View Full Version : Mac OS

Typhoon
01-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Can the Mac Os be bought for Intel computers now? I noticed that www.apple.com is selling some iMacs with the the Intel CPU.

Darius Wey
01-25-2006, 03:35 AM
No. It only ships with Intel-based Macs - for now. Of course, there are 1001 OS X on x86 projects, but I don't think we need to link to those. ;)

Typhoon
01-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Oh I see. I guess Apple wants to see how the market turns out for their Intel iMacs. How many of you would want to see the Mac OS X sold for IBM PCs?

Darius Wey
01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't think Apple has any intention to focus on the PC market. They seem bent on keeping their platform on their own hardware.

The day Mac OS X is legally sold for PCs will be the day hell freezes over. Of course, take all that with a grain of salt. Anything can happen. They moved to Intel, didn't they? ;)

Guest979
01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Oh I see. I guess Apple wants to see how the market turns out for their Intel iMacs. How many of you would want to see the Mac OS X sold for IBM PCs?

Here's one vote against Mac OS X on other brands. Other companies' machines usually lack the stability and elegance that Apple's computers have. Not only that, but my understanding is that Apple makes money on Macs, not the Mac OS, so if they only sell software, they will stop making money, and then there will be no more Mac OS at all. :(

Typhoon
01-25-2006, 09:46 PM
good reply

juni
01-26-2006, 07:00 AM
However: What if they had made MacOS as an OS for pcs like Windows from the start? Would they be as big as Microsoft now?

Typhoon
01-26-2006, 09:51 AM
However: What if they had made MacOS as an OS for pcs like Windows from the start? Would they be as big as Microsoft now?

Maybe. What allowed MS to get so big? Was it the increasing popularity of IBM compatibles? I think I remember this being the reason.

Fishie
01-26-2006, 04:37 PM

Here's one vote against Mac OS X on other brands. Other companies' machines usually lack the stability and elegance that Apple's computers have. Not only that, but my understanding is that Apple makes money on Macs, not the Mac OS, so if they only sell software, they will stop making money, and then there will be no more Mac OS at all. :(

One of the reasons it runs more stable is that there is npwhere near the amount of configurations in MAC computers then there is for Windows boxes.
Its a lot easier to make something stable if you dont have to account for thousands ad thousands of possible configurations.
And Apple makes a killing selling anual service packs at 99$ a pop.

Guest979
01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Although it is indeed difficult to account for multiple possible brands and configurations, if every configuration were 100% compliant to all the standards, then this would not affect stability.

So are you saying that Mac OS X works better partly because Apple doesn't allow people to use it on crummy machines? Why would that make Apple look bad?

And I *save* a killing by literally never needing support for my Macs.

Typhoon
01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
And Apple makes a killing selling anual service packs at 99$ a pop.

Sheez...I didn't know that.

Cybrid
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Although it is indeed difficult to account for multiple possible brands and configurations, if every configuration were 100% compliant to all the standards, then this would not affect stability.

So are you saying that Mac OS X works better partly because Apple doesn't allow people to use it on crummy machines? Why would that make Apple look bad?

And I *save* a killing by literally never needing support for my Macs.And to this I'd say you're doing nothing near half as exciting.

The idea that Mac's don't need any support is preposterous...Hit a few MacWorld forums or even Apple's driver and FAQ support.

I've had Windows machines run stable for years without support requests. Believe it or not My sisters Win ME laptop has run fine 3+ years. Dad's PIII ran 5 years until I broke it.....My PC needs restores nearly every 6 months....:D I like to tinker.. not always a good thing.

Fishie
01-26-2006, 09:41 PM

And I *save* a killing by literally never needing support for my Macs.

If MS did half the crappy things Apple did they would be sued up the wazoo.
One of the reasons they want locked boxes is because they can control EVERYTHING.

Guest979
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
The idea that Mac's don't need any support is preposterous...Hit a few MacWorld forums or even Apple's driver and FAQ support.

No, it's not preposterous. I said *I* have never needed support, and that is simply a fact, one you could not possibly have contrary information to, because you aren't me.

There are far more PC complaints out there than Mac complaints, even considering the marketshare proportion. Many IT supervisors prefer Macs because of their reliability.

This thread has become non-fact-based, and some of you are just being rude. I don't want to participate in a flame war, and if I have to I'll leave the site. How would you feel if someone came here and flooded the boards with messages about how the Palm OS is way better than PocketPC?

Macs CAN be used with PocketPCs, so this is not a good place to start another anti-Mac club. It seems to me that most people who "hate" Macs have never owned one, and are making stuff up based on their own prejudice.

Fishie
01-27-2006, 05:15 PM

No, it's not preposterous. I said *I* have never needed support, and that is simply a fact, one you could not possibly have contrary information to, because you aren't me.

There are far more PC complaints out there than Mac complaints, even considering the marketshare proportion. Many IT supervisors prefer Macs because of their reliability.

This thread has become non-fact-based, and some of you are just being rude. I don't want to participate in a flame war, and if I have to I'll leave the site. How would you feel if someone came here and flooded the boards with messages about how the Palm OS is way better than PocketPC?

Macs CAN be used with PocketPCs, so this is not a good place to start another anti-Mac club. It seems to me that most people who "hate" Macs have never owned one, and are making stuff up based on their own prejudice.

If you are taling about me, everything I did say is fact based.
And yes I own Apple products.

Janak Parekh
01-27-2006, 05:28 PM
OK, this thread has officially devolved into yet another OS flamewar with misinformation being tossed about. Since the original question has been answered, I believe there is no reason to continue this here, it's been discussed ad infinitum. If you want to continue on this thread, please visit comp.sys.mac.advocacy (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy?lnk=gschg).

Thread locked.

--janak