View Full Version : 3970 ROM 2k3 upgrade request

mhynek
01-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Thank you Darius for letting me know when HP took the option to upgrade from wm2000 to wm 2k3 away. Now that it is no longer available from the OEM, my question is this:

Is there anyone that would be willing to make a copy of their cd for me to download. I would really appreciate it. I know that there are people who make a living by selling products that are no longer available from the OEM, but I'm still a bit weary of them. I've seen prices on ebay of $2 for a downloadable version and $9 for the original cd. I've been burned on ebay before and am not willing to risk my Ipaq with just anybody. I trust this community because I've been reading Ppcthoughts everyday for the past 4 years. Yes, since before the server issue that wiped out the original boards. I know I don't post very often, but I use this site to educate myself as well as update myself on what is the most up to the minute news relating ppc's. Without this community, I firmly believe that I would not be as infatuated with my Ipaq as I am today. That said, is there anyone who would take pitty on a POOR soul and help me out? Please?

Darius Wey
01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Michael, this site does not condone the copying of upgrade CDs, so from here on, you will have to request the sale of a legitimate CD from someone who no longer wants theirs.

I know they're hard to find, but staying legit is the only path you can take to help avoid yourself and this site from getting in trouble.

mhynek
01-25-2006, 06:39 PM
You're right Darius. I do like to stay legit. I believe it protects everybody. I suppose I thought that if the product was no longer being produced or supported by the OEM, it would become it's own entity, free to be sold by owner or distributed freely by previous owners at their discretion. Now, I'm not a lawyer, and don't claim to know the law by any means. This is solely an opinion and point of view, albeit right or wrong. I won't solicit the community further. However, I am curious, what are the community's views on the distribution of a product that is no longer produced OR supported?

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
I would have to agree with Darius. This would keep the site(you too) safe. Nothing is illegal here.

**however, I think(I'm not a lawer too) that you may ask your friend having 39xx series for the ROM upgrade.
**otherwise, buy a second hand 55xx series pocket pc. It comes with windows mobile 2003

Sunny