View Full Version : Are there any keyboards for the rx1950?

iharkins
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
My missus has just bought an rx1950 and is looking for a (foldable?) keyboard to use with it. Does anyone know of any suitable products? Also, will she need to install a driver for Windows Mobile 5.0 to be able to use it?

javascript:emoticon(':?:')
Question

Darius Wey
01-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

Have a look at this thread: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45470

It's in relation to portable keyboards for a Dell Axim, but they're universal and can be used on most iPAQs. Of course, the key word there is "most". The rx1950 lacks Bluetooth (annoyingly), which cuts down on your choices significantly. You still have infrared though, so the Think Outside Stowaway Infrared Portable Keyboard can still be used on your device.

iharkins
01-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks Darius, for the reply and the welcome :)

From the list on that post I think there is only the Stowaway that would work for my missus. Even then I think she will only be able to use it once she has switched the rx1950 into landscape format, as I can't see how the IR sensor on the bottom of the PDA :!: will line up with the IR wand on the keyboard otherwise? :?

I did buy a very cheap 2nd-hand HP iPaq foldable keyboard for her, which the HP US site claims is compatible with the rx1950, but the keyboard isn't detected and I'm not sure if it's just incompatible or it's just that I'm missing the driver? Any ideas?

I reckon she might have to make do with the Stowaway IR keyboard if I can't find a better solution. I can't believe HP didn't include Bluetooth on the rx1950, especially these days! Insanity! :?

Darius Wey
01-24-2006, 04:29 AM
I did buy a very cheap 2nd-hand HP iPaq foldable keyboard for her, which the HP US site claims is compatible with the rx1950, but the keyboard isn't detected and I'm not sure if it's just incompatible or it's just that I'm missing the driver? Any ideas?

It could be a driver issue. Perhaps it doesn't support Windows Mobile 5.0.

On the other hand, Think Outside's Stowaway driver package has been updated to support Windows Mobile 5.0, so the IR keyboard should work with the rx1950. Your concerns over the orientation of the device are valid. If you wish to know a definite answer, it's best to contact Think Outside who have probably had experience with the rx1950 + IR keyboard package: http://www.thinkoutside.com/form_contact.html

iharkins
01-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Many thanks once again. I've contacted them.