View Full Version : pdf reader or good html/image converter?

bleeder
01-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Anyone know some good freeware that will convert pdf files with images/diagrams into html? Or maybe just the whole doc into gif or jpeg?

Can't run the repligo converter on my PC so the reader is useless, pocketX doesn't open my pdf. Can't find cab files for clearvue or adobe, and I can't run active sync either.

So, html or images seems like a good idea to me. Gmail converted my pdf very well, except it doesnt keep images. I've tried a couple things, and even adobe's website doesnt convert it as good as gmail. I don't know how to do a batch conversion in photoshop, and I can't do 50 pages 1 at a time.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Menneisyys
01-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Anyone know some good freeware that will convert pdf files with images/diagrams into html? Or maybe just the whole doc into gif or jpeg?

Can't run the repligo converter on my PC so the reader is useless, pocketX doesn't open my pdf. Can't find cab files for clearvue or adobe, and I can't run active sync either.

So, html or images seems like a good idea to me. Gmail converted my pdf very well, except it doesnt keep images. I've tried a couple things, and even adobe's website doesnt convert it as good as gmail. I don't know how to do a batch conversion in photoshop, and I can't do 50 pages 1 at a time.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

I've tested all the available PDF -> other format converters some 2 years ago. None of them worked flawlessly with all the docs I've thrown them at - even the best of them had problems with mostly graphics. The only exception was RepliGo; therefore, I'd prefer it.

Menneisyys
01-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Can't find cab files for clearvue or adobe, and I can't run active sync either.

If you do have a working AS (a working PDA connection isn't needed), then, it's at c:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Adobe\arceARMen_usr.PPC_2577.CAB.

I've also uploaded it for you to http://www.winmobiletech.com/sekalaiset/Adobe20Cab.zip - feel free to get it.

pocketpcadmirer
01-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, I still prefer repligo. I love it. It retains almost everything and its fast too

**Adobe has not optimised their app for ppc devices
**even the new clearvue pdf is too slow for some proper use

Sunny

bleeder
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the cab file. I found adobe works fine, and it's not slow or anything like I've heard.

I just wish I could view my texts fit across 320 pixels in landscape...

My screen is about the size as what I have printed on paper with 4 pages per sheet and I can read it fine. I tried making images 320 pixels wide, but I couldnt get anything to render them well. Zooming in with adobe renders pretty good, but it's juuust at the unpleasnt point, where I can read everything but its not crisp. Lacking antialiasing (Even at decent zooms doesnt seem as crisp as it could be on this screen)? Just getting too small with a letter "e" for 4x4 pixels? Scrolling sucks, especially because it has to render one screen area at a time (Even though it takes <= a second, its a pain for looking at things)

If only gmail kept images in pdf conversion... It keeps everything looking the same.

I'd like to try repligo. But I take it the converter is only trial. When I ran it I got a blank window. I dont really like the "its free! but you have to buy our handy converter" anyway. Does it render more than a screen at once though?

They oughtta add get rid of these buttons on pda's and add an inch or two to the screen I'd say :devilboy:

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Does it render more than a screen at once though?

Yes, it does it in one go. It rendered a pdf file(a complex one) accurately and fast too

Sunny

bleeder
01-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Any idea's about why I can't run the repligo converter? (guessing due to my IE-less machine and they rely on it :(, or .NET or something?)
Any other way to create these files instead of repligo's software?

ctmagnus
01-26-2006, 02:56 AM
I was running RepliGo on a .net-less machine for a very long time, so that's likely not the issue. It may require IE, or some component of it, to run. I personally don't use IE but I haven't removed from the machine so it's hard to say.

Personally, I won't run Adobe Reader on my Pocket PC. 8MB cab files are just to huge for this platform, imo. 3MB is about the limit of the size of any single app that I'll install on any platform that's limited to 128MB or less of non-removable storage. I also won't run the latest version of Adobe Reader on the desktop due simply to code bloat. v5 of the software wasn't too bad imo, but v7 is just a serious case of bloatware.

haesslich
01-26-2006, 04:33 AM
I was running RepliGo on a .net-less machine for a very long time, so that's likely not the issue. It may require IE, or some component of it, to run. I personally don't use IE but I haven't removed from the machine so it's hard to say.

Personally, I won't run Adobe Reader on my Pocket PC. 8MB cab files are just to huge for this platform, imo. 3MB is about the limit of the size of any single app that I'll install on any platform that's limited to 128MB or less of non-removable storage. I also won't run the latest version of Adobe Reader on the desktop due simply to code bloat. v5 of the software wasn't too bad imo, but v7 is just a serious case of bloatware.

I've been using XPDFViewer for PocketPC to good effect - it's fast and small, and has most of the functionality Adobe Reader 2 had, without the massive 8+MB footprint that the latter had. It's worked better for me than ClearVue at any rate, which kept redrawing the WHOLE page every time I did anything - even if it was move over a little to the left or right, when it should've only needed to draw that section of the screen I was missing.

Ironically, Adobe Reader 7 for Windows, despite taking up more hard drive space, loads WAY faster for me than Adobe Reader 6 did... and almost as fast as 5, albeit with more junk in the form of plugins than I ever had to deal with previously. But at least it seems to perform better than the (supposedly) slimmed-down-for-PocketPC version.

Menneisyys
01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Ironically, Adobe Reader 7 for Windows, despite taking up more hard drive space, loads WAY faster for me than Adobe Reader 6 did...

There is a quick hack to speed up the loading of Acrobat 6 on the desktop; see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28689

Menneisyys
01-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Personally, I won't run Adobe Reader on my Pocket PC. 8MB cab files are just to huge for this platform, imo. 3MB is about the limit of the size of any single app that I'll install on any platform that's limited to 128MB or less of non-removable storage.

Please note that you can safely delete the \plugins directory in its entirety, thus freeing up some 2M unless you need some extra functionality like Adobe Forms. The same stands for the 500k PDF file the installer puts in \My Document. With this, you can reduce its (static) memory consumption to around 5M.

bleeder
01-26-2006, 07:50 PM
on the desktop I just use adobe 5. sometimes it says "blah blah, might not be able to view all the 'special features' in this pdf," but I've been through hundreds of pdfs and everything has always been how it should.

too bad not many choices on ppc for pdf viewers. any chance of postscript or anythign else?