View Full Version : Pda import from singapore -> uk .....Costs?

J273
01-22-2006, 08:20 PM
im looking to by a dopod 818 pro that at the minute is only available in singapore all other places seem out of stock ,ive checked doml.co.uk there site and including delivery to the uk itll be £481.98 which is exc vat as its from singapore.

Does anyone now what sort of import costs / duty id be ikely to pay on this , will i be paying import duty + tax or is that all the same?

Thanks

Darius Wey
01-23-2006, 04:28 AM
Most countries implement a customs duty if Y% of an item's value, $X, exceeds a predetermined number. Some countries also have an additional import tax on top of that.

I know how Australia's works, but not the UK's, so I had to do a bit of digging around to find a good page which explains it all. Check this page (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&propertyType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_CL_001454) out.

SteveHoward999
01-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Also note that you can work around the tax (it can get heavy) if your supplier sends your item marked as a Gift. There is a standard customs form that gets stuck on the parcel ... it could be marked, for instance, "Electronic goods, Value $750" and you'd be liable for tax. Or it could be marked "Gift, Value $10" and you'd be liable for no tax. "Industrial Sample" is also another good option.

Note ... technically such a thing is naughty, but it is not uncommon. Many eBay sellers do this automatically. You better read this quick coz Darius might pull it ;-)

J273
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Great thanks alot guys ,much appreciated

Andy Whiteford
01-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Also note that you can work around the tax (it can get heavy) if your supplier sends your item marked as a Gift. There is a standard customs form that gets stuck on the parcel ... it could be marked, for instance, "Electronic goods, Value $750" and you'd be liable for tax. Or it could be marked "Gift, Value $10" and you'd be liable for no tax. "Industrial Sample" is also another good option.

Note ... technically such a thing is naughty, but it is not uncommon. Many eBay sellers do this automatically. You better read this quick coz Darius might pull it ;-)

This is a good option but beware that some companies will flat refuse to do this as you obviously cannot insure for the full amount although they may be happy to send it marked under value provided this is done at your risk i.e. if it goes missing in the post then they are not liable for it whereas by sending it and declaring it at the full value then it can be insured for the full value. Soemthing to think about.

airconvent
01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
yup...the 818 appear to be everywhere here...
you can get it at 236 pounds if you sign on a 2 year mobile contract...
but its not just the 818...all the Dopods as well as the O2 Atom appear to be very hot at the moment...
I am not aware of any online stores here selling electronic products...which one are you referring to?
If you have friends here on hoilday, you can ask them to buy it back for you instead...the main local IT Mall here is Sim Lim Square..
cheers

airconvent
02-02-2006, 06:28 PM
hi j273,
did you manage to get your dopod?
just a word of advice...do exercise caution if you are dealing with individuals.
online, you can never tell if they are genuine sellers unless they have some good rating on some buy-sell forums...
stick to the established online stores...

J273
02-03-2006, 10:38 PM
No i never botherd to get the dopod from doml as i know someone from the uk who got 1 from these guys and it came to £575 inc import which is a little too much ,Ive orderd a Jammin from expansys so hopefully ill recieve it tommorow :D

Anyways thanks for the help / info guys :wink: