View Full Version : No Matter How Much I Like Audible Content, They Just Keep Making It Easier To Hate Them!

Ed Hansberry
01-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I have been an Audible.com user since 1999, listening mostly to their daily Wall Street Journal subscription, but I have occasionally purchased books as well. Every year it seems their software gets worse, and it is so bad now on the Windows Mobile side of things I don't even use my Pocket PC for Audible content but a dedicated MP3 player that has Audible software burned in the ROM. Their desktop software is still the pits, written by someone that clearly does not use Windows and has no clue how the UI works. And, it crashed again yesterday. :roll: <br /><br /> :soapbox: Their most recent attempt to twerk me off to no end involves calling my phone, letting it ring two times and then hanging up! I had no idea who/what 1-800-258-0261 belonged to. So, today, I hit redial and talked to Juan, who was very excited to offer me a deal before I cut him off and asked him to remove my phone number for all of their marketing databases. And since doing that, they have called me no less than three more times!<br /><br />What is wrong with people? What in the world, besides hitting the bong a little early in the day, would possess some marketing genius at Audible to sit around in a meeting and go "Ok, let's cull the phone numbers from our users, which we require them to enter in the system because they use credit cards, set up an automatic dialer so ring their phones 2-3 times and hang up at random hours. (They have nailed me personally at 2pm, 7pm, 9pm and various other random times during the day.) Then, they will call us back, excited to hear our new special!"<br /><br />Audible, you just made up my mind about a trip I have coming up in a few weeks. Instead of my normal routine of perusing your site and buying something both my wife and I will be interested in, I'll be perusing podcast directories. I would sooner listen to AM radio that was 50% static. I would rather listen to my tires for four hours (I actually have nice sounding tires) than buy another book from you if the reward is being pestered as I have been this month on Jan 5th, 6th, 18th, 19th 20th, and 21st. Talk about that in your next marketing meeting.<br /><br />And for those of you thinking about buying from Audible, be on the look out for that mysterious call from 1-800-258-0261. They will have a <i>sweet</i> deal for you! :?

bystander
01-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Ed,

We can definitely feel your pain caused by Audible.

If you are called again (their nickel), you should begin to interrogate the person with detailed questions such as what is your name, your badge number, your location, etc and then at the end of the longest call that you can tolerate, tell them that you are gathering info for the report you are preparing pursuant to the Federal Trade Commission and your state Attorney General's guidelines for telemarketers who violate federal guidelines (the No-Call List provisions).

Tell him that his company and he is potentially liable for the $10,000 per call that is made since you requested them to remove your phone from all databases on ----- 2005.

Then ask to speak to his supervisor and run the routine again.

This should get their attention but they really are a stupid lot so it might take one more bump up to that person's supervisor.

Best of luck.

:!:

Rod3
01-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, I'll be derned! I don't have caller ID, but I'll bet anything that's the dadblasted call I get three or four times every day at about the same time. Just a hangup from the answering machine. And I was blaming my evil sister-in-law! :devilboy:

tregnier
01-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Perhaps if everyone on PPCT called the 800 number every day for a week, complaining about their customer calling, they might hear us.

On a similar subject, I have been getting unsolicited fax, advertising everything from trips to mortgages. There is a federal law against sending unsolicited faxes. The last one included a form that I had the option to fax back to them at an 800 number. I have been faxing them from my PC a text file of The Art of War everyday. I hope they enjoy reading it.

WorksForTurkeys
01-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Perhaps if everyone on PPCT called the 800 number every day for a week, complaining about their customer calling, they might hear us.

I feel so validated to read that I'm not the only one disgusted with Audible's behavior, but I don't think that calling their number to complain will help much as one of my chief complaints about them is that no one there ever seems to answer their phones.

Isaac
01-22-2006, 09:36 PM
If you want to be happy with Audible, u gotta use iTunes and an iPod and forget using their crappy software...

tregnier
01-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I feel so validated to read that I'm not the only one disgusted with Audible's behavior, but I don't think that calling their number to complain will help much as one of my chief complaints about them is that no one there ever seems to answer their phones.

Somebody will ALWAYS answer the inbound sales 800 number.

tregnier
01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
I've changed books...they may be tired of the Art of War. I've moved on to a wonderful html rendition of Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace.

callmemoe
01-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Ed,

We can definitely feel your pain caused by Audible.

If you are called again (their nickel), you should begin to interrogate the person with detailed questions such as what is your name, your badge number, your location, etc and then at the end of the longest call that you can tolerate, tell them that you are gathering info for the report you are preparing pursuant to the Federal Trade Commission and your state Attorney General's guidelines for telemarketers who violate federal guidelines (the No-Call List provisions).

Tell him that his company and he is potentially liable for the $10,000 per call that is made since you requested them to remove your phone from all databases on ----- 2005.

Then ask to speak to his supervisor and run the routine again.

This should get their attention but they really are a stupid lot so it might take one more bump up to that person's supervisor.

Best of luck.

:!:

I don't know that this would work. If I understand correctly, the No-Call List does not prevent telemarketing calls from companies with whom you have a business relationship with so having a membership with Audible may not be covered by this. Especially if their membership agreement includes such calls.

msafi
01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
If you want to be happy with Audible, u gotta use iTunes and an iPod and forget using their crappy software...
you are right, but is it really worth buying an ipod and carrying an extra device just to listen to audible.com when your pocket-pc "should" support their .aa files in the first place?

i don't like their WM5 player. its heavy on the processor and i can't play games while listening...but i have no choice.

Pinnacle
01-22-2006, 10:21 PM
I've been an Audible listener for years, as well. I haven't encountered any telemarketing calls from them, and I'd be hating that if it happened.

I've got to chime in about their software, though. It's gotten nothing but better, IMHO. I'm actually listening to a book as I'm writing this on my Treo 700w. The books are crystal clear; the device software is much, MUCH, more stable and easy to run than a few years back; and the activation and transfer of books to my device seem flawless.

I don't know...I'm pretty satisfied with Audible on WM devices I've used the past year, or so.

My only gripe is that I've been on the $13.95/month for two free books plan for the past several years. I got a letter from Audible's CEO about 4 weeks ago asking me to up my charge to $22.95/month for the same services, basically. I have the option to email him and tell him that I refuse the rate increase, but they were selling me big time on the increased $ I should be paying them.

MitchellO
01-22-2006, 10:46 PM
I use iTunes and my iPod for Audible and it has worked fine for me.

organon
01-22-2006, 10:53 PM
My only gripe is that I've been on the $13.95/month for two free books plan for the past several years. I got a letter from Audible's CEO about 4 weeks ago asking me to up my charge to $22.95/month for the same services, basically. I have the option to email him and tell him that I refuse the rate increase, but they were selling me big time on the increased $ I should be paying them.Yeah, I got that nice letter (and retractable headphones), as well. I just chose to ignore it completely. If they decide to up my price by $9, then I suppose I'll just cancel my subscription. I've loved just about everything about Audible since day 1, but I can't see how my Audible "Light" Listener subscription, initially $11.95 a month, can somehow need to be raised to $13.95 in a couple years and then nearly doubled a couple years later. Especially given my "loyalty." We'll see.

As for telemarketing calls, I'm not sure, but I'm probably geting them, as well. We've had ton sof calls/hangups lately. I don't have any form of caller id on my landline, but I bet that is what it is.

Incidentally, does anyone have the old 5-book / month plan??? It was $19.95 when Audible launched and I toyed with the idea of getting it. I wonder now that there is no comparable plan and even the whimpy play is $22.95, what Audible is doing with these customers? Does anyone still have this plan??

Paul

ianbjor
01-22-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm using iTunes / iPod for Audible content and have been very happy, too (and, on my Mac). The best thing Audible has done lately is to add RSS / Podcast feeds for subscriptions - I don't have to do anything and my Audible subscriptions just show up in iTunes automatically.

I agree, though, the Windows software and PPC software was crappy. I was all too happy to switch to an iPod when I got one a couple of years back.

dma1965
01-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I once swore I would never use an iPod as long as I had a Pocket PC, but the iPod and iTunes combo is so much better at music, podcasts, and audio books than a Pocket PC, I gladly carry the two devices. Besides, I can carry my entire music, video, and podcast library with me on my iPod Video. Try that with a Pocket PC :devilboy:

Gerard
01-22-2006, 11:45 PM
While not as 'clean' a solution as an iPod, any of a number of small, cheap (typically 1/3 to 1/4 the price of an equal capacity iPod) external hard drives can run connected to any of the several USB-enabled Pocket PCs. I've got a 40GB 'Comstar' branded drive, really small. Plugged into 4 'AA' batteries via the split USB cable that came with it, the drive runs just fine on my e800. Total cost of Toshiba e800 with USB 'Presentation Pack', 40GB hard drive, battery pack and a 5volt AC USB adapter for around the house? About USD$370, roughly the same as for an equivalent iPod, only it's a computer, which just happens to play audio and video rather well, in addition to all the many other chores for which I use it.

Just responding to the 'try that with a Pocket PC' comment. Like I said, not as clean a solution as an iPod... but with more flexibility.

Ed Hansberry
01-22-2006, 11:46 PM
I don't know that this would work. If I understand correctly, the No-Call List does not prevent telemarketing calls from companies with whom you have a business relationship with so having a membership with Audible may not be covered by this. Especially if their membership agreement includes such calls.
Not according to http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/ - they can call, but if you ask to be removed, you must be removed. This will be my next course of action if the calls continue.

In addition to complaints alleging violations of the national do-not-call list, you may also file a complaint against a telemarketer who is calling for a commercial purpose (e.g., not charitable organizations) IF:

• The telemarketer calls before 8 AM or after 9 PM; OR
• The telemarketer leaves a message, but fails to leave a phone number that you can call to sign up for their company specific do-not-call list; OR
• You receive a telemarketing call from a company that you have previously requested not call you; OR
• The telemarketing firm fails to identify itself; OR
• You receive a pre-recorded commercial message from someone with whom you do not have an established business relationship and to whom you have not given permission to call you.

They are also outright violating the identification. THey are calling and hanging up, leaving no message. You have to call the number to find out who it is.

Paragon
01-23-2006, 12:38 AM
I've been an Audible listener for years, as well. I haven't encountered any telemarketing calls from them, and I'd be hating that if it happened.

I've got to chime in about their software, though. It's gotten nothing but better, IMHO. I'm actually listening to a book as I'm writing this on my Treo 700w. The books are crystal clear; the device software is much, MUCH, more stable and easy to run than a few years back; and the activation and transfer of books to my device seem flawless.

I don't know...I'm pretty satisfied with Audible on WM devices I've used the past year, or so.

I agree with you Pinnacle. I use Audible almost every day of my life. Most work days I listen for several hours. I have zero problems with the PPC sofdtware. I only use the desktop software to download from Audible. From there I just copy the complete fill to a storage card. Everything works fine. In fact a 80mb file opens in a fraction of a second on the device. Their software has come a long way. It is now very stable and usable. It used to be that if my wife heard me say the word Audible she would take the kids and leave the house, because she knew there was a huge verbal onslaught about to happen. Now it's safe for everyone to stay home.

I have two memberships at $19.95 a month for two books each. I would love to have that 5 book membership. :way to go:

I would be very upset to get the calls that Ed is receiving. Luckily I have not received a single call from them.

Dave

Nurhisham Hussein
01-23-2006, 01:04 AM
I had the 5-book deal, and got the same letter as many of you had. I sent in a e-mail query about it, and got a very obtuse reply that I had to read a few times before I understood it, but the upshot of which is that once the membership plan was due for renewal, it'd be canceled and you have to migrate to one of the new ones.

In other words, as I understood it, none of the old plans will be valid after the rollover date. Since they started this more than a month ago, I'd imagine there's a few people with canceled plans who don't know about it yet. I'm not terribly happy about this, but since I can barely keep up with 2 books a month, I was willing to let it slide. These calls though are something else, and has me worried. Luckily, since I'm overseas, they haven't seemed to have bothered calling me - but to me it's more an indicator of how well they're willing to protect my privacy, or rather how poorly.

One thing I'd note though, is that I agree with Pinnacle - their software has gotten better over the years. Far more stable, better features, both on PC and PPC. The problem is the update applet doesn't pick up on the improvements for either desktop or mobile, but especially for the WM program, and it's undocumented anywhere. I've got custom skins for mine, but good luck finding out how unless you're willing to go through the registry.

armwood
01-23-2006, 01:44 AM
I have been using Audible for about six years. I presently use it on my Thinkpad T40, my iPaq 6315 and my MPX220 smartphone. I have not had any problems with the software on any of the devoces. I have not received any solicitation calls either.

Matilda444
01-23-2006, 01:57 AM
I've been an Audible customer for over ten years now, going back to before the PocketPC. I have three accounts and (knocking on wood) have not received "the call". I must chime in as to their "improvements" which I find to be no improvement at all.

SteveHoward999
01-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Ahh the great American marketing campain.

Moving sideways a little...

Over here (for the benefit of those not on American soil) the favourite trick is to call your number using some computer gadgetery. The computer waits about two or three seconds after you pick up the phone before either a human starts talking to you or (worse) a pre-recorded message begins. If you pick up the phone and say nothing they just go away. It's particularly funny when it is a human on the other end ... "Oh, er, sorry, er, &lt;cough>, wrong number" has emanated from my phone a few times.

Usually I just 'listen' for silence and put the phone down straight away. it;s bad enough that they interrupt my work (I work from home) but worse that they use these insulting techniques and still expect us to buy stuff after enduring their hard-sell.

I know - I'm so un-American the way I hate to be marketed at. Thank you for the compliment ;-)

callmemoe
01-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Not according to http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/ - they can call, but if you ask to be removed, you must be removed. This will be my next course of action if the calls continue.

In addition to complaints alleging violations of the national do-not-call list, you may also file a complaint against a telemarketer who is calling for a commercial purpose (e.g., not charitable organizations) IF:

• The telemarketer calls before 8 AM or after 9 PM; OR
• The telemarketer leaves a message, but fails to leave a phone number that you can call to sign up for their company specific do-not-call list; OR
• You receive a telemarketing call from a company that you have previously requested not call you; OR
• The telemarketing firm fails to identify itself; OR
• You receive a pre-recorded commercial message from someone with whom you do not have an established business relationship and to whom you have not given permission to call you.

They are also outright violating the identification. THey are calling and hanging up, leaving no message. You have to call the number to find out who it is.

I will keep that in mind then. Thanks for the info.

szamot
01-23-2006, 04:18 AM
I've changed books...they may be tired of the Art of War. I've moved on to a wonderful html rendition of Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace.

but aren't those books copy right protected and if so are you not then sending them illegal copies of the said works. Just a thought.

Gerard
01-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Uh, no, I think both those titles are just a little out of copyright... or a lot. Long, long-dead authors, if I'm not mistaken.

jpmcousin
01-23-2006, 05:12 AM
I have been a member since 1999. I like the ppc software more than the Ipod version where I would regularly lose me place. I have had no problems with the latest ppc version. No marketing calls.

signothefish
01-23-2006, 05:21 AM
I know - I'm so un-American the way I hate to be marketed at. Thank you for the compliment ;-)

Most Americans hate to be marketed at, particularly this type of "marketing". Ever since I saw that "...sign up for 1 year at Audible.com and get $100 off..." at a few of the websites I visit, it was obvious to me this was a company to stay away from. Caveat Emptor. :evil:

TheMouseMan
01-23-2006, 06:48 AM
I believe the biggest mistake made was not actually in their so-called marketing strategy. Where they really messed up was when they started harassing Ed - for G..'s sake, don't be so stupid to upset an editor of a PPC site... They are really asking for trouble :twisted:

Maybe someone should send the CEO and/or Director of Marketing a link to this thread - would just love to see their faces when discovering the 'interest' generated in their company :lol:

- TheMouseMan

msantoso
01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
errr, how many of you here convert .aa to mp3?

i know it's copyrighted but what if it's strictly for personal use

sometimes i want to hear it through my home audio system, or maybe in car stereo or just ipod

and in mp3 format you can cut into several pieces so when you're in mp3 player that does not have bookmark feature, it's really useful

or even you can convert to .m4b for your ipod if you want

ChristopherTD
01-23-2006, 09:58 AM
A couple of days ago I started to get similar calls, on my mobile in the middle of the night (I live in England).

When I get home I will have to check if my Audible account contains my mobile phone number, they may be the miscreants that have woken me up several times (now I turn the phone into Flight Mode at night).

Theo
01-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Ok on the alternative listening front - try

Ancestor and Earthcore from http://scottsigler.podshow.com/. I'm already hooked on on Earthcore - and am only up to chapter 6 - finding the time to listen is holding me back.

For those who wish to listen to to podcasts on their PPC then give FeederReader (http://www.feederreader.com/) a go. Make sure you sign up for the betas on the forums for the latest version.

Enjoy.

jlc, just jlc
01-23-2006, 01:56 PM
I have been an Audible.com user since 1999, listening mostly to their daily Wall Street Journal subscription, but I have occasionally purchased books as well. Every year it seems their software gets worse, and it is so bad now on the Windows Mobile side of things I don't even use my Pocket PC for Audible content but a dedicated MP3 player that has Audible software burned in the ROM. Their desktop software is still the pits, written by someone that clearly does not use Windows and has no clue how the UI works. And, it crashed again yesterday.

Hmm - use them on my iPOD - never tried them on my Palm or 700w. The iPOD stuff works well with iTunes on the PC; I mostly listen to Car Talk.

BTW - they seem to offer the get 3 free books for doing a no obligation trial - no CC so no calls, plus just cancel after you get what you want. It's a great way to augment a subscription.

jlc, just jlc
01-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Uh, no, I think both those titles are just a little out of copyright... or a lot. Long, long-dead authors, if I'm not mistaken.

Depends - the translations of teh Art of War may still be under copyright; especially the later ones.

dazz
01-23-2006, 04:08 PM

HA! What a hoot!!!!

kikicoelacanth
01-23-2006, 04:34 PM
I quit Audible when their marketing aims starting outweighing my reading/listening preferences. My local library started offering downloads, and though I have to switch them to MP3 to get them playing on all my devices, it's still *far* better.

I've also signed up for a CD rental system that's comparable in price to my old Audibled account, and I'll eager to see how that goes (if you're interested, it's the 1 at time plan at Simply Audio books (www.simplyaudiobooks.com))

MkH
01-23-2006, 07:27 PM
I've been a member for the last 5 years, and have enjoyed listening. Their software has improved since I first started listening but it could use updating again. 1.) Like what's with the backwards scrolling "Audio Program Title" on my PPC? 2.) Their desktop software also gets confused as to what capacity memory cards I have in my device. It only sees a portion of my 5GB or 8GB micro drive on my hx4700. Does it have a capacity limitation? 3.) I also have to click on the "Pocket PC 2002/2003" button to see what on the selected "Storage" device. Shouldn't that be automatic as to which storage device is selected? 4.) And when you delete a program off your device why doesn't the little Pie Chart reflect those changes in usable storage space?

Overall it's an Okay package. But when they start upping the price, harrassing their customers and neglecting the update requests, it's time to start check-out the competition.

Zagleft1
01-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I wonder if therein lies the problem. What competition is there? You'd think that with all the issues people have with Audible, some enterprising soul would take a stab at a comparable alternative, but I've never been able to find one.

Had to chuckle at MkH's comment about the backward title scroll. That drives me straight up the wall too.

Like Paragon, I NEVER open the Audible Manager program if I can avoid it. I just card reader copy the files from computer to PPC and they, at least in the current rendering, seem to work fine.

I'm on the original lite listener plan, but don't think I've ever received correspondence about being canceled, but all the signs of it coming are there, with references such as "legacy credits"..... the end is near.. :?

szamot
01-23-2006, 08:50 PM

Depends - the translations of teh Art of War may still be under copyright; especially the later ones.

You would find that anything and just about everthing that has been recorded in any way shape or form that was ever sold is copyrighted. Someone, owns the rights to "Happy Birthday to You" someone owns The Art of War.

Rob Borek
01-23-2006, 11:55 PM

You would find that anything and just about everthing that has been recorded in any way shape or form that was ever sold is copyrighted. Someone, owns the rights to "Happy Birthday to You" someone owns The Art of War.

Depends on the country. While "Happy Birthday to You" is still under copyright in the US, it's copyright expired a while back in Canada (where the copyright extends 50 years from the author's death or 50 years from the original copyright date). So, the first Mickey cartoons are out of copyright in Canada, along with all films before 1956, etc.

weisco
01-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I still really like Audible. I believe their software has improved (though not yet properly skinned for my new Cingular 2125 WM5.0 smartphone).

As a longtime member I also received "the letter" but ignored it--we'll see how it goes.

With the old plans like many of us have you can't begin to beat the price.

My local library has begun offering downloads but it sounds like too much of a pain. With Audible if I want it NOW, I can have it NOW, not wait up to six weeks or more for the previous borrowers borrow period (and those waiting before me) to expire.

Ed had some great workarounds for my HP6315 but in the end I got fed up with the HP's horrid reliability. Talk about bugs--for those upset with Audible live with a HP6315 (or with exchanges, four).

jlc, just jlc
01-24-2006, 02:04 AM

I'm pretty sure Sun Tzu's copyright on the original Chinese version has long since lapsed; translations however would belong to the author. Some of those have lapsed as well, IFAIR.

JTWise
01-24-2006, 10:49 PM
I am a lightlistener since the service started and I received the infamous letter last month. I see no real benefit to "upgrading" my account. They could have at least offered us the free MP3 player deal that a new user gets !! I have not emailed them yet. If I could find an alternative to their daily WSJ 50 minute top stories, I would probably just cancel my sub completely. I have enough weekly podcasts I listen to so losing the books would not be a big deal.

Does anyone know of a good news/world events podcast or a similar WSJ audio program (paid subs would be fine)?

keiffer
01-25-2006, 03:08 AM
errr, how many of you here convert .aa to mp3?

i know it's copyrighted but what if it's strictly for personal use

sometimes i want to hear it through my home audio system, or maybe in car stereo or just ipod

and in mp3 format you can cut into several pieces so when you're in mp3 player that does not have bookmark feature, it's really useful

or even you can convert to .m4b for your ipod if you want

There's a long post on the conversion from aa to mp3 at:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/103313

I use Goldwave and then a free MP3 splitter.

I've been getting the 5 books a month for $29.95. When I get the letter to change plans, I probably will cancel my membership. I still have a lot of books I haven't listened to yet.

I've alway had problems with Audible Manager. I couldn't even download books. It turned out to be another program running in the background, Macro Magic. So, I now close all the programs I can before downloading. I then run Goldwave and don't have to deal with Audible Manager till the next month.

Keith

MasterOfMoo
01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
My only gripe is that I've been on the $13.95/month for two free books plan for the past several years. I got a letter from Audible's CEO about 4 weeks ago asking me to up my charge to $22.95/month for the same services, basically...

Similar arrangement here - I've been on the 2 for $16.95 for years and my biggest gripe is that they want me to pay more for what is now a "standard" feature of credit rollovers. I've been using the "My Next Listen" option recently for those occassions where I just didn't pay attention to the date and missed a month of selections (or just couldn't settle on a book).

That's a big item on my to-do list... Call and fight for my rollover credits without paying more for the "standard"

alanjrobertson
01-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Over here (for the benefit of those not on American soil) the favourite trick is to call your number using some computer gadgetery. The computer waits about two or three seconds after you pick up the phone before either a human starts talking to you or (worse) a pre-recorded message begins. If you pick up the phone and say nothing they just go away. It's particularly funny when it is a human on the other end ... "Oh, er, sorry, er, &lt;cough>, wrong number" has emanated from my phone a few times.

Usually I just 'listen' for silence and put the phone down straight away. it;s bad enough that they interrupt my work (I work from home) but worse that they use these insulting techniques and still expect us to buy stuff after enduring their hard-sell. Sadly it's coming over here too - I keep getting multiple automated calls a day telling me that I've won a "vacation to Florida"! Sadly as the calls are international they're outside the scope of the UK TPS (Telephone Preference Service) and BT aren't able to help block them either - quite annoying!

Alan

john-ross
01-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I love it when you have a hard reset and Audible needs to be re-regestered. (When you get home to your PC do do it). But on the remainder of your trip you read the airline magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alepard
01-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Sorry Ed, gotta disagree. I USED to have a lot of problems with Audible's software, but their latest release isn't so bad (except for unexpected closures). I like the variety and the content.

Have NEVER had a phone call from them in the five years I've been with them.

knipknup
01-28-2006, 03:35 AM
I have been quite pleased with Audible, though only a member for the past 10 months at $14.95 for 1 book/1 periodical subscription. I don't have the time in a day to listen to the daily periodicals and typically let those expire at the end of the month. However, I am making good use of the book credits listening to the Wheel of Time series, which takes a month per book for me. I have no commute, it is my relaxation time during lunch at work and what I listen to at the gym.

Also, audibleair is pretty cool if you have a ppc with built in phone. It allows me to load a portion of my book over the air and it automatically loads more as I get towards the end of each piece. Of course, it is in beta, so bugs happen.

I have received no phone calls yet...

However... I really don't understand this new deal. Since I don't listen to the wall street journal, if I switch over, that periodical credit is limited to a select few items that I am not interested in. When I do use the periodical credit, it is for Audible technology review - that is not listed on the new deal. I won't switch and will cancel when they try to make me.

k1darkknight
01-28-2006, 06:39 AM
I tried Audible briefly, but honestly didn't find many selections on their site that I wanted. I would mostly be looking for Star Wars audio books (yes, I know...I'm a Star Wars geek, in addition to being a PPC geek...lol). From what I've seen, my only options are to borrow the 'book on CD's from my local library, or actually BUY them - at the exorbitant price that CD books cost...really, $50+ for a book that only costs $10-30 in print? Well, there's always buying used CD books on Amazon, for typically around 1/2 the original price...
Anyway, I actually DID get 'the call' one time (that I know of), and told them to take me off their list (or something to that effect), as I wasn't interested in their service. I have never given them more than maybe...$20-30, one time, and don't plan on spending any more on their stuff, either. Besides, it's MUCH easier to convert audio CDs to mp3 any day! :rock on dude!:

EmporerEJ
01-30-2006, 04:38 AM
And I thought it was just me Audible was trying to Annoy.
And, Oh my, isn't it amazing there are other people with PocketPC software problems?
According to Audible, it was all me!

Jason Dunn
01-31-2006, 06:28 AM
I have been faxing them from my PC a text file of The Art of War everyday. I hope they enjoy reading it.

Bwahahaha...that's great! :lol: I remember back in the day I'd fax back this page of a giant black box that took up 99% of the 8.5 x 11" page...and I'd fax is 20 times. :twisted:

What ticks me off is how many cold callers call my business line - my number must be in a lot of databases. :?

Regarding Audible, I've never listened to an audio book in my life. If I had a commute where I had to drive, perhaps I would, but it doesn't fit in with how I travel.

karen
02-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Can anyone load audible.com today?

I've been trying most of the day. No luck.
Can't ping them, either.

Karen

karen
02-10-2006, 02:19 AM
...and it figures that their website is down - I'm leavning tomorrow on a trip with 20+ hours of flights.

Dang.

K

Darius Wey
02-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Can anyone load audible.com today?

It works okay for me. :)

karen
02-10-2006, 08:11 PM
It works for me, today, too.

But nothing last night, not even a ping.

I wonder if there was a bad DNS entry somewhere?

K

ctmagnus
02-11-2006, 04:32 AM
For a while, there was a blurb about construction on the front page. But I could connect to the site no problemo.

tanalasta
02-16-2006, 01:28 AM
I agree. Audible - despite my unsubscribing from their marketing repeated number of times - insist on spamming my inbox regardless.

It's frustrating enough that I don't order from them anymore. It's a pity really as they're a good source (albeit shockingly slow download servers occasionally and horrible website javascript design) of audiobooks.

For a company who's been around as long as Audible has been - they really should work harder at not annoying their existing customer base. They have enough customers, so why spam us all! :evil: