's a dedicated music player that does nothing else. I don't think you require much speed/power, etc. just to listen to music? Microdrive is slower and consumes much more power on PPC, which makes a BIG difference on PPC. Some people even said that they can hear the drive spinning on LD.

CowboyNinjaPirate
01-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Even I am unable to figure that out. I think that if any manufacture does that then, who would buy portable media center devices :?:
Just a thought :lol:

Sunny

I'm guessing that could be part of the reason we haven't seen larger storage in devices before now. I assume that new Pocket PC's have to have some kind of approval from microsoft who would presumable not want the PPC market to impinge on the PMC market too much...?